Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 wanting to study French and Italian at uni.
    I want to move to France straight after uni so then i started thinking why not just go to uni in France!?
    I know nothing about it however so need some help and advice!
    Are there any websites or sources of knowlege for internationals students studying at France unis?

How long is a typical French degree and could I get in with A-Levels?

Obviously if i go to uni in France i won't need to do French as I'd be in France, I'd just study Italian.

I'm obviously aware the degree is taught in French and I intend to practice as much as possible the summer before uni and see how it goes or take a year off and get my French fluent.

I know i could just study here and go to France after but I am not one for doing things the normal way!

Advice please!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't quote me on this as I'm no expert.

From what little I know, universities in france are underfunded, the classes are huge, protests are rife and a lot of other 'red-tape' issues afflict government unis which is what mostly exist there.

Also your knowledge of French language need to be extremely high, you need to be fluent in it.

I don't think there are exact correspondences with Anglo Saxon systems when it comes to degrees. There is no exact equivalent of the Bachelor's degree (B.Sc/B.A. etc) in France although Licentiat (sp?) probably comes close. Maitrise is probably the same as Master's degrees like M.Sc/M.A. etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah a Licence is the equivalence of a bachelor's degree.

Check out the thread called "English universities in France?", lots of informations that might interest you.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes i just did that was useful thanks!

Any French students or poeple who studied in France who can give me more info?

thanks!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths-enthusiast)
    Don't quote me on this as I'm no expert.

From what little I know, universities in france are underfunded, the classes are huge, protests are rife and a lot of other 'red-tape' issues afflict government unis which is what mostly exist there.

Also your knowledge of French language need to be extremely high, you need to be fluent in it.

I don't think there are exact correspondences with Anglo Saxon systems when it comes to degrees. There is no exact equivalent of the Bachelor's degree (B.Sc/B.A. etc) in France although Licentiat (sp?) probably comes close. Maitrise is probably the same as Master's degrees like M.Sc/M.A. etc.
    Spot on. Undergrad in France is utter crap, apart from the prepa and a few schools, and they're extremely hard to get in if you're not coming from a french highschool. One word of advice: don't.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be ridiculously hard to try and organise applying to a french uni. Have you considered going to a uni and doing ERASMUS? That way, you'd still be getting a degree from an English uni but it would be fairly easily organised to do a year in France, where you would actually be studying at a uni there and not just going after your degree.

I'm going to uni to do biochemistry with a year in France next year, and that suits me fine. The year in france counts for about 10% of the course overall and they take into account the fact you may not do as well in a different language I think. But if you actually want to study language then there must be loads of courses that offer a year abroad.

Also, just as an afterthought, wouldn't uni in France study french like we study English here? i.e. it wouldn't be learning the actual language of french because they'd have known it since birth, it would be i dunno, french literature or something.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats why if i go to uni in France i'd study italian.

If i go here it'll be french and italian , see my first post.

ReputationRep:
    oh right oops sorry should have read your post properly. This is called sunday night trying to avoid french speaking questions
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Okay, the first thing I have to say is that French universities are a complete nightmare to communicate, particularly if you aren't already in the French education system.

A standard licence is 3 years, like a BA.

I think I have seen websites, but they were all years out of date/full of links that didn't actually go anywhere, so you really need to look at each university individually (some are better than others in this regard).

Is there anywhere in particular you were thinking of, region-wise ?

Edit: Note that most places will require you to take the DALF (Diplôme approfondi de la langue française) or some sort of in-house equivalent (I'd go for the latter if I were you, the entry fee for DALF is extortionate). I'm not sure how hard this is, but make sure your grammar is up to scratch.

ReputationRep:
    Preferably in the southern half of France but other than that i don't mind. If i found a good uni in the north i'd go there.
    So no websites anyone knows?

French people please help!!!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    There's not really much to choose between most French universities really, unless certain ones are particularly good in certain areas.

http://www.univ-avignon.fr/fr/format...sentation.html

What you really need to do, is look at towns in the vague area and see what courses they offer. It's quite arduous, unfortunately.

(I'm assuming you've done Italian A Level, otherwise I think you're a bit ****** in France).

ReputationRep:
    No i was hoping to start it from scratch. Is it not taught from scratch in french unis? I cant believe they all do it at school :/

ReputationRep:
    I cant see this happening i think i'm going to have to give up this idea
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't think many places do it from scratch, but I'm probably not the best person to ask :/
    (Original post by anatheme)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Afaik, you can't do Italian from scratch at uni in France, which is why I moved to the UK when I decided to do Arabic and Russian. And yeah, going to uni in France is in general not a very good idea :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannsg)
    I'm in year 12 wanting to study French and Italian at uni.
    I want to move to France straight after uni so then i started thinking why not just go to uni in France!?
    I know nothing about it however so need some help and advice!
    Are there any websites or sources of knowlege for internationals students studying at France unis?

How long is a typical French degree and could I get in with A-Levels?

Obviously if i go to uni in France i won't need to do French as I'd be in France, I'd just study Italian.

I'm obviously aware the degree is taught in French and I intend to practice as much as possible the summer before uni and see how it goes or take a year off and get my French fluent.

I know i could just study here and go to France after but I am not one for doing things the normal way!

Advice please!!!!
    1. personally, I wouldn't- UK universities seem to be a lot better. I think its too much of a gamble, not to mention the fact you don't know what you're letting yourself in for trying to do a degree in french- I know people who spent over a year learning french who still find studying at uni a constant struggle- and those people spent that year studying hard a language school.
    2.in any case, I would say it would not be a bad idea at all to go live in france during your gap year- I was very much like you until I went to live in Germany and France during my gap year (I once thought that if I didn't get into cambridge Id just go to a french uni, and at the start of my gap year I basically wanted to set up shop in a french or german city and just live there and never go home (apart from visiting)- thats all completely changed in the past few months. being in france has certainly put me off going to a french university for life!

look up da_bachtopus and read his threads on the subject (in several different forums)
    I made a thread a while back about doing a french literature course in a french uni (somewhat similar situation)

ReputationRep:
    I am French (studying in the UK) and I can tell you there are good reasons why I'm not studying in France: As said earlier, universities are underfunded, and in many (especially in the social science and humanities campuses) group of anarchists/ anti-capitalists performe regular "bloquages" shuting down the whole uni... which is very detrimental to your studies. The link with employers is also not very good. Overall if you want to go to a French uni do it only if you want to do Law or Medicine are it is the only areas where they excel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deldongo)
    I am French (studying in the UK) and I can tell you there are good reasons why I'm not studying in France: As said earlier, universities are underfunded, and in many (especially in the social science and humanities campuses) group of anarchists/ anti-capitalists performe regular "bloquages" shuting down the whole uni... which is very detrimental to your studies. The link with employers is also not very good. Overall if you want to go to a French uni do it only if you want to do Law or Medicine are it is the only areas where they excel.
    Come and join the rest of us that escaped France! La Société Française. Where are you studying, btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueberrymuffin)

Also, just as an afterthought, wouldn't uni in France study french like we study English here? i.e. it wouldn't be learning the actual language of french because they'd have known it since birth, it would be i dunno, french literature or something.
    apparently not

it would be a better option for the OP to do italian at a french university on an ERASMUS programme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannsg)
    No i was hoping to start it from scratch. Is it not taught from scratch in french unis? I cant believe they all do it at school :/
    as the other frenchies said, it is not a good idea.

the french system is really complicated and a licence (3 years) is not like a BA or a BSc (it is very hard to work after a licence in France).
    in UK, students usually work after their 3 years of bachelor, in France, they usually work after 3 years of licence and 2 years of master.

the good schools are a few "universities" and the "grandes écoles". the "grandes écoles" are schools which give you a master of science, not a bachelor because you start these schools after 2 years of preparation.

it is also hard to pass. im currently in a french uni, doing a law degree, and only 20% of the law students will study law in the second year of this uni.

take a gap year or go to France with erasmus later.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.