The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Scroll to see replies

Johntheman
I think I'll do that when I get my degree! :biggrin:

So you're going to spend another 3 years living at home?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
why would anyone do that?!!!!!!!
i'd go insane! (er)
Johntheman
I think I'll do that when I get my degree! :biggrin:

but you'll have missed out on years of life
Reply 24
The entire of my Department's degrees aren't offered at OU, so why would I want to study with them?
Reply 25
ThePants999
Have you been to uni? Being in a community of thousands of students, living with coursemates who can debate the finer points of your subject with you, running student societies, representing your uni at sport, standing for election to the union... is all rather different from "going out and doing things". I'm sorry, but while the OU offers a valuable alternative, particularly to those who want to fit their study round a career, it is NOT the same as going to uni, and it's ludicrous to suggest it is.

It's also rather disingenuous to suggest that you don't get into any debt with the OU. Student debt isn't just about paying fees - you do actually have to pay living costs while you're studying too.

Personally there were reasons why I couldn't go to a brick university as it where anyway!! - and no not disability thank goodness.

Yeah I take your point. People clearly don't mind the debt when you can have all that. But some people (majority) don't go to Uni at all anyway!
Reply 26
inksplodge
Most want the uni experience. I can't believe people say it's not a real degree - you'd have to work damn hard because there is nobody there to help you. We have OU textbooks at the library (we're only doing A level) because they are so good (they need to be because of the distance learning...)

Are you considering it?
Reply 27
DaveParlour
So you're going to spend another 3 years living at home?

Not quite as simple as that. I have been offered some valuable work experience in two areas this calendar year - so for me that's valuable.
Johntheman
Are you considering it?

I did, but I've decided to go purely for the "uni experience". I think it would be impossible for me to complete a degree in my household... it's a mad place! :tongue:
Reply 29
bansheeee*
but you'll have missed out on years of life

Please! I have some excellent work experience lined up this year.
Reply 30
inksplodge
I did, but I've decided to go purely for the "uni experience". I think it would be impossible for me to complete a degree in my household... it's a mad place! :tongue:

Where do you hope to go now? Best of luck!
Johntheman
Where do you hope to go now? Best of luck!

I'm not sure yet, haven't quite decided. =) Thank you! Good luck to you, too!
Medicine with OU. The very thought sounds quite intriguing.
Reply 33
inksplodge
I'm not sure yet, haven't quite decided. =) Thank you! Good luck to you, too!

Thanks
Reply 34
Mask Of Sanity
Medicine with OU. The very thought sounds quite intriguing.

I don't know if you can do medicine with them.
Reply 35
DaveParlour
Uni is about alot more than simply the degree you get at the end of it.

agreed
also, it seems that the lot of OU is full of mature students and a lot of people think that conventional Unis have more subject choices
Reply 36
inksplodge
We have OU textbooks at the library (we're only doing A level)

Am I the only person who lol'd at that? :biggrin:

OU isn't really that great a university. It's very good at giving chances to people who left school at 15 and now have commitments but if you don't have commitments it's just "why?".
RyanT
Am I the only person who lol'd at that? :biggrin:

OU isn't really that great a university. It's very good at giving chances to people who left school at 15 and now have commitments but if you don't have commitments it's just "why?".

Why would you lol at it, exactly? :confused: OU have great resources - they NEED them because otherwise how else will students learn?

There seems to be a lot of people with disabilities too, who would otherwise struggle at a university/away from home.
Johntheman
I don't know if you can do medicine with them.

I haven't a clue tbh, but I don't think it'd be very practical. Quite literally.
I have nothing against the Open University - I considered it myself last year. However, with a degree such as Business and Management, you need to discuss things with other students, debate concepts and ideas and it's hard to get different opinions when working alone apart from those that are written.

Latest