Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if there are any Viola or Violin players on here?

I already play and teach clarinet and flute, play oboe and piano as well to a lesser standard and would really like to start the Viola, while I had lessons from the age of 7 for Clarinet and lessons on Piano from 12-16 Flute I learnt with the help of a friend and oboe I taught myself both to a good standard, Flute I am a good Gd. 8 standard, on average how long does it take to start producing a nice sound out of the viola and get to the standard required for a local orchestra (say Gd. 5)?

ReputationRep:
    To get to a good standard, I would say around 5 years, ish. depends on how fast you pick up the techniques and stuff. I got to grade 5 violin in 5 years with lessons once every week.

but it really just depends on yourself.

ReputationRep:
    My bf reckons its a bit quicker than 5 years (maybe 2/3) as you're already a musician...(he plays viola for the local youth symphony orchestra)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks To be honest my main motivation (apart from really liking the Viola as an instrument, love the range) is to play in a local orchestra, can't get a place on Clarinet for love nor money, despite being LRSM level, on just about every orchestras waiting list for a 50 mile radius and so miss the County Youth Orchestra I was principal clarinet for

ReputationRep:
    i can relate...i'm more of a woodwind/piano player and took up the violin.

i can't give a time frame on the violin to a great extent...i started playing summer 07 and got grade 3 tother day so i think the process is a fair bit slower than woodwind (based on how long it took me on those)

as a side note, based on the LRSM, i reckon you should audition for other orchestras on the clarinet what with being at such a good level on that

ReputationRep:
    Laura, thankyou

No one within say a 50 mile radius is looking for a Clarinettists and nearly all are not orchestras you audition for, so I don't think I could try that even I have emailed a few so will try some more, there is the professional ViVA orchestra also I presume to even audition as a professional player you would need at least a B.Mus, if theres places!!

Do certainly want to have a go at the Viola though, so am going to start and see how it goes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Porscha!)
    Laura, thankyou

No one within say a 50 mile radius is looking for a Clarinettists and nearly all are not orchestras you audition for, so I don't think I could try that even I have emailed a few so will try some more, there is the professional ViVA orchestra also I presume to even audition as a professional player you would need at least a B.Mus, if theres places!!

Do certainly want to have a go at the Viola though, so am going to start and see how it goes
    yeah, you can never play too many instruments

i think (but am not totally sure) that Licentiate (sp) diplomas are equal to degrees in music (would be good to hear others take on this...anyone? lol)

ReputationRep:
    If you can play viola, even at only a grade 3/4 standard....you'll be snapped up for plenty of orchestras.

They tend to be in very low demand, and are always needed.

Seeing as you're already quite musical, you should find the basics easy and from there it's just a matter of practice.

ReputationRep:
    wow! i didn't know violas were that in demand..when i get better at the violin i would definately love to take up viola one day

ReputationRep:
    The only problem is adjusting to the new cleft...which can be a right *****

ReputationRep:
    Done Alto clef in theory always a bit more difficult in practise though to remember lol!

ReputationRep:
    ah yeah, must take a bit of getting used to...would be so rewarding though to be good at as many cleffs as possible

ReputationRep:
    I play violin <3
    I have a viola but... i haven't yet taken the time to properly learn alto clef :O ! I'm not gonna be a violist, im gonna be a violinist, so i have to wait till i have a lot of spare time to have extra time to spend on viola! So for the moment, i just play it like a violin O_O

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.