Medicine at Oxford Watch

hysterian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Here's the situation:
Our school has a system in which the students sit AS and A levels at the same time (last year of school). My friend wants to apply to Oxford for medicine. So,when he applies he wouldn't have his AS grades with him, but only A Level predicted grades. IS this going to impact his applications, considering medicine is especially competitive?
PS He doesn't want a gap year.
Svefngenglar
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I believe Oxford mainly use GCSEs (% A*s) to select for interview, but they may use AS grades after interview, I don't know. Safest thing to do would be to email the admissions office and get an answer from the source. Good luck for your friend.
hysterian
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Svefngenglar)
I believe Oxford mainly use GCSEs (% A*s) to select for interview, but they may use AS grades after interview, I don't know. Safest thing to do would be to email the admissions office and get an answer from the source. Good luck for your friend.
What's the email id? Sorry, can't find it on the website
Svefngenglar
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hysterian)
What's the email id? Sorry, can't find it on the website
[email protected]
jay8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oxford doesn't need AS grades. Lots of schools don't 'cash in' AS Levels anyway, so loads of students apply with just predicted A2 grades.
zeb191
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just e-mail them to make sure...better to be safe than sorry, eh?
martin101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yep, this is the reason they tend to use your GCSE grades. They dont disadvantage you by not having sat them yet - this isnt an uncommon thing to happen. I remember having a conversation with my tutor about this in the middle of one tutorial (we have a break in the middle for coffee and biscuits etc) and he said as much (hes the director of preclinical studies so Id imagine he knows what hes talking about).

That said if you have done AS they will take a look at that as obviously it is going to be relevant!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.

Watched Threads