The Student Room Group

Bradford or Glamorgan, best for Medicine?

Hi, I need some advice as to which uni I make my first choice. I really want to study medicine, but have messed up my chances of direct entry. I am predicted 3Bs at A-Level and have interviewed successfully at both Unis. However, I do not know which to choose as both seem to offer good prospects, as far as Medicine access is concerned.
Glamorgan is a far quieter University, both in student population and location (few pubs, no real student scene). Whereas Bradford is a cosmopolitan city, with lots to do (however I have some reservations about my ability to fit in with the student demographic). Glamorgan's course (Medical Science) is a 3 year course in which Medical candidates are identified in the second year and these selected candidates have a good chance of scoring a place to study medicine in the second year at Cardiff if a 2.1 is achieved.
Bradford however, has strong links with Leeds uni, and 20 candidates, after one year (provided they score 60% throughout the year) have the chance to transfer to second year medicine at Leeds.
So, really my problem is, do I choose comfort and a 3 year course which may lead to Graduate entry or do I move out of my comfort zone and go to Bradford with the hope of transfer to Leeds after one year. The gamble would be not successfully transferring and having to spend another 2 years in Bradford, although of course I may learn to love it. Any advice gratefully received.
Reply 1
Personally I would say take a year to resit your A levels, or try and get on an access course.

If you do graduate entry you won't get a student loan to cover tuition, and will quite possibly be paying 9k a year. You also probably won't get a place on a four year course and will end up having to do five or possibly six years at that rate (plus of course accomodation etc)

I really wouldn't in the current climate go for a first degree other than medicine if medicine is what you really want to do.
Reply 2
tom22
Glamorgan's course (Medical Science) is a 3 year course in which Medical candidates are identified in the second year and these selected candidates have a good chance of scoring a place to study medicine in the second year at Cardiff if a 2.1 is achieved.

Really?! Since when?! where have you got this info from?
Reply 3
I take it back, http://www.glam.ac.uk/coursedetails/685/625

"Up to ten Medical Sciences students (EU Nationals only) will be identified in their second year, and if they achieve an upper second class honours degree or above, they will be eligible to apply to enter Year Two of medicine at Cardiff University."

How many people do the course do you know?

And a bit of a long route- 7 years....
Reply 4
I'd say avoid Bradford at all costs, regardless of the course. :p:
Reply 5
What course at Bradford?
Reply 6
i live really really close to glamorgan uni it it is absolutle crap, most of the people who go there do so with CCD or, well, tbh even lower. The area around is quiet and small and filled wth ignorance it's the worst place in the world and if you choose to study ther then i pray for you. trust meit's that bad
Reply 7
Its not THAT bad!! and I know quite a few who live in Cardiff then commute up to Treforest
MrCharmed
i live really really close to glamorgan uni it it is absolutle crap, most of the people who go there do so with CCD or, well, tbh even lower. The area around is quiet and small and filled wth ignorance it's the worst place in the world and if you choose to study ther then i pray for you. trust meit's that bad

The grade profile of applicants might work in OP's favour if he's seeking a transfer to Cardiff ;-)

Personally I would go for resits than go to either Glamorgan or Bradford.
Reply 9
IndiePixie
The grade profile of applicants might work in OP's favour if he's seeking a transfer to Cardiff ;-)

Personally I would go for resits than go to either Glamorgan or Bradford.

I don't know much about bradford and all i could find out would be based on figures and websites and stuff. Howeveri have personal exprience with glamorgan and it is chav haven.
I thought most uni's are against resits unless you have extenuating circumstances? I can't think of any that allow standard resits from bad grades.
Reply 11
Without extenuating circumstances your limited to applying to: Peninsula, Keele, UEA, and Southampton (if its only 1 grade), so personally i wouldn't resit A levels after year 13!
Reply 12
shaz111
Without extenuating circumstances your limited to applying to: Peninsula, Keele, UEA, and Southampton (if its only 1 grade), so personally i wouldn't resit A levels after year 13!

Not true. UEA and Soton are both ext. circ. only

Resit policies
Reply 13
Bradford, you say?
Tbh, it's not as terrible as everyone makes out. Yeah, if you live there, you're liable to whinge about it but Leeds is such a nice city and it's only 15 minutes by train. I understand what you mean by student demographic but i don't think it's 100% asian, haha!
Reply 14
Resits not an option for me. After one year at Bradford 20 can transfer to yr 2 of Leeds Med School subject to min average of 60% and interview. So that is about 40% of cohort. However if you don't transfer you stay on in Bradford and complete the Clinical Science degree and then join the competition for graduate entry. The same percentage have the opportunity to apply to Cardiff but only after completing 3 years at Glamorgan and getting a minimum 2.1; it is not a direct transfer like Bradford to Leeds

Latest

Trending

Trending