English Universities in France? Watch

blu-neve
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'd love to go to university in France 2010 but as I've just started learning French this year, I think it might be too bad to study at a French University and anyway, I'd like to gain a more "international" (=English) certificate... I wonder whether there are any universities in France where courses (no specific ones) are taught in English!? (except for the American University of Paris; should be a quite accredited university :P )

Thanks for your help
museobsessed
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
why don't you go to an english university but do erasmus in the third year? That way you get an english education but get an acedemic year in France and enough time to learn french in the two years before you go
blu-neve
Rep:
?
(Original post by museobsessed)
why don't you go to an english university but do erasmus in the third year? That way you get an english education but get an acedemic year in France and enough time to learn french in the two years before you go
Well, I would like to live in Frane and besides, universities in th UK are extremely expensive :/
harri25
Report 9 years ago
there's only one english university in france which is ULIP - University of London Institute in Paris - but you can only do french there. But I think its mainly taught in French...and it costs exactly the same as english unis in terms of tuition - and a bit more for accommodation and stuff being paris..but its still my first choice
harri25
Report 9 years ago
btw you get a degree from the university of london
KLL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
a lot of very well respected business schools teach in english and target international students
wes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by KLL)
a lot of very well respected business schools teach in english and target international students
Most are postgrad, no ?
KLL
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by wes)
Most are postgrad, no ?
some offer undergrad. ESC Rennes (also from 2nd year on only, unless that changed) and in grenoble you can do your entire undergrad. IFI at the ESC Rouen does too afaik, there is the EBS Paris, escem might too
Mcferlon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
completing an undergraduate curricula taught in English in France is not a viable option if you ask me, although you have loads of choices for postgraduate studies.
blu-neve
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mcferlon)
completing an undergraduate curricula taught in English in France is not a viable option if you ask me, although you have loads of choices for postgraduate studies.
Why? (is it not a viable option) Do you mean the teaching standard or so is bad?
Mcferlon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No no, but there's litterally no choice!
According to KLL, there are a few bachelor's degree taught in English, but I've never heard of any undergraduate programme fully taught in english in France! (apart from the AUP)

But then again KLL may be right!
KLL
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mcferlon)
No no, but there's litterally no choice!
According to KLL, there are a few bachelor's degree taught in English, but I've never heard of any undergraduate programme fully taught in english in France! (apart from the AUP)

But then again KLL may be right!
i am 100% positive that the grenoble programe is 100% english for the entire undergraduate phase. and they are one of europes leading schools...
and the ESC Rennes one is entirely english after year 1. they don't offer 1st year afaik, but it's an easy transfer.
dismal_laundry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by blu-neve)
Well, I would like to live in Frane and besides, universities in th UK are extremely expensive :/
AUP is hideously expensive...
KLL
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
but like eith any american uni theres also a wide range of scholarships, financial aid programmes and bursaries etc
blu-neve
Rep:
?
general question; why are unis so expensive in the UK and so much "cheaper" in countries like France, Germany, Austria...? What's the highest amount of money you could be financially supported with in the UK?
KLL
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
english unis have smaller classes and less students.
you get value for your money in the UK. sometimes anyway
wes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by KLL)
english unis have smaller classes and less students.
you get value for your money in the UK. sometimes anyway
The impression I get is that we get smaller classes but near-negligeable contact time.

Why the pricing varies so much would probably be based on political tendencies in the different countries over the last 200 years...I don't think I could explain it so well :p: But attitudes to education vary a lot, which probably makes a difference.
KLL
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by wes)
The impression I get is that we get smaller classes but near-negligeable contact time.

Why the pricing varies so much would probably be based on political tendencies in the different countries over the last 200 years...I don't think I could explain it so well :p: But attitudes to education vary a lot, which probably makes a difference.
university in the UK wa much cheaper not that long ago...
and in germany, for subjects like economics etc, contact time is near neglible aswell... in my last year at uni in germany i spend on average 1 or 2 hours a week in calsses or lectures.

for engineering and proper scinces this is different tho..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (54)
28.88%
No - I got the required grades (110)
58.82%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise