Goverment target that 50% of the population Watch

cocacola786
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
should go to university. Do you think this target is too high or is it still not enough?
Puma
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think thats right, the number of people who should go to Uni should be the number of people who are bright enough to go.
polka_dott
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it is too high a target. Not everyone wants/is the type to go to university.

They need to get good enough GCSEs first in order to be able to do A Levels and a lot of 16 year olds do not get C grades in Maths and English! That should be worked on.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As far as I can remember it wasn't 50% should be at university but rather 50% should be in university or some form of further education or training. This places quite a different slant on things. I don't think anyone has suggested that half of the population (or half of those 18 - 24 ) are university material.
Elementric
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by River85)
As far as I can remember it wasn't 50% should be at university but rather 50% should be in university or some form of further education or training. This places quite a different slant on things. I don't think anyone has suggested that half of the population (or half of those 18 - 24 ) are university material.
This would make a lot more sense. There are plenty of jobs where a university education is just impractical and an apprenticeship or alternative training would be far more useful. What the government seem to be forgetting is that going to university isn't always going to be a benefit by any means.
cocacola786
(Original post by River85)
yeah sorry, its in fact 50% should go to "higher education."
Podgeykins
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Higher Education is not just university,

If 1 in 2 people went to university, there would be no more worth in it.
cocacola786
(Original post by Elementric)
This would make a lot more sense. There are plenty of jobs where a university education is just impractical and an apprenticeship or alternative training would be far more useful. What the government seem to be forgetting is that going to university isn't always going to be a benefit by any means.
Yeah i agree, its as though they are making a false promise that if you go to univeristy you are guaranteed a good job. The future isn't so bright for the majority studying photography at Leeds met!
screenager2004
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It'd be a bit worrying if they meant university only! If the average IQ is supposedly 100 then that'd mean you'd have people with that IQ graduating! .... Hmm, what is the average IQ of a university grad? Better not ask, IQ scores are dubious anyway!
sam161
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They should work on getting 50% of the population to go into further education (.e.g A levels at college) and come out with high grades first.

I know so many people getting Ds and below, and despite that being a pass, these are people that want to go to uni... with entry requirements around As and Bs, sometimes Cs, what are these people gonna do?
SFsucks
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wish the goverment didn't stick there nose into everything... the only two who decide if someone gets into university is the universities and the students.
Vincente
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think the government should encourage it; the UK pales in comparison to many developed countries, especially the increasingly influental east Asian nations. But then there is the issue of quality...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (16)
18.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (36)
42.35%
Nope, not that interesting (33)
38.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed