Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Asos one shoulder strap mesh dress - £12.50

I really like it but I'm not sure it'll suit me. I'm a size 12 with average-to-large boobs (C/D), wide hips and chunky thighs. Will it just make me look preggers? I'll try and find a full body picture to put as my profile picture.

Oh, and if I DID get it, I have some shoes that are like these:

But they're not "embossed". Would they go? This is for an 18th party by the way, and probably for prom too (our prom is fairly casual, i.e. you don't need a full-length ballgown).

Or would something like this be better:

But in all silver?

I'm not exactly rolling in money so I'd prefer not to have to buy new shoes too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    Asos one shoulder strap mesh dress - £12.50

I really like it but I'm not sure it'll suit me. I'm a size 12 with average-to-large boobs (C/D), wide hips and chunky thighs. Will it just make me look preggers? I'll try and find a full body picture to put as my profile picture.
    I'm a size 8/10 wit C/D boobs too...I tend to avoid these kinds of dresses as I end up looking like I am sitting in a tent or I look preggers...!
    I would be careful!

ReputationRep:
    Well I have some dresses a bit like this, but they work with a belt nipping you in at the waist (which is very flattering on an hour-glassy figure)...would this dress work with a belt? Would it sit well above and below?

ReputationRep:
    I think it would suit you. But I don't think a belt will work with this dress as saoirse suggested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saoirse)
    Well I have some dresses a bit like this, but they work with a belt nipping you in at the waist (which is very flattering on an hour-glassy figure)...would this dress work with a belt? Would it sit well above and below?
    On the ASOS website there's a picture with a belt on it...Oh no wait, I just looked again, it's not a belt! What I thought was a buckle was actually one of the silver circles :P
    It seems like the actual empire line bit is lower down, like it doesn't go tight around your boobs then straight down...
    It's £3.95 for postage, it'd probably be about £2 to send it back if I didn't like it...so I'd lose £6 if it looked crap. That's not too much, but when the dress itself is only £12.50...

ReputationRep:
    I think the fact that the dress is significantly reduced in price probably implies that it's not made that well.
    In which case, I doubt that it will be that flattering especially not if you have big boobs because I think it will hang strangely.
    But if you really like it, you could always go into town and try something similar, see if that looks okay and then order the asos dress. I just think this particular style is more suited to really slim, no-boobs people, really as there's quite a lot of excess fabric.

ReputationRep:
    its quite pretty but i dont really like the cross shoulder strap. makes it look really ackward. i dont know whether it will suit your figure; as the model has quite small boobs. i think it would be better if it had proper straps.

ReputationRep:
    TBH I don't really like the dress or the shoes, however I do worry about your boobs in a dress like that. You won't be able to wear a good bra with only one strap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    TBH I don't really like the dress or the shoes, however I do worry about your boobs in a dress like that. You won't be able to wear a good bra with only one strap.
    Oooh that's a good point, I hadn't thought about the bra aspect...my last two prom dresses were boned so I didn't need one...hmm.

ReputationRep:
    I'd give it a NO.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I don't like the strap. If it didn't have that I think it would look ok.

ReputationRep:
    you are not a size 12!

ReputationRep:
    I am a size 10/12 with bigger boobs than that and I wore a similar dress on my eighteenth. I loved it. But I would suggest buying it in advance in case it doesn't fit or looks weird

ReputationRep:
    Totally tent/preggers style dress with your figure- boobs might make it come out a bit but as its a bit empire waist what you realy have to worry about is the free fall bit underneath and your hips. itll be pulled out width ways giving you a triangular look as no waist nipped in for hourglass shape which would have looked nice. And because of the pulling out width ways its likely to hang down from your boobs in a preggers way. The shoes- yours would go just as well as the other but dont buy this dress..

ReputationRep:
    The one-shoulder style is pretty big for this season. However, I think something more fitted would suit your figure a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinesquared.)
    you are not a size 12!
    Is that a compliment or an insult?

ReputationRep:
    It has to be a compliment because you look smaller than a size twelve- like 10 or even 8 but i guess subjective as in a photo you cant tell someones height.

ReputationRep:
    Im sure it wouldn't be really bad, but I definitely think it wouldn't be the best thing at all. Probably a bit tent-like with the layered skirt and the top probably would be a bit matronly.

If you are set on it though, I'm sure you are aware of what your figure is like better than me!

ReputationRep:
    No. I sound like I'm pretty much your build, and I have a v.similar one (also bought online, big mistake) which makes me look bulgy in all the wrong places, and I sort of wobble out of it at the top.

ReputationRep:
    It was a compliment!
    You look like a size 8-10.
    I feel big looking at your profile pic.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.