Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how is it possible to get accepted for industrial design by brunel that has the second place in the times and guardian league tables and get rejected by central saint martins that is 30th?

ReputationRep:
    Did you get interviewed for either?

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend got rejected by Bristol and accepted by Cambridge. Things like that happen.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Charlski)
    My boyfriend got rejected by Bristol and accepted by Cambridge. Things like that happen.
    lucky boy =p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slick 'n' Shady)
    Did you get interviewed for either?
    yeah , for both

ReputationRep:
    Because league tables are not really a true represenation of whether a Uni is better or worse than another, it's just a biased point of view. Why don't you ask Saint Martins why the rejected you?

Does it really matter? I know somebody who got rejected from Sheffield yet accepted into LSE. Different uni's look for different things, academic ability is obviously top but there are other factors they consider, hence the Personal Statement.

ReputationRep:
    Because league tables are nothing but a set of statistics given silly weightings and not really a reliable measure of how good universities and departments are (and certainly not how competitive they are).

It may seem like a lottery some of the time. What worked for one admissions tutor (whether it was something in your PS or interview) didn't work for another. There can be a number of reasons. Sometimes it's just bad luck.

ReputationRep:
    I do agree with the posts above. League tables aren't a reliable measure of how good universities are. Glasgow School of Art isn't even on some league tables because of it's small number of courses and student population, but has a good reputation in art and design.

I must add that the natural of the two courses are quite different. CSM in most cases expect students to have taken an art foundation. They want this because the course concentrates on creative ability and the thinking behind design, as well as aesthetics etc. CSM don't really mind about grades as long as you have the experience and creative side.

Brunel however do not expect a foundation when you apply, but do expect you to have good grades. I have a feeling their course is more design and design tech/engineer led.

ReputationRep:
    Industrial Design is more than art, take the Brunel course it is not one of the top Industrial design courses in the country for nothing.

(btw you should have applied to Loughborough

ReputationRep:
    It happens, I got rejected by Brighton and accepted by Brunel for Multimedia. Brighton was much lower ranked :P Weird
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    To reiterate the above, newspaper league tables are not especially accurate, nor do they determine the worthiness of an institution, particularly in art and design. It's also worth bearing in mind that Central Saint Martins is internationally recognized, in account of its 150 year existence and famous alumni. This, in turn, does attract students from all over the world (evidenced by its diverse international intake) and is consequently very competitive. Moreover, like da Vinci has stated, CSM heavily encourages applicants that have undergone an art foundation course prior to entry, rarely accepting those that are from A-Levels only. It's better to look at industry funded governing bodies and award schemes, rather than newspaper league tables, for this area.

ReputationRep:
    CSM is hard to get into and many students take a foundation at csm and then continue there

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.