Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it legal to sell cakes and tea/coffee etc on your front lawn? Or do you have to do anything to be allowed to? Health and safety etc....

ReputationRep:
    I believe you have to have a license which essentially says that the preparation/storage area etc. comes to a certain hygeine standard.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how often you're going to be doing it. I *think* that if it's a one off then you don't need any license and you don't need to have a food hygiene qualification, but it's probably best to get in touch with your local EHO who will give you a definitive answer for your situation. If however you're planning to do this regularly then you'd need to get in touch with your local council, who would arrange for your kitchen to be inspected to ensure that you're operating safely (ie no pets or smoking in the kitchen etc). You'd also be expected to gain a basic food hygiene qualification at the very least. Also, if this is a regular thing, then it'd be sensible to look into some form of public liability insurance and if the food is being sold as part of a business, then you'd probably have to adhere to the food labelling regulations too.

ReputationRep:
    i sell people stuff from my garden (just weed in general) - im a garden gnome so im excepted from human laws :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm I would have thought it would be perfectly legal, since people have car boot sales on their lawns and bake sales and stuff.... but I don't actually know.

ReputationRep:
    You dont need a licence - but i suggest you think up some disclaimers, because remember if you sell anything you'll be held as a seller under UK law, and can be sued if someone gets food poisoning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happy1)
    You dont need a licence
    Wrong.

Under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 you need a Licence as a Street Trader

You need an application form from your local council. The form will ask for your name, address, date of birth, street in which you wish to trade (a plan must be attached), days and times you will be trading, description of goods you will be trading, description of stall or any other object used in connection with trading, details of any previous convictions and they will more than likely want to know if you have been refused a street trader licence before. If you are selling food you need to inform the Council Food Safety Officer. Informing them tells the Food Safety Officer that the business exists and gives the opportunity for the officer and business proprietor to meet and check conditions and discuss the hygiene and safety legal standards that apply.

ReputationRep:
    so how do charity cake sales work then? I sincerely doubt they inform the council every time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happy1)
    so how do charity cake sales work then? I sincerely doubt they inform the council every time.
    Charity food sales are still classed as businesses but are Licensed differently. They still however have to comply withFood Safety Act 1990 and the Food Safety (General Food Hygiene) Regulations 1995.

Here are some instances of what can happen when it's not done correctly...

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...s-for-charity-

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/...s/article.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2308573.ece

The OP though made no mention of Charity, just selling things as a normal business would.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.