Turn on thread page Beta

Why is it that... watch

ReputationRep:
    ...all the people on the RAF DVD are wearing plain black suits?

Sorry if you think this is a ridiculous question, but i dont have a plain black suit and i was wondering if they ask you/you are meant to wear one for OASC/Filter??

ReputationRep:
    First impressions and all that jazz. Obviously wearing a nice suit will give a good impression, if you turn up in jeans and t-shirt you will just looks silly.

Doesn't have to be a plain black suit, i'm sure the majority of suits will be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Yer, I know you need to wear a suit, I was just getting worried that every single person I saw in the video was wearing a black suit, it looked very uniformed. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    If someone has had to buy a suit especially, as I suspect many do, and has bought a cheaper suit from somewhere like George at Asda (for obvious financial reasons, if you've just left school or university, as a lot of candidates have), then your choice is more likely to be plain black, because that's the most common colour for smarter cheap suits. Pinstripe, etc, tends to look very cheap unless you've spent a bit on it, whereas you can get away with a lot more in plain black.

I wore a plain blue slate coloured suit for my OASC, and Mr Theo1977 wore blue pinstripe. As long as you look smart, any respectable, formal colour would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    OK, thanks for the help! Just wanted to make sure!

ReputationRep:
    eyes on, remember about 2 or 3 guys wearing jeans and fred perry polos at our P2?? hahaha!

ReputationRep:
    Yer and the Flt Lt asking them what they were interested in, and them saying 'i dont really know...anything really' !!! !!! what a joke.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Wind your necks in.

A P2 presentation is an informal presentation on the RAF, and what it can potentially offer people. Many people who attend them do not have firm ideas on if they want to join or not, and will not have filled in any paperwork. Yes, you shouldn't go in dirty, ripped jeans or fashionable t-shirts, but smart jeans and polo shirts are staple wardrobe items. No doubt the staff hosting the presentation told them to come in what they felt comfortable in. When you start the application process, then of course you should dress in accordance with the serious nature of a job interview. Many people just simply don't know how to dress, or what to expect until they are told, or they start the process.

Judging candidates on their wardrobe choices when you yourselves haven't yet gone through the process isn't exactly showing very becoming qualities, now is it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Wind your necks in.

A P2 presentation is an informal presentation on the RAF, and what it can potentially offer people. Many people who attend them do not have firm ideas on if they want to join or not, and will not have filled in any paperwork. Yes, you shouldn't go in dirty, ripped jeans or fashionable t-shirts, but smart jeans and polo shirts are staple wardrobe items. No doubt the staff hosting the presentation told them to come in what they felt comfortable in. When you start the application process, then of course you should dress in accordance with the serious nature of a job interview. Many people just simply don't know how to dress, or what to expect until they are told, or they start the process.

Judging candidates on their wardrobe choices when you yourselves haven't yet gone through the process isn't exactly showing very becoming qualities, now is it?
    Owned :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    But when you're meeting a potential employer, who will likely be interviewing you in a couple of weeks time, it makes sense to dress smartly and make a good impression, right? There were some right scruffy *******s at mine and there are no excuses for it if you ask me.

I was thinking grey, or maybe brown for OASC by the way. I don't like black.

ReputationRep:
    Fraid my 'suit' is black. Not so much a suit as a pair of black trousers (my current work place insists on only black trousers,) and a black jacket I borrowed from my mum about 4 years ago..... top wise I just put on something simple, pretty and doesn't show that much cleavage. I'm hoping to get a properly tailored outfit, but that my have to wait until I have the money to spare for it.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't show much cleavage? Maybe you should wear a different top and possibly increase your chances

ReputationRep:
    Jaidus - make sure you wear a shirt!

Dorothy Perkins has been known to do some good suits very cheaply.

I agree with Fields - I really dislike black as well.

ReputationRep:
    I will be the man in black :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Black isn't my colour. It's too harsh for my colouring. I got a couple of nice suits in Sainsburys that were reasonable. If you have a next outlet somewhere near you it's worth going for a look. I'd try holding off till a few weeks before OASC before buying an expensive suite. My body changed so much running up to OASC with the fitness I was doing.

ReputationRep:
    To clear it up, Blackhawk, it really didnt look like two of the guys really had a clue what they were doing there! Yes i agree it is informal, and many people do want to know more. But the impression they gave, and the way they talked to the Flt Lt as if they didnt really care is what got me.

ReputationRep:
    And i wouldnt have even condidered the dress to be smart/casual. I wasnt told what to wear to the P2, but i went and found out.

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify.

It may come as no surprise to learn that the syndicate that you see going through the OASC process in the film are not actual candidates. They were/are all serving officers who happened to be available to participate in the filming. At the time they had all relatively recently passed the OASC boarding process. Their brief would have been to dress appropriately for an OASC boarding. There is no ‘black suit rule’. They just thought it was appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, that means I can finally stop feeling sorry for the poor chap who was medically unfit for pilot!

ReputationRep:
    And what does medically unfit got to do with black suit? :eek:

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.