Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been to a uni part time for a year(Chester) then Hull(Scarborough campus) for a year and passed both years but neither I liked for different reasons.

Chester was nice but a bit dull, shops were nice but expensive and the bars were ok but clubs were boring, Scarborough is a lovely seaside town but not many shops here either and not very good for drinking.

I want to change and go somewhere which not necessarily has a packed student life but is kinda like the stereotype Hollyoaks stuff, I.e has a nice student bar, regular events, nice accomodation and good for a laugh as I suffer from depression and have aspergers and dyspraxia so get stressed easily and need stimulation of the body and mind to do well.

I dont mind restarting again if need be, but in 27 in summer so need somewhere that isnt full of arrogant under 20's(no offense)

ReputationRep:
    No offence but shouldn't your main concern be about getting your degree? Going out is good and all but that could be done at home if I wanted..

ReputationRep:
    you've made me think about whether my firm-choice uni will be good or not in non-acedemical terms. is UEA good for student life.

I'd say choose a proper univeristy, can't speak for Hull but Chester has only been a University since 2005 and started offering phd's in 2007 :rolleyes: Every university I visited for open days had a proper student nightlife. But tbh at 27 you're going to feel older than everyone anyway and you should just be concentrating on finishing your degree.

ReputationRep:
    hallam
    trent
    leeds
    manchester

ReputationRep:
    Manchester/Nottingham/Birmingham/Liverpool/London - think big =D But really, just get you degree, you can party afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polka_dott)
    No offence but shouldn't your main concern be about getting your degree? Going out is good and all but that could be done at home if I wanted..
    When I say student life I dont necesarrily mean going out but day trips, clubs and societys etc.

I have been drinking about 3 times since christmas and one time had 3 drinks, other had 8 drinks, other had about 4 drinks so not a massive drinker, never have been even when I left home.

I never drink alcohol unless I'm going out which is rarely but due to depression and issues PLUS my disabilities I may have the body of a 26 year old but the heart of a 21 year old still(which may be due to that being when problems started)

I already have plenty of qualifications to fall back on so not too much of a problem but plan to work hard still but all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy!

ReputationRep:
    Haha - the irony that you want university to be just like Hollyoaks, and you've been at Chester Uni...

Basically, as someone said, the bigger the city you go to, the better. I'm at Southampton Uni, which is in a pretty big city - and to be honest, the size of it makes it perfect for a student city. Any smaller and I think I'd get a bit bored.

ReputationRep:
    Athough St Andrews is small, when I visited it seemed to have a good student camaraderie.

ReputationRep:
    From your descriptions it sounds like you'd prefer a big city, or student cities that are very focused on making life easier for students. It's true that pretty much all unis endeavour to do this but the best student cities are generally considered to be Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, London, Liverpool etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryouga)
    I have been to a uni part time for a year(Chester) then Hull(Scarborough campus) for a year and passed both years but neither I liked for different reasons.

Chester was nice but a bit dull, shops were nice but expensive and the bars were ok but clubs were boring, Scarborough is a lovely seaside town but not many shops here either and not very good for drinking.

I want to change and go somewhere which not necessarily has a packed student life but is kinda like the stereotype Hollyoaks stuff, I.e has a nice student bar, regular events, nice accomodation and good for a laugh as I suffer from depression and have aspergers and dyspraxia so get stressed easily and need stimulation of the body and mind to do well.

I dont mind restarting again if need be, but in 27 in summer so need somewhere that isnt full of arrogant under 20's(no offense)
    Manchester, Manchester Met and Salford just cos their in the Manchester. I would also say UCLAN, it is in Preston, does not have an amazing night life but still good and is within easy distance of Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Athough St Andrews is small, when I visited it seemed to have a good student camaraderie.
    Tis very very true! :yep: Small doesn't mean we don't have a proper student life, or that there's nothing going on...! There's never a dull moment here! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NEVERYOUMIND)
    you've made me think about whether my firm-choice uni will be good or not in non-acedemical terms. is UEA good for student life.
    Yep, Norwich is awesome :yep:

OP - as others have said, basing your Uni choice on nightlife isn't really the best of ideas. But if you're looking for big nightlife, then I'd recommend the likes of Newcastle, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol etc. And London if you have plenty of money :redface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Manchester/Nottingham/Birmingham/Liverpool/London - think big =D But really, just get you degree, you can party afterwards.
    But I think that's the point, the OP isn't really looking for the traditional party and student cities of Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds etc. He has said that he's not looking for "packed student life" and, although it's unfair to stereotype all people with Asperger's as I know all aren't like this, but I suspect he doesn't like to spend too much time in large, packed, busy and nosy places. Is this correct OP or am I way off the mark?

Hollyoaks is a fictional programme (and isn't even based around a university). You will not find anything like that. But Exeter, UEA, Lancaster and maybe Durham will offer what you're looking for. Maybe more balanced, quieter cities, the opportunity to have just a few drinks at a bar or pub yet still some chances for gigs, more hectic clubs etc.

If you are thinking about the major student cities then Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, Bristol (basically all the major cities) rate well. Newcastle and, on TSR at least, Manchester are two of the best but it does depend on what you're looking for.

Did you leave Chester because you found it boring and you're now thinking about leaving Hull? If this is the case then, being blunt for a moment, time isn't on your side. You really need to get over this and just concentrate on work. Yes, it is important that you need to find somwhere you'll be happy at, but don't go around trying to find this "Hollyoaks" lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnythemoose)
    Haha - the irony that you want university to be just like Hollyoaks, and you've been at Chester Uni...
    EXACTLY this!

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what you define as a 'proper student life'. Loughborough and St Andrews get top ratings for satisfaction- but they're vastly different to city based universities. I'd say Durham- its in a small, but not too small, setting, and is close to a largeish city with good rail links. Means you can have the quiet life, but you're not constrained to it should you want the city experience should you so wish.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisticated)
    Yep, Norwich is awesome :yep:

OP - as others have said, basing your Uni choice on nightlife isn't really the best of ideas. But if you're looking for big nightlife, then I'd recommend the likes of Newcastle, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol etc. And London if you have plenty of money :redface:
    oh cool .how dya know norwich is awesome tho cos your at the university of exeter? and hwat makes it so "awesome"?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what UCLan, Huddersfield and Napier are like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NEVERYOUMIND)
    oh cool .how dya know norwich is awesome tho cos your at the university of exeter? and hwat makes it so "awesome"?
    I went to visit UEA. It was my insurance choice. And my aunt and uncle live in Norwich. They're pretty young and cool, I feel I have to add, and they say the nightlife is good. Plus it apparently has a pub for every day of the year. Whats not good about that? :p:

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.