Turn on thread page Beta

Ok, mumps have been going around my college as of late and about a week ago I woke up with slight swelling around my glands, felt alright though so paid it no mind.

Now I've been in bed all day. I've a fever (feel cold even though my actual body temp must be pretty high), a bit of a headache, feel really tired and my right ******* hurts (seriously). It doesn't look swollen but there's a constant dull pain and a sharp one if touched.

Basically I've been bed ridden all day, up a couple of times to go to the toilet (urine seems fine) but felt awful the whole time. I haven't eaten anything, going to try and make some pasta now, and most worryingly of all I am here by myself. Parents are in another country, all my flatmates and neighbours gone home for the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    Is your local surgey open? or a walk in place? maybe call nhs direct they can advise as well, that sounds a bit like Ive been feeling the last weeks and now my glands hurt too eep

ReputationRep:
    Have you had your 2 doses of MMR jab?
    If you do have mumps then there's not much you can do about it, you're GP may be able to do something for the pain but not much else.
    Hope you feel better soon

Don't think I had the second MMR....
    Symptoms have been changing today, from headache (front of head) to bucketing sweat to feverish symptoms.

I don't know whether to go to the college doctor tomorrow or straight to the hospital. They're both likely to prescribe me anti-inflammatories and some other pills, which would mean going to the Chemist which is opposite the hospital anyway, the trouble is I honestly don't know if I could make it there (15-20 min walk).

ReputationRep:
    I would sugges that you do go and see the doctor, as it could be important to get this sorted, if it is mumps. The hospital will give you the medication if you go there. What ever thing you do, as long as you see someone. As there is a possibility it could be mumps i would get it checked as quickly as i could.

ReputationRep:
    There is no treatment if you have got mumps!!!!

There's no point going looking for medication at either a GP or a hospital. On the other hand, it could not be mumps. So I'd suggest going to your GP if it persists tomorrow.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Go to the doctor and get yourself checked over. Tell them that the mumps are going round, although if you go to the uni doctors they will probably know.

Better to err on the side of caution, even if you've just got a infection. Mumps can cause infertility in men.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2009
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.