Turn on thread page Beta

Guitar book?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My friend got a guitar for Christmas and has been practising a lot since then, and has worked her way through the beginners book she's got. It's her birthday soon and I was thinking of getting her a guitar music songbook of contemporary songs, but I don't really know if what I'm looking at is suitable. So far I like the look of this book, but will she be able to use it and does it contain sheet music or what? She can read music well as she plays another instrument and seems to have picked up guitar really well too. Do you think the songs in this book may be too difficult? I know absolutely NOTHING about chords, etc. by the way). Thanks for any advice, I just feel a little lost and confused by it all right now!

ReputationRep:
    Please help! I've now found a book called 'New Rock Generation - Chord Songbook' - is this the type of thing I should be looking at (rather than the Guitar Tab version)?

ReputationRep:
    If you know what her favourite band is then get her a book of that bands songs. You can get them for specific albums or a greatest hits-esque one.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know, I've founds loads. I'm just wondering how I can work out if she'll actually be able to play them?! She is not an expert yet.

ReputationRep:
    I think she'll be fine with that book if you buy it. Chords are good to begin with and, as she has already been practising for some time, I think she'll have no problem with that. Many chords are easy to play and it's just good practice if there are some trickier ones. There are always easier versions of harder chords, too. So, I think you should definitely buy the book if you think she likes those bands. She doesn't have to be an expert at all to play them.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, cheers

ReputationRep:
    Um, I am confused again. What I really wanted is a book that contains sheet music, not tabs...and the ideal one to get would be one called "The Playlist - Chord Songbook 4". You can either get a tab version or chords version, but (please remember I am clueless about musique) it says the arrangement in that is "lyrics and chords" (click) and, well, that is not sheet music! I can't seem to find any that are not tabs, lyrics & chords, or melodies, lyrics & chords.

ReputationRep:
    Help?!

ReputationRep:
    I explored that site a bit and I think I found what you're looking for. http://www.musicroom.com/Browse/Arra..._arrangement63 It's a section called "Piano, Vocal & Guitar" and there should be books with sheet music. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, I'l go and have a browse, thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Only [major] problemo now is that I can't get that book & the mixed songbooks in that section seem a bit rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, see this, that's what the tab books look like apparently, so that would be okay wouldn't it cos there is "normal" music there too?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I was actually just about to post about that. That would probably be the best choice, then.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.