Turn on thread page Beta

My laptop is dying watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    And I am pretty annoyed. It IS ancient- 5 years old, was quite high-spec at the time at £1600- but I only use it for internet and word processing. It had a new hard drive in October- £150- but now its all funny again:mad: , the battery symbol just flashes red the whole time and shuts down immediately I unplug it from the mains. Plus for whatever reason it refuses to connect to the internet.

Should I take it somewhere and see if I can get it rejuvenated? Or should I accept its time for a new one?

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing some connection has gone or partially gone in the charger. Mine was similar, it would recognise it was plugged in, but wouldn't charge. Well only enough to keep it alive. We took the plug apart (the big which plugs into the laptop, not the wall) and soldered it all back together. Might be worth a try?

Edit: Yours doesn't actually seem broken, so maybe you shouldn't do that :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    obviously it's having trouble recharging.

maybe you just need a fresh, new battery?

was it charging when you installed the new HD?

ReputationRep:
    try backing up all of your data and re installing windows to sort out connectivity problems and issues with speed (i re install windows on my computers every 6 months or so to keep them fresh and fast) if you dont want to reinstall windows then just try reinstalling the drivers for the wifi card also using a program like ccleaner may help clean it up as well

as for the battery after 5 years it is more than likely that it is past its useful life and there's not too much you can do about it other than buy a new battery or laptop unfourtunatly

also dont take it to the place that charged you £150 for a new hard drive!!! you can get a 500GB one for £80 and installation is a 30 min thing at most

ReputationRep:
    I got a new batter for my old one which sorted it out.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean it doesn't power even with the mains pluged in? If you don't know how to take a laptop apart and don't know the insides, DO NOT do this yourself, but if you do know the basic stuff then it is firstly worth opening it up and seeing whether the female power port is loose, it happens a lot on old laptops because of constant plugging in and plugging out, the soldered connections slowly get displaced. If they are displaced then solder them.
    Or do you mean that the battery never gets charged although it works fine when it's plugged in? If so then maybe the battery has finally died and you need a new one, you could try buying a replacement.
    If a new battery fixes it, you should open the laptop up and remove all the dust from the heat sinks surrounding the processor, this causes overheating and a lot of trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm ok cool! I think I'll maybe try a new battery...I did actually open it up and have a poke around, was none the wiser...dunno if I've screwed it up even more but it seemed the exact same after I'd stuck it back together.

What sort of price is a dell battery, then?

ReputationRep:
    Depending on your model it's around £40-£90.

ReputationRep:
    Ebay's can be quite good for batteries , but you're best off sticking to dell brand ones and obviously make sure you get a new+sealed one.

ReputationRep:
    Double post, sorry -- delete please

ReputationRep:
    also when looking on ebay, you will find for example, 4000mAh and 4600mAh.
    the higher the better, as the battery will last longer

ReputationRep:
    Oh thank you for the advice!

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.