Yes, but am I too mature? Watch

Gamow
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I am really quite old (did my A levels in the early 1970s:rolleyes: ) but really want to do a physics degree. I think I may get accepted for a degree with a foundation year but what really concerns me is being so much older.

What does everyone think? Anyone in the same position?
julia101
Report 9 years ago
I say go for it, your never too mature. Im 39 and have been accepted on the foundation year in Science to go on and study Forensic biology. From what i've read on here there's a real mix of ages.
Good luck, just go for it.
IndiePixie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There was a guy on my degree course who was 71 - he graduated with a 2:1 and is now studying for his PhD. Go for it!
wallflower*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've met mature students in their 70's before, so compared to some you will still be wet behind the ears!
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
wow lol
mullings1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would say move forward and don't look back, I am 39 years and have been accepted on a degree course to study law. You have nothing to lose, don't look at your age as a hinderance but to your advantage. Best of luck
Ekpyrotic
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
Everyone should craft their own life, regardless of whether there are social norms to break in the process.

Go for it.
Ehmo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Totally do it!
I think it's excellent that you want to do something like that. Respect.:cool:
Owly
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go for it. One of my friends at uni is 61. I'm only (!) in my 30s, and I love uni. There will be one of two immature people who look down on you, for being older than them, but the vast majority of students are welcoming and don't give a toss about age. Good luck, you can do it!
Ruthie!
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go for it!
You're never too old. Even my grandad talks of going to do a degree and he's 68 now!
vander Beth
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Never too late for education.

Go for it!
lyncici
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm more worried about how I'm going to tolerate noisy, drunken, smokey teenagers ... and messy, selfish, inconsiderate flatmates, since I have been "queen of my castle" for over a decade now! :redface:

But of course, that's part of learning new things and collecting new experiences yah!:woo:
the Alyx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My dad is 55 and he has been studying extra courses for the past 4 years to get new qualifications. So I suggest you go for it.
Em_maK
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The older students on my philosophy module were the best ones!
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Uni is for people of all ages :fluffy:
JMonkey
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm studying towards a physics degree myself. Don't see how age matters at all to be honest, if you like physics then why not? A friend of mine has a PhD and recently studied a philosophy course with the OU. Even if it's not for career purposes, it's still going to be very challenging and rewarding. If it is all the better.

One question though, hows your maths? And did you do it at A' level, if so you might want to dust off the old text books as physics is a hell of a lot of maths.
little_green
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go for it! There were loads of 50/60 year olds on my course and they got on well with everyone, plus my uncle is starting nursing in September at 51. It's never too late.
SoapyDish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Someone who goes to the same St John Ambulance division as me is starting at Peninsula Medical School in 2010, having done an engineering degree at the normal age of 18ish. He must be about 50? So yeah, it's not unheard of.
User182034
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lyncici)
I'm more worried about how I'm going to tolerate noisy, drunken, smokey teenagers ... and messy, selfish, inconsiderate flatmates, since I have been "queen of my castle" for over a decade now! :redface:

But of course, that's part of learning new things and collecting new experiences yah!:woo:
I definitely don't intend to drink or party uncontrollably at university-in fact I'd love more people like you to attend university as it might mean some intelligent conversation while some people are off drinking/messing up their rooms :-)
ancientone
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Gamow)
I am really quite old (did my A levels in the early 1970s:rolleyes: ) but really want to do a physics degree. I think I may get accepted for a degree with a foundation year but what really concerns me is being so much older.

What does everyone think? Anyone in the same position?
1973 I did my A levels (and screwed them up). Cut a long story short and I went back in 2004 to do a degree in a subject I'd always been interested in. Just sort of stayed there- now done Masters and started PhD this year so the answer is no - you're not too old (similar age to me by the look of it), and I enjoyed myself tremendously - otherwise I wouldn't still be here. And yes - I've been in the same position. Personally, and it isn't for everyone, but for me it's been the best thing I've ever done. Give it a go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (142)
27.41%
No (376)
72.59%

Watched Threads