Arrested, detained, DNA and trial.... for writing in chalk Watch

Rian1988
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...police-protest

Rarely has there been a more pathetic arrest than that of 23-year-old university student Paul Saville, who was confronted by four members of Britain's new breed of petty minded police officers after writing in chalk on a pavement, "Liberty: the right to question. The right to ask: 'Are we free?"'

With a wonderful lack of irony, the officers told him to stop writing. When he added one more letter they arrested him for criminal damage. The second year sociology and criminology student told the Daily Telegraph: "The whole reason I was writing in chalk was because I wanted to get my message across without causing lasting damage.

A point, of course, confirmed by the absurd behaviour ofthe police who... now regard disobedience as a criminal matter.

For expressing himself in a manner that caused neither damage nor offence, Saville was detained for two hours, photographed, fingerprinted and had a DNA sample taken. The police also examined photographs on his digital camera. He has pleaded not guilty to a charge of causing criminal damage under £5,000 and now awaits trial.
What is your opinion on this? I didn't think chalk on a pavement is criminal damage.
Annaconda
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
they should prosecsute kids for playing hopscotch then
aliphatic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That's actually ridiculous. Police time could be much better spent.
Rian1988
Rep:
?
(Original post by Annaconda)
they should prosecsute kids for playing hopscotch then
Erm they have: http://www.birminghammail.net/news/b...7319-17476597/
Annaconda
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rian1988)
Erm they have: http://www.birminghammail.net/news/b...7319-17476597/
ok that is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard!
Scipio_Africanus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

What is your opinion on this? I didn't think chalk on a pavement is criminal damage.
The law is the law; follow it like a good human slave or feel the wrath of The Man.
Rian1988
Rep:
?
The worst part is
The 12-year-olds concerned spent two hours in a cell, had their photographs, fingerprints and DNA swabs taken.
Surely a windup?
Fawn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are two sides to every story. What's with the fashionable police bashing as of late?
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Vandalising things, whether with chalk or not (and, properly done, chalk can certainly endure the rain) is quite rightly illegal.

I don't agree with fingerprinting and taking DNA from every arrested person. But in this case, he was properly arrested - hell, he was even given a chance to possibly not be arrested and he continued his offence in front of uniformed police constables.

He'll go up before a magistrate, plead guilty and get his insignificant fine - exactly as should happen. There's no news there.
terpineol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I look forward to seeing how this plays out.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
welcome to labours britain.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why? I wouldn't want people writing all over streets, pavements or whatever else - and clearly neither did the local residents in that case.
LooieENG
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I hope he gets life :mad:
Annaconda
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Why? I wouldn't want people writing all over streets, pavements or whatever else - and clearly neither did the local residents in that case.
chalk washes off anyway, sure they could be ordered to scrub it off, but putting 12 year olds in a cell for a couple of hours!?!
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
chalk washes off anyway, sure they could be ordered to scrub it off, but putting 12 year olds in a cell for a couple of hours!?!
Not if its applied properly, and at any rate not until it either rains or someone cleans it off. Moreover, police don't have the power to order anyone to clean anything.
Halle Burton
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
normally for something like that you'd receive little more than a summons to appear in court.

obviously something went terribly wrong.
Barry Chuckle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I did think you are a labour supporter?

If I am incorrect I apologize, if I am right...........
supernickym
Report 9 years ago
He could always NOT have vandalised the pavement, trust the Guardian to bash the Police
Halle Burton
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This guy needs to be put on notice:

Rian1988
Rep:
?
(Original post by Barry Chuckle)
I did think you are a labour supporter?

If I am incorrect I apologize, if I am right...........
No I'm not actually.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (173)
67.58%
No (83)
32.42%

Watched Threads