Advent netbook, nearly bought one just now Watch

saoirse
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Then chickened out as I realized it doesnt have word and with no cd drive I am hazy as to how you download it? Same for my virgin wireless broadband, how do I install this on a netbook, when I put it on my old laptop it was an installation cd...

Are Advent netbooks any good?? This was £230/ Euro 245 for one that had a windows operating system and a webcam built in...

Should I buy it? As I am sure is evident, I know sweet fa about computers:eek3:
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by saoirse)
Then chickened out as I realized it doesnt have word and with no cd drive I am hazy as to how you download it? Same for my virgin wireless broadband, how do I install this on a netbook, when I put it on my old laptop it was an installation cd...

Are Advent netbooks any good?? This was £230/ Euro 245 for one that had a windows operating system and a webcam built in...

Should I buy it? As I am sure is evident, I know sweet fa about computers:eek3:
Can't comment on the netbook itself, but it's pretty easy to install office etc. on a netbook. For your wireless network software (which if you connect through a wireless router, you won't need, by the way) all you do is copy the files off the CD onto a memory stick. You can then just plug in and run the files as normal.

For office, you could try copying all the files onto a memory stick and then running the setup program from there (though that's not guaranteed to work), or you can use software like MagicISO (or a free equivalent that I'm sure someone can recommend) to convert CD's into .iso disk images. Whack the images onto a memory stick again and then mount them as a virtual drive using software like Daemon Tools, which you can download for free. You then just install the files as you would do with a CD drive. When it asks you to put disk 2 in, you just unmount disk 1 and mount disk 2 in Daemon Tools, and click next.

Simple

Or if you think that's too much of a faff, buy a USB CDROM drive.
redhanded
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
The advent one isn't very good.
You'd do better to go for the new MSI Wind (U120) when that is released (soon) - bigger memory, and wireless capability, at around the same price point. Battery life might suffer though.

It should be noted that I'm using a Samsung NC10, which I class as better than the new Wind only by battery life and stylishness (and keyboard, but that's more personal) - but it's around £300 now.
Hylean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm currently using the Advent one and it's okay. The keyboard is tiny and that can be damned annoying sometimes, but it's not big problem. If you're going to do anything but browse the net and work, I'd go for a different laptop as the screen is so small it's going to get cluttered quickly and make viewing things/playing games rather annoying.
BillV3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was under the impression that the Advent Netbook was just a rebranded Wind U100.
Lukely
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well technically that's kind of all it is... a re-branded, lower spec MSI Wind.

I'm VERY sceptical about the use of Netbooks. I think that to be honest, I'd rather have one if they had Vista and had a CD drive in them already. That'd be the thing that sold it to me.

As they have neither, in the meantime I think I'll stick to a laptop.

There is nothing to say, however, that you couldn't easily upgrade a netbook with 1GB RAM and a decent sized hard drive to Vista Basic though.

USB CD drives are the way forward. It's all a bit like the Macbook Air really - small, lightweight and compact but really needs all those extras to make it worthwhile (CD drive being the key thing) and to be honest it's a LOT of money for the size of it when you consider how much functionality you're missing by not having an internal CD drive.

The only other alternative is "the next best thing" - Open source software such as OpenOffice 3, (if you're into webdesign) Nvu, sound recording Audacity, movie making - well Windows MovieMaker and then if you're into graphics stuff use The GIMP.

The Linux system on some Netbooks is rather bad if you ask me.

Keypads are often too small.

THIS... is where the 12" Dell Inspiron Mini9 comes into it! Get one of those. And a USB CD drive.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
For office, you could try copying all the files onto a memory stick and then running the setup program from there (though that's not guaranteed to work),
I guarantee that'll work. :yep:

Do this all the time at work - saves mucking around with discs. We just have copies of the discs files on our file server should we have to reinstall Office on any PC. This works for Office XP, 2003 and 2007.

(Original post by Lukely)
Well technically that's kind of all it is... a re-branded, lower spec MSI Wind.

I'm VERY sceptical about the use of Netbooks. I think that to be honest, I'd rather have one if they had Vista and had a CD drive in them already. That'd be the thing that sold it to me.
I'm waiting for Win7 before I even consider one. Since I use it already on my desktop, I can't even consider Vista now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (866)
80.11%
Leave (215)
19.89%

Watched Threads