How does one go about applying when at another university? Watch

necessarily benevolent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Yes, well my query concerns the practicalities of one going about UCAS-ing when at university. I don't know where I'm going yet, but probably St Andrews (or UCL :redface:). Considering the whole issue of sub-honours (the Scottish system - doing three subjects in first two years etc.) I think it would be fun to have a go. Also, because the course is four years anyway, an (unlikely) acceptance wouldn't make a huge difference. If the opportunity is there it would be silly to let it go begging. I'd have absolutely nothing to lose. As one TSR member - I think - put it, "you're keeping one foot in the ship when jumping".

Well, what I really want to know is, is there really a chance of acceptance when at a different institution? Would it not just be a waste? Are you treated cynically at interview (were that to arise)? I also know that you need permission from your current university (and a good reference - can this be from your school?). Is your current institution always going to concede or is it very unlikely that they would? If not could you apply independently?

Has there ever been a case where such an exploit has been successful?
Andy the Anarchist
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
Yes, well my query concerns the practicalities of one going about UCAS-ing when at university. I don't know where I'm going yet, but probably St Andrews (or UCL :redface:). Considering the whole issue of sub-honours (the Scottish system - doing three subjects in first two years etc.) I think it would be fun to have a go. Also, because the course is four years anyway, an (unlikely) acceptance wouldn't make a huge difference. If the opportunity is there it would be silly to let it go begging.

Well, what I really want to know is, is there really a chance of acceptance when at a different institution? Would it not just be a waste? Are you treated cynically at interview (were that to arise)? I also know that you need permission from your current university (and a good reference - can this be from your school?). Is your current institution always going to concede or is it very unlikely that they would? If not could you apply independently?

I didn't know it was even possible whilst enrolled as a student at another institution.
necessarily benevolent
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
I didn't know it was even possible whilst enrolled as a student at another institution.
http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/start...dyatuniversity
Mimbobanage
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Umm while I was at Brunel I phoned my college and basically I had to reapply through the college using the buzzword and stuff and one of my teachers wrote me a different reference, in my personal statement I just mentioned a bit why I wanted to leave and stuff, with regards to permission to leave I didn't have to get it from tutors and stuff, I went to the social science admin place and said hi I want to drop out and they gave me a short form and here I am now ready to start loughborough in September
codemonkey
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can re-apply for first year again, but for UCL,KCL,IC,LSE its not possible to switch.
necessarily benevolent
Rep:
?
(Original post by codemonkey)
You can re-apply for first year again, but for UCL,KCL,IC,LSE its not possible to switch.
You mean into the second year?

That wouldn't be my intention anyway.
HoVis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, well my query concerns the practicalities of one going about UCAS-ing when at university. I don't know where I'm going yet, but probably St Andrews (or UCL :redface:). Considering the whole issue of sub-honours (the Scottish system - doing three subjects in first two years etc.) I think it would be fun to have a go. Also, because the course is four years anyway, an (unlikely) acceptance wouldn't make a huge difference. If the opportunity is there it would be silly to let it go begging. I'd have absolutely nothing to lose. As one TSR member - I think - put it, "you're keeping one foot in the ship when jumping".
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post17802975

May I refer to you to post no 26 regarding the Scottish sub-honours course? From what oxymoronic says here the sub-honours years in Scotland certainly aren't easy and there would probably still be some overlap if you applied for Year 1 at Oxford (or Cambridge :mad: ) and then went there having done Year 1 at St Andrew's...

What'll you do if you go to your uni and you fall in love with it?

And, TM, I'm not online. :ninja:
--
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
See:

Students at other UK universities
Please note that the Cambridge Colleges will not normally, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students attending other UK universities applying to study the same or a very similar subject at Cambridge.

If you wish to make such an application it will have to be strongly supported by your tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from him/her to the Cambridge College will be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider it.

If you wish to apply to Cambridge to read a different subject from the one you are currently studying at a UK university, we would assume that you had had a change of heart and no longer wish to study the subject you are currently pursuing. In this case your application would be considered, but would still need strong support from your current university tutor.

If you are in the final year of a Bachelors degree at another UK university you are, of course, welcome to apply for admission as an affiliated student.
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...herroutes.html
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes.
theoldnurse
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Someone I know went to UCL but tried for Oxford while there (in her first year) and got a place so it must be possible somehow...
bigman_ben
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it is possible yes, as I've reapplied for my first year and I'll be starting at Leeds Met in September rather than doing my second year at Sheffield Hallam
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?