Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I'm a total technophobe and could need some help! +ve rep for helpful answers!

Basically, I am wanting to record some DVD's I have borrowed off a friend onto blank discs. My first question is - can I do this on my laptop? I can't seem to find it in the manual :/ I have a HP Compaq 6735s. Can I do it through windows media player?

Secondly, what discs do I buy? I did a search on play and it returned 97 results!!! I'm confused, will I be better with dvd-r or dvd+r? And does it matter about speed or anything?

Help greatly appreciated, I know nothing about computers and the like so any advice will be a bonus.

Thanks in advance =)

ReputationRep:
    anyone? please?

ReputationRep:
    It's illegal to copy copyrighted discs without permission, but if you have permission (or don't care ) you can use DVDShrink to do this. You're better off reading the instructions on their website as they're better written than a quick explanation on here would be, but basically it can cut out all the extras and compress (shrink) the main feature(s) to fit on a DVDR as writable DVDs typically have less capacity than commercial releases (single vs dual layer if you want to look it up, dual layer writable discs exist but often aren't worth the extra cost).

As for the type of discs you need, DVD-R are most popular but some drives can only use DVD+R. The manual won't tell you how to copy DVD films but should tell you what your drive is compatible with.

ReputationRep:
    windows media player can only burn cd's, not dvd's.
    therefore you will need a program to burn the files to the dvd. i good free program is imgburn or i've also found nero is good, but you have to pay for this.

speed wise, i burn dvd's at 8x. you can get drives that burn up to about 20x, but at high speeds it is more likely that your burn will have errors and be unsuccessful.

as for the dvd type, your laptop drive is apparently DVD+/–RW SuperMulti DL LightScribe Drive, which means you can use + or - discs, and dual layer ones if you want.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.