The charity shop appreciation thread Watch

just_tha_bboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've been loving charity shops lately! Not Oxfam or those stupid overpriced vintage shops that litter around cities like Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds. I'm talking about real charity shops!

Yes you have to trawl through loads of crap that not even a crackhead would wear but i suppose some people would thats the magic of them!

Recently i've found a really nice leather jacket and a sick looking adidas tracksuit top on the cheap in my local ones
bansheeee*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i love charity shops !! Espiecally my local st vincents de paul in galway city
bansheeee*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
especially*
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i use them lots to buy books xd
Jacccckkkkkkk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I always want to find really cool vintage stuff in them, but alas, i always come out disappointed! I will keep trying though. I usually buy quite a few books/cds whenever I enter one though.
she
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Charity shops are great! Don't find clothes in them often though.
~Chelsey~
Report 9 years ago
I used to find loads of good things, now they seem to be full of people donating primark stuff.. which is then priced at roughly the same price as it was new.
North
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Love charity shops! Got so many clothes from there loads of great jumpers, cardigans that are awesome quality. hehe I got 3 Dvds for £5 the other day, they all work and are well good films! Yeah gotta love them.
wildcat123
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ~Chelsey~)
I used to find loads of good things, now they seem to be full of people donating primark stuff.. which is then priced at roughly the same price as it was new.

I've noticed this too. How annoying.

I never really find clothes in charity shops, I find things I like but they're always the wrong size! Though I did find this amazing dress not long ago, I couldn't resist it, was like 2 sizes too big but I got my trusty granny to take it in! Hurrah!

I always get jewelry and books in copious amounts though. Awesome.
Nouvelle vague
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Going to London next week, any recommendations? I've never been!
North
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nouvelle vague)
Going to London next week, any recommendations? I've never been!
Never been to London? or never been to a charity shop? :p:

Can't give you much help on the London front depends what you're looking for. If it's designer clothes the accepted wisdom is to go to nicer areas = nicer donations!

http://www.timeout.com/london/shoppi...ity_shops.html

This article might help you out. But tbh I prefer the shops that are all a mess and you have to go a hunting for anything good But have fun!
amika
Report 9 years ago
i love charity shops. i always find a record i've been looking for for years, or an amazing piece of clothing.
Nouvelle vague
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by North)
Never been to London? or never been to a charity shop? :p:

Can't give you much help on the London front depends what you're looking for. If it's designer clothes the accepted wisdom is to go to nicer areas = nicer donations!

http://www.timeout.com/london/shoppi...ity_shops.html

This article might help you out. But tbh I prefer the shops that are all a mess and you have to go a hunting for anything good But have fun!
Sorry, I meant I've never been to London. But thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!
Luce-eeeee
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I went to the Sue Ryder charity shop last week and bought a gorgeoussssss patent handbag, in the 'vintage' section. It's 60s ish we reckon? But regardless of the date, I love it- patent black, short strap, a little bit boxy and has an internal clasp fastening, which can just be seen from the outside. Oh man, it's beautiful. And for just £3.50, it really was a find!! Took it to my prom

And if I had size 2 feet, I would have bought these patent navy/cream peeptoe kitten heal shoes, with matching handbad...they were beautifulllllllll.

Also, I bought a floor length size 14 Laura Ashley dress for a few quid the other day...I'm only an 8, but the fabric was so thick and beautiful, I bought it so that I can make a shorter summer dress and skirt from it
cherbearbunnykins
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I love charity shops too! Cancer Research shops now have a vintage section which has some great stuff. I have noticed the Primark stuff too, although I have bought a few items as they're usually about half the price.

Have found some great stuff in charity shops over the years!
fearny1989
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I found some topshop washed out pippa jeans yesterday in oxfam yesterday for 4.99, they fit perfectly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (75)
19.38%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (157)
40.57%
Nope, not that interesting (155)
40.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed