Turn on thread page Beta

Age gaps in university watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I did look around this forum for related topics.

But at university, how much do age gaps affect you when determining if it's relationship-worthy?

For example, knowing you're in your final year and there's a girl in first year, but you're only 3 years older than her... would you bother with getting to know this girl whom you see like 1-2 a week, or treat her like a little sister?

Vice versa, etc... for girls and guys.

I predict that many would say that Age shouldn't matter, but put it into practice... how often does it occur - A final year and a first year? Especially if you're graduating in 4 months?

Like how many guys do you know who would pursue a girl who's 3-4 years younger than them? Or who are 2-3 academic years younger than them?

[Vice versa...but I guess with women, going for younger girls isn't as common]

Just curious.
    I would be grateful for any feedback, thanks :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Err who cares.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it. Age ain't nothing but a number (after you hit 16 that is).

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak from experience because I'm not yet at university but my two older siblings have been in relationships with people of mostly all ages. My brother is in a relationship with someone who is in their first year (they're retaking though) and he is in his fourth year and my sisters boyfriend is 13(!) years older than her, he's obviously not still at university. She's in her second year.

I don't see why it would be a problem...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My boyfriend is 8 years older than me. Doesn't bother me, and my age certainly hasn't put him off! Age seems to be a bigger problem when you're in highschool... but once you're at Uni or out of school - it is literally just a number.

As long as everyone's legal -where's the problem?!

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is 5 years older than me. It's never been a problem.

ReputationRep:
    You'll find that when you go to University age becomes pretty irrelevant. People can look about 25 but be 18 and the other way around.

Not to mention that not all first year students are 18/19 either.
    It's not something you should really worry/think about right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaramelRose)
    My boyfriend is 8 years older than me. Doesn't bother me, and my age certainly hasn't put him off! Age seems to be a bigger problem when you're in highschool... but once you're at Uni or out of school - it is literally just a number.

As long as everyone's legal -where's the problem?!
    Snap :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [A])
    I did look around this forum for related topics.

But at university, how much do age gaps affect you when determining if it's relationship-worthy?

For example, knowing you're in your final year and there's a girl in first year, but you're only 3 years older than her... would you bother with getting to know this girl whom you see like 1-2 a week, or treat her like a little sister?

Vice versa, etc... for girls and guys.

I predict that many would say that Age shouldn't matter, but put it into practice... how often does it occur - A final year and a first year? Especially if you're graduating in 4 months?

Like how many guys do you know who would pursue a girl who's 3-4 years younger than them? Or who are 2-3 academic years younger than them?

[Vice versa...but I guess with women, going for younger girls isn't as common]

Just curious.
    I would be grateful for any feedback, thanks :yep:
    im assuming your still in high school as once at uni this would seem a pointless question.

once at uni your an adult, as is everyone else, if 2 people like each other its that simple. as there are many 1st years who are older than many 3rd years age has nothing to do with anything.

the year thing may make a difference if it means that the 3rd year is leaving very soon so there would not be an opportunity for a relationship but this is not affected by age...or am i not understanding your question?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.