Turn on thread page Beta

University in UK or Japan?! My Dilemma! (advice needed!!) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am really desperately seeking your advice. I'll explain my situation to you now:

I became ill during a-levels and got CDDe and a 'c' in general studies A/S. I didn't tell anyone about what happened to me... so I just accepted these grades. I am a smart person, I got A's in the first year before I became ill

I went to university of Essex studying economics. I was LUCKY to get in here. I didn't meet their requirements, but I still got in...
    I stayed at Essex for 3 years but this was before I got my illness cleaned up. EACH YEAR I had to 'intermit' due to illness. They have a 3 strikes your out policy. And I had to leave after my 3rd repeat of 'first year economics'. I loved the university and had many friends though... I learnt a lot here about life etc... I became interested in Japan while at uni, and had many Japanese+international friends.

Well, now I'm 22 years old and I'm unsure what to do. I really want to go to Japan and study. This is where you guys come in!

I have a few options open to me.

1. Work for 1 year in UK to save money. Attend Japanese language school in japan for 2 years. They teach you university level japanese and prepare you to take japanese entrance exams. Pass the university entrance exam and attend Japanese university for 4 years (their standard degrees are 4 yers long). The bad: I will start at 25 and graduate at 29yrs old... (remember the japanese uni will not care about my alevels, because i'll be taking the entrance exam. that's all they care about)

OR-

2. Apply to university in UK (again >.>) The bad point of this is I will have to go to a sub-par uni. The good point is I'll be younger, since I could apply immediately (or whenever the applications start being accepted again) and it's only 3 years in total. I think I'm an intelligent person, so to be honest I don't really want to go to a 'not so good uni' - no offence to anyone....

Also, importantly, I want to work in Japan (business sector). So the UK university would ideally need to have an exchange student opportunity to Japan. The problem is, even if I do go to a university in UK, there's no guarantee that I could get a job in japan (since the uni probably wouldnt even be good cos of my alevel grades)

Well, those are the two main options that I'm thinking of taking. I REALLY want to leave UK, with illness and bad memories of this place, I would genuinely want to get out of here... if even for a while... My dream is to go to Japan and study... I just don't know what I should do. I'm worried about being too old. BTW, my illness has since been cured so there's no worries about that anymore. And it's not possible to go back to essex university, they wont allow me. Also, I'd really want to go to a UK university which has many international students (as essex did) if possible.

Do you think there is any point seeking to go to uni again in UK with CDDe Alevels? (I want to study Econ)

What do you guys think is the most sensible choice for me to take..?

Thank you very much for reading

ReputationRep:
    I think if you do chose to study in Japan, the process could turn out to be lengthier than you think. I suggest studying undergrad at a middle-ranking UK uni and then possibly going to Japan for Master's if you still want to.

ReputationRep:
    I would go for it, i wouldn't worry about age (i wont be finishing uni myself until im 29 too) the only thing is to make sure you understand what you're letting yourself in for.
    How much does uni in japan cost?
    will you be able to find part time work to cover the cost of study and living whilst in japan?
    What happens if you dont pass the entrance exam?

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll have to own up to the illness issue and plead your case with a middle ranking university. I think you should contact the universities you're interested in directly and explain the situation. Then, you could probably look at getting a masters degree in Japan if you're still interested.

ReputationRep:
    Why would it be lengtheir than I think?

I wouldn't be able to do Master's. I think it's too expensive.

Oh I also forgot to mention: My dad can pay for university in Japan.
    BUT he wouldn't pay for uni in UK (since i can get loans in UK). I already have 3 years of student debt (£25,000?). If I go to UK again I'll be around £50,000 in debt by graduation...

If I went to Japan I wouldn't have to pay for the uni. And there's no convincing my dad to pay for uni in UK...

Uni in Japan costs around £10,000 per year. So £40,000 for the degree. My dad said he would pay for that, so I'm not worried. Also, yes I would get a part-time job in japan, since I need to pay my own way for food and other things.

Which UK university would you recommend for me?

ReputationRep:
    I think you should go study in Japan! The country is amazing. Pursue your dreams, aim high, think positive, don't think twice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndkathleen)
    Why would it be lengtheir than I think?

I wouldn't be able to do Master's. I think it's too expensive.

Oh I also forgot to mention: My dad can pay for university in Japan.
    BUT he wouldn't pay for uni in UK (since i can get loans in UK). I already have 3 years of student debt (£25,000?). If I go to UK again I'll be around £50,000 in debt by graduation...

If I went to Japan I wouldn't have to pay for the uni. And there's no convincing my dad to pay for uni in UK...

Uni in Japan costs around £10,000 per year. So £40,000 for the degree. My dad said he would pay for that, so I'm not worried. Also, yes I would get a part-time job in japan, since I need to pay my own way for food and other things.

Which UK university would you recommend for me?
    Your situation is looking complex. You didn't tell one thing: are you still suffering from that illness or is it okay? Because if you are still ill, you'll have even greater trouble coping with uni studies in Japan, as you'll be studying in a foreign language plus the same course load. Think and decide carefully before taking any decisions.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the responses so far.

I am not suffering from any illnesses anymore

Yes, it will be hard, but I'm 100% dedicated (even more so now that I've overcome illness etc) to succeed. I just don't want to rush into anything...
    I'll have to work in UK for 1 year anyway, so I have some time to make a decision....

edit: I HIGHLY doubt essex will let me back. I spoke to them before I left and they said they've only let one person come back after the '3rd strike' - and that guy had both of his parents killed in an earthquake or something... not joking about this. So my reason is almost nothing compared to that guy. I think there's no point asking Essex, it'd just be embarrassing if anything. I spoke to the head of economics before i left. He felt strongly I couldn't come back if I wanted to.

Yes, UK will be easier. But in Japan I'll be highly motivated and... happy!
    The Japanese Language Prep Schools have a 95% success rate of the student getting into a Japanese university. I'd be confident that I'd get into one...

I can't use clearing this year because one of the requirements is 'you must have applied for university this year' and i didn't..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndkathleen)
    Hi everyone,

I am really desperately seeking your advice. I'll explain my situation to you now:

I became ill during a-levels and got CDDe and a 'c' in general studies A/S. I didn't tell anyone about what happened to me... so I just accepted these grades. I am a smart person, I got A's in the first year before I became ill
    Wha!

Wow, I currently hold an offer from Essex for Economics and Finance at Essex (L114 Financial Economics) and they have given me an offer for AB and 340 ucas points. Considering they generally want As and Bs and it is ranked within the top 15 in the UK for Economics, you were bloody lucky to get in to Essex for economics with CDDE.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to try and find out if you have the apptitude to learn Japanese to a sufficient level to understand university teaching. Japanese can be a difficult for westerners to learn because its very different from Latinate languages.

I also think you are underestimating the cost of doing a degree in Japan, don't forget to factor in the higher cost of living in Japan, accommodation is expensive and airfares if you intend to travel a lot. Also you can't be sure of getting a job in Japan, most student visas don't allow students to work officially but I don't know about the situation in Japan.

Its a brave move and I hope you get what you want.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're understimating how hard it will be to learn Japanese. You really need to find out if you're any good at it, before you dedicate the next however many years of your life to it. With languages, if you want to be at a good enough level to live and work there, sometimes simply having dedication or interest aren't enough. Take a beginner's course now and see if you enjoy it or do well.

ReputationRep:
    i think the studying in Japan idea is amazing ... as another person also planning on going to a Japanese language school i think its a good choice and with the programmes they have there and the lessons only being in japanese it will be entirely possible for you to do it in two years... however you need amazing dedication for it and i would recommend taking a course here during your year of working or self study .. because you need to place at least somewhere on their placement tests

ReputationRep:
    I find it surprising you've your heart set on working after your degree in japan since you've never lived there. another option is get your degree in the uk then go on the JET program to teach english for a year. A guy I know did this and is now fluent with the aim of working there after knowing what life is like there.

I think you should try and spend some time there before making decisions.

edit: I can see where you're coming from, I'd love to spend time in japan and have my heart set on a exchange going there in my art degree. good luck!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.