Undergraduates under 21 Watch

Johntheman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Why don't more than the 4000 young people at present study for their degree at OU? Why would anyone want to be in thousands of Pounds of debt when the OU = degree but not a single debt. In fact you can end up in the black!!!

Any ideas?
braceface
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I guess some people want the 'uni experience'.
lincs_b
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You should put this in general discussion lol. For some reason people don't seem to think that a ou degree is real, and I suppose most don't realise that you can basically study for free as long as you don't earn over 20k.
Johntheman
Rep:
?
Yeah. Then again maybe we should keep it secret!! lol
DaveParlour
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Uni is about alot more than simply the degree you get at the end of it.
the Alyx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't see what's wrong with OU, but a lot do think that a degree from OU is a lot of baloney. Maybe that's why.
tea_cakes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would have considered it had the OU offered the course I want to do. But I guess you'd miss out on the Uni life etc.
dg2008
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
the choice of degree's aren't that extensive.
Mithra
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No practical at all in a physics degree? No thanks.
Johntheman
Rep:
?
(Original post by DaveParlour)
Uni is about alot more than simply the degree you get at the end of it.
like?
Johntheman
Rep:
?
(Original post by the Alyx)
I don't see what's wrong with OU, but a lot do think that a degree from OU is a lot of baloney. Maybe that's why.
I thought they were respected. Conflicting reports on here certainly.
Johntheman
Rep:
?
(Original post by tea_cakes)
I would have considered it had the OU offered the course I want to do. But I guess you'd miss out on the Uni life etc.
If you want the Uni experience I still think you can go out and do things while studying with OU. No?
DaveParlour
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Johntheman)
like?
Moving away from home, getting out into the world, meeting new people, dealing with new situations and the experience generally grows you as a person and completely changes the rest of your life.
aimzdy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hmm cant study Molecular microbiology with OU nor can i do a second degree with them in Medicine either...both very good reasons in my opinion not to do a degree with them.
Likewise sciences are easier to learn when you can do practicals plus i doubt the OU would have given me the opportunity to gain a work placement with one of the best medical research companies in the world.
Plus i think if you're stuck on a something its much better to be able to talk to someone in person about it as opposed to sending emails.
xps.systems
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
screw the whole effeminate hype that is the uni 'expeience' - drinking, sh*gging, lying around, meeting new people etc, etc. blah blah...

a degree from a top Russell group uni TENDS to be more prestigious/valued by top employers more (though only really important if you want to work for them that is!), meaning that you can recoup much more than the initial expenditure on the degree.
Johntheman
Rep:
?
(Original post by xps.systems)
screw the whole effeminate hype that is the uni 'expeience' - drinking, sh*gging, lying around, meeting new people etc, etc. blah blah...

a degree from a top Russell group uni TENDS to be more prestigious/valued by top employers more (though only really important if you want to work for them that is!), meaning that you can recoup much more than the initial expenditure on the degree.
Sorry what?! :redface:

Are you a young OU student ?
Johntheman
Rep:
?
(Original post by DaveParlour)
Moving away from home, getting out into the world, meeting new people, dealing with new situations and the experience generally grows you as a person and completely changes the rest of your life.
I think I'll do that when I get my degree!
xps.systems
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sorry what?! :redface:

Are you a young OU student ?
no. why?
ThePants999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you want the Uni experience I still think you can go out and do things while studying with OU. No?
Have you been to uni? Being in a community of thousands of students, living with coursemates who can debate the finer points of your subject with you, running student societies, representing your uni at sport, standing for election to the union... is all rather different from "going out and doing things". I'm sorry, but while the OU offers a valuable alternative, particularly to those who want to fit their study round a career, it is NOT the same as going to uni, and it's ludicrous to suggest it is.

It's also rather disingenuous to suggest that you don't get into any debt with the OU. Student debt isn't just about paying fees - you do actually have to pay living costs while you're studying too.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Most want the uni experience. I can't believe people say it's not a real degree - you'd have to work damn hard because there is nobody there to help you. We have OU textbooks at the library (we're only doing A level) because they are so good (they need to be because of the distance learning...)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (48)
18.11%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (107)
40.38%
Nope, not that interesting (110)
41.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed