my dad's solution is to throw money at everything Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
keep anon please

i am so sick of my dad, i really am. he's not mentally stable, he will have a nervous breakdown if me and my sister rile up an argument. i came downstairs to tell my parents something about my ucas. i was complaining about the fact that i received four rejections for medicine and was just ranting on about how crap my life felt and my parents didn't say anything. i got so annoyed by their lack of response. my dad was watching a film, my mum was on the laptop. before going back upstairs i made a snide remark about how they're crap parents since they can't even console or talk to me about how i'm feeling. this got my dad extremely angry. he started chasing me upstairs and wanted to hit me for being undisciplined etc. he even threatened to kick me out because the only reason i came downstairs was to cause an arguement which was not true. i opened my door and he ripped off his shirt and starting grinding his teeth and screamed too. he then went to his room, took his briefcase which has like £30,000 in it. he then said he'd leave with his money and we'd never see him again. i eventually broke down in tears and started saying sorry. he wouldn't accept it. i cried and cried and eventually i flipped and threw his suitcase down the stairs and told him to rot in hell with his worthless money. i said that when he died, i'd make sure to stuff his coffin with money since he cares more about it than trying to resolve anything. he blames my mum for how my sister and i have turned out. when i went to hug him he thought i pushed him and his reaction was to throw a hanger at my crotch which ached for a while. i just gave up and went to bed and started sobbing. he proceeded to argue with my mum till 4am. i heard everything that was siad. he was very rude and disrespectful to her. this morning he came from town and gave me a shirt and tie and expects me to forget everything he did. is that supposed to be his sorry? oh and he ended up buying my mum a £25,000 mercedez benz. i am actually at a breaking point. i am 18, i am forced to have a gap year living with my crazy family and it's affecting my studying. i don't even know if i'll get the grades to reapply for medicine at this rate. i absolutely hate my life. getting into med school and uni was something i wanted so much because it was a way out of this home and a way for me to discover what i hope to achieve in life. i ask myself if i am really cut out to be a doctor with a family like mine. all the med applicants at my school have relatively normal, happy lives, working class etc whereas i look at myself and my family who are well off to some extent yet very unhappy and struggling to stay as one unit. i am so embarassed.
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Paragraphs, dude.
curryADD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Paragraphs, dude.
Agreed. Paragraphs are definitely needed.

To the OP: accept his money.
Walrus of Love
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Did you the post? It sounds really traumatic and all you can think about is paragraphing?!
CharlesBrown
Report 9 years ago
Money is everything my friend. Your father is right to do so.

Money = power.
Gimothy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
W
T
F
4G_dollars
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Paragraph it. Make it more easier to read.
Well yeh I will accept the money. But I can see where your comming, it is not tackling the issue, try and talk to him.
Spiffy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Troll
Andylol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Arghhh i cant read it... A wall of text -.-
S23a
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
keep anon please

i am so sick of my dad, i really am. he's not mentally stable, he will have a nervous breakdown if me and my sister rile up an argument. i came downstairs to tell my parents something about my ucas. i was complaining about the fact that i received four rejections for medicine and was just ranting on about how crap my life felt and my parents didn't say anything. i got so annoyed by their lack of response. my dad was watching a film, my mum was on the laptop. before going back upstairs i made a snide remark about how they're crap parents since they can't even console or talk to me about how i'm feeling. this got my dad extremely angry. he started chasing me upstairs and wanted to hit me for being undisciplined etc. he even threatened to kick me out because the only reason i came downstairs was to cause an arguement which was not true. i opened my door and he ripped off his shirt and starting grinding his teeth and screamed too. he then went to his room, took his briefcase which has like £30,000 in it. he then said he'd leave with his money and we'd never see him again. i eventually broke down in tears and started saying sorry. he wouldn't accept it. i cried and cried and eventually i flipped and threw his suitcase down the stairs and told him to rot in hell with his worthless money. i said that when he died, i'd make sure to stuff his coffin with money since he cares more about it than trying to resolve anything. he blames my mum for how my sister and i have turned out. when i went to hug him he thought i pushed him and his reaction was to throw a hanger at my crotch which ached for a while. i just gave up and went to bed and started sobbing. he proceeded to argue with my mum till 4am. i heard everything that was siad. he was very rude and disrespectful to her. this morning he came from town and gave me a shirt and tie and expects me to forget everything he did. is that supposed to be his sorry? oh and he ended up buying my mum a £25,000 mercedez benz. i am actually at a breaking point. i am 18, i am forced to have a gap year living with my crazy family and it's affecting my studying. i don't even know if i'll get the grades to reapply for medicine at this rate. i absolutely hate my life. getting into med school and uni was something i wanted so much because it was a way out of this home and a way for me to discover what i hope to achieve in life. i ask myself if i am really cut out to be a doctor with a family like mine. all the med applicants at my school have relatively normal, happy lives, working class etc whereas i look at myself and my family who are well off to some extent yet very unhappy and struggling to stay as one unit. i am so embarassed.
This assumption sir, is where you fail.
NoHands
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
30k in a briefcase??? Drugdealer much? You should tell him of a clever invention called the credit card...
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know the banking system is in the spotlight at teh moment but there's really no need for him to keep £30000 in a briefcase, whats gonna happen if it gets nicked?
Morzor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i opened my door and he ripped off his shirt and starting grinding his teeth and screamed too
WTF! ******* hulk much?

I understand where your coming from, its a "cheap" way out throwing money at everything. Unfortunately we do live in a society where money is percieved as power :\
farhaz_j
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:|
k823127
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Take it while you can. My Dad used to do this, until he became poor and now i haven't seen him for 2 years and haven't spoken to him for 6 months.
tomoli
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yer you sound like you have a really **** life in your clearly upper middle class family that have few issues now and then. If you want, I can ring up the British Embassy in Sudan and see if there is a starving child who wants to swap lives with you?
Rheadrox
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Your dad sounds like an idiot, you should just leave him to his own devices.
Not that I think you should leave people to their own devices if they're idiots.
But seriously, I just wouldn't bother with him.
LadyJaneGrey
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well...I feel for you, both med school-wise and dad-wise. Maybe go into clearing and see if you can get accepted into something other than medicine? You don't have to be a doctor to get out of your house you know.

About your dad: I think you have to get over the fact that your father doesn't really know how to handle having a family and can't interact emotionally with you. My dad is somewhat the same except he's more 'mentally stable' and doesn't really fly off the handle much. He just doesn't really know how to cope with emotions as a result of a ****** up childhood and therefore has removed emotion from everything, more or less.

Basically when I was younger I really really wanted a dad who wanted to spend time with me and would have the kind of relationship with me that my friends had with their dads. When I first figured out this just wasn't going to happen I was really quite hurt and thought my dad didn't love me at all. Since then I've realised that my dad does love us, just he's unable to show it in ways that most other dads do. My father is fairly rich (through his own hard work) and pretty much uses money as his way of expressing his love for me. He's said that he'll put me through however many degrees I want to do and will buy me a house and basically make sure I'm taken care of if I want it. A father who doesn't love his child doesn't do stuff like this.

It seems to me like your dad does love you and your family, just he can't show it in the normal ways a father does and instead uses money to show he loves you guys and to make up for his shortcomings. I think the best thing for you to do is to stop expecting a traditionally loving father and accept what you've got since it's all you'll ever get. Take his money, get to uni and start your life.
|>|Imagine|<|
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4c...ious_troll.jpg
Oladz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You've just about managed for 18 years, your on the home straight so to speak. Keep your head down, stay in your room as much as possible and avoid him. You'll be off to uni soon.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1377)
79.5%
Leave (355)
20.5%

Watched Threads