elder scrolls: oblivion goty edition Watch

H.JJJ
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Borrowed this game from a friend, used the cd and everything, but now he wants it back. Im going to buy this game on monday, but the thing is, sometimes the game crashed (I had it on max res, everything on highest except shadows and AA). System requirements lab said my laptop passes the reccomended requirements. But regardless of that, it still crashes or lags on certain areas of the game. If anyone is familar with this game, was it just problems with the original un-patched version that was fixed? Since im getting the goty edition (with 2 expansions included) is it all laggyness fixed with the patches?

heres my specs:

vista with core2 duo t5750 2ghz
2gb ram
256mb nvidia 8400 GS
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Firstly, vista is slow, secondly did you close all other applications before playing the game?
H.JJJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by DayneD89)
Firstly, vista is slow, secondly did you close all other applications before playing the game?

yep all useless programs have been closed down. Im guessing the main problem is with my ram. See, my graphics cards shares memory with the ram, even though its 256mb dedicated. Ive always wanted to turn this off, but never figured out how. Im going to try and google it now because even when my laptop has nothing running, on the desktop with minimum amount of icons and only essential processes its still at 40% (wtf). Thats a lot considering its doing nothing and is virus, ad/spyware free
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by H.JJJ)
yep all useless programs have been closed down. Im guessing the main problem is with my ram. See, my graphics cards shares memory with the ram, even though its 256mb dedicated. Ive always wanted to turn this off, but never figured out how. Im going to try and google it now because even when my laptop has nothing running, on the desktop with minimum amount of icons and only essential processes its still at 40% (wtf). Thats a lot considering its doing nothing and is virus, ad/spyware free
To be fair it was never designed to run on vista, and vista is a memory and general P.C. resources hog.
Dalimyr
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ignore Dayne. The game runs perfectly ****ing fine on Vista. Hell, I've had it running at max detail in tandem with Football Manager 2009 and while it was a bit jerky, it was still perfectly playable (and I probably could have lost the jerkiness by toning down the graphics settings). I've got it running now, in fact, and am just about to go back to playing it.

However, with knowledge of what the game runs like on two (vastly different) computers, I think I can spot the problem.
(I had it on max res, everything on highest except shadows and AA)
256mb nvidia 8400 GS
Those two are not best buddies. Your graphics card just isn't powerful enough to be running the game particularly well at max detail and resolution, and that would account for the lag and poor stability. I can get away with it (and multitasking) because I've got a 9800GT, but the 8400GS would probably be more comparable to the 7600GS I had in my old P4 3.0GHz computer, and on that computer I had to stick to 800x600 or 1024x768, and no higher than medium detail or I'd get the same issues you're having. The game will run OK on your system, but cut down drastically on your graphics settings or you simply won't be doing yourself any favours.
H.JJJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dalimyr)
Ignore Dayne. The game runs perfectly ****ing fine on Vista. Hell, I've had it running at max detail in tandem with Football Manager 2009 and while it was a bit jerky, it was still perfectly playable (and I probably could have lost the jerkiness by toning down the graphics settings). I've got it running now, in fact, and am just about to go back to playing it.

However, with knowledge of what the game runs like on two (vastly different) computers, I think I can spot the problem.
Those two are not best buddies. Your graphics card just isn't powerful enough to be running the game particularly well at max detail and resolution, and that would account for the lag and poor stability. I can get away with it (and multitasking) because I've got a 9800GT, but the 8400GS would probably be more comparable to the 7600GS I had in my old P4 3.0GHz computer, and on that computer I had to stick to 800x600 or 1024x768, and no higher than medium detail or I'd get the same issues you're having. The game will run OK on your system, but cut down drastically on your graphics settings or you simply won't be doing yourself any favours.

aye I guess I could turn down the texture size on the game to medium, had it on highest right now. As for the res, even though my laptop is a widescreen and 1024x768 looks a bit odd, I'll give it a go now and see what happens. This game must look nice on max detail. Shame I won't ever see it on this laptop.

Such an awesome game in terms of passing the hours! Can't wait to see waht shivering isles and knights of nine is like
H.JJJ
Rep:
?
well, i followed your advice and framerate has gone a hell of a lot higher. Thanks for the tips

now to kill off 3 or so hours
Hylean
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Should've bought the console version.
QuantumTheory
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That game is awesome with a capital :awesome:
It'll wreck your life though, for a good few months
H.JJJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hylean)
ah but then I would have had to buy the console. Besides RPGs are designed for the best gaming platform known, the PC. :yep:
H.JJJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by QuantumTheory)
That game is awesome with a capital :awesome:
It'll wreck your life though, for a good few months

Lol i know, I'm getting that feeling right now. Thank god uni exams a few months away
Zayne
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can I just compliment you on your excellent taste in games? :five: (if not platforms :tongue:)
H.JJJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zayne)
Can I just compliment you on your excellent taste in games? :five: (if not platforms :tongue:)
You can, and you just did :p:

I've always thought that morrowind was better, in terms of layout and display (that was until i got the BTMod and map mod that, quite frankly, should have been the version the desginers used.) But yeah, morrowind.. just felt a little (only JUST a little) better then oblivion
Lindath
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
TES4 for the win.
I even managed it to work on linux. That wasn't easy.

Khajit <3
Nords <3
H.JJJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lindath)
TES4 for the win.
I even managed it to work on linux. That wasn't easy.

Khajit <3
Nords <3
Orcs + moonshadow, with master blade skill and umbra.

hmm yes
Hylean
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by H.JJJ)
ah but then I would have had to buy the console. Besides RPGs are designed for the best gaming platform known, the PC. :yep:
Depends, really. Having played Fable on both platforms, I prefer the console version.

The same stands for any Final Fantasy I've played on both platforms. PCs have a lot going for them, don't get me wrong, but they are more prone to issues such as lag, in my experience, and there is always the peril of hardware issues.

In the end, though, for me, it comes down to the controller and I have always found console controllers far easier to use and a lot more intuitive. Just my opinion really.

Hmmm, I haven't played Oblivion in a while now. Slowly conquering the Fighters' Guild, which is a joke, considering my character's class. I have to sneak around everyone and kill them when they're not looking. The joys of Light Armour and wanting to be an Assassin style character, heh.
Dalimyr
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by H.JJJ)
aye I guess I could turn down the texture size on the game to medium, had it on highest right now. As for the res, even though my laptop is a widescreen and 1024x768 looks a bit odd, I'll give it a go now and see what happens. This game must look nice on max detail. Shame I won't ever see it on this laptop.

Such an awesome game in terms of passing the hours! Can't wait to see waht shivering isles and knights of nine is like
Shivering Isles is good for a laugh - all the residents of the isles are (understandably) a wee bit mad and they come out with the most random discussion at times...oh, and make sure to pop into the New Sheoth Graveyard from time to time if you end up doing stuff in the Isles that involves killing named NPCs; new graves appear in there, and activating each gravestone will list an epitaph that relates to the NPC's character or how they died. There are eight gravestones at the start, of which two epitaphs are: "Helene the Deaf. She never heard it coming." and "Here lies Blaise Sette. Faster than the wind, dumber than a stump."

If you ever need any help with the game, just post here, or check out UESP. You'll find me there as well as here. I've got Oblivion and all official plugins, and am just about to go through the KotN questline at the minute. I know my stuff about the game

The Unofficial Oblivion Patch mod is more than enough to justify playing on PC, as it fixes all sorts of bugs that crop up in the game which Bethesda never fixed, from tiny little spelling mistakes to quest-ruining bugs (just off the top of my head, complete the KotN questline before doing The Ultimate Heist (the final Thieves Guild quest), for example, and you won't be able to complete the quest because a bug from KotN's final quest (stuck animation or something on the player character) results in the player never being able to sit down, a simple task that is required for a certain part of The Ultimate Heist. On PS3 you're ****ed; it's impossible to complete the quest. On 360 you can apparently get around it by uninstalling the KotN plugin, though you obviously lose all of your KotN items and stuff in the process. On PC, we get a patch that fixes the bug so we don't have to faff around :p:)
Phalanx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you wanted a vastly mediocre experience, sure, it's a great idea.

Has the OP tried patching the game?
H.JJJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Phalanx)
If you wanted a vastly mediocre experience, sure, it's a great idea.

Has the OP tried patching the game?
didn't see the need if im getting all the expansions. I can handle the lag until i get my own copy. In fact im off to buy it right now £17.99 is defo worth it for 3 games
:yep:
AsystoleUK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Stop it. Stopppp itttt, you're making me want this game.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (84)
26.09%
No (238)
73.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed