Buying a calculator for as/a level Watch

0zero0
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ok guys i need help buying a scientific calculator for as/a level maths and physics. Iwant something good but not too expensive..anything around 15ish would do ..

any suggestions??:eek3:
rupertj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Doesn't a regular Casio with the blue button cost £8?
Tintin and the Picaros
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
never heard of a scintific calculator, come to mention it i have heard of a scientific calculator, but you don't want one of those.
0zero0
Rep:
?
(Original post by rupertj)
Doesn't a regular Casio with the blue button cost £8?
they cost about 3.99 ..but i want something better than a normal casio
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
A graphical calculator will save your butt if you take it to A2 (or beyond) and forget how to draw a certain graph during the exam. Certainly get a scientific calculator, though; the functions you'll definitely need are:
\newline \displaystyle

\sin x,\ \cos x,\ \tan x,\newline

\sin^{-1} x,\ \cos^{-1} x,\ \tan^{-1} x,\ \newline

e^x,\ \ln x,\ \log x,\ \newline

x^2,\ x^y,\ \newline

\sqrt{x},\ \sqrt[y]{x}
Bonz0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
for £15 this should do http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...-22091017.html i use this and am doing further maths, its does everthing u need except draw graphs http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...-22546326.html from personal experinece id say a calculator that can draw graphs will be useful for further maths but is ceratinly not neccessary, especially not for ordinary a level maths, and they are much more expensive (atleast £40) the need of which i dont think justifies the price.
Crabman
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you cant use graphical calculators and you cant use calculators with external power sources!
jayshah31
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
£10 from Ryman (integration and differentiation is invaluable):
0zero0
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bonz0)
for £15 this should do http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...-22091017.html i use this and am doing further maths, its does everthing u need except draw graphs http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...-22546326.html from personal experinece id say a calculator that can draw graphs will be useful for further maths but is ceratinly not neccessary, especially not for ordinary a level maths, and they are much more expensive (atleast £40) the need of which i dont think justifies the price.

http://www.sharp-world.com/products/...506/index.html

IS THIS ANY GOOD?
Bonz0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
that should be fine for a level. r u doing further maths?
RamocitoMorales
Badges: 21
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tintin and the Picaros)
never heard of a scintific calculator, come to mention it i have heard of a scientific calculator, but you don't want one of those.
Perhaps you could post a more constructive reply?
0zero0
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bonz0)
that should be fine for a level. r u doing further maths?
im not..just normal maths and physics, so which ones better the sharp oneor the casio you are using?
Lilian-x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...lay+Calculator

Pretty much everyone at my college uses this one.
Bonz0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ive never used the sharp so cant comment on that, id highly recommend the casio though.
0zero0
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bonz0)
ive never used the sharp so cant comment on that, id highly recommend the casio though.
does it look likethey have the same functions? or is it just me who thinks the sharp one has got more functions ? btw the sharp one cost 17.77
foundintransmission
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jayshah31)
£10 from Ryman (integration and differentiation is invaluable):
Get this one, it's what I use and is very good, yet not too expensive, I think my Maths teacher uses this one too :p:
MarkoVan
Report 9 years ago
Get a Casio fx - 991 ES, its the same as the one shown above but got a solar display which everybody knows is vital for as/a level maths :yep: take my word 4 it lolz
chernij
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have a SHARP calculator. It's an EL-9200. Really is brilliant. Thankfully, it doesn't do algebraic differentiation/integration, so it's fine for AS and A2 Maths subjects, and come to think of it, anything else.

^^
That's the calculator.
It's also good because it can do numerate integration, which is a bonus for C2 for checking answers. And EdExcel allow it for C2, C3 and C4
azhao
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you're doing statistics in Maths then a graphical is well worth the investment. something like this will allow you to be able to do all distributions and things without the need for tables.
Cynical Optimist
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why not get a simply one, and learn to actually do the maths?
I would recommend getting one that does surds for you - that would have helped me for my A level... Mind you, most of them do now I think...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (56)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (117)
40.34%
Nope, not that interesting (117)
40.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise