Turn on thread page Beta

lazy housemates WARNING;LONG POST watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To start this off, I moved in this house end of november and the people here had been living here since sept/ some the accademic year before. I moved in here as a quick fix (I did look around other places, found one great place but got messed around so settled for this) cos the place I was living in before was a family home that rents rooms out to students (I was the only student at the time). The landlady wouldn't let me do anything (have my gf over/restricted my shower time/ restricted my cooking hours etc etc).

While I have my freedom in this house and no crying baby it is a completle **** hole! And its mainly down to the fact that

(a) no one cleans, the kitchen is an absolute state! they cleaned it like twice since Ive been here but only cos the landlord told them to! He's not their dad, it shouldnt get to the point where he has to say CLEAN THIS PLACE UP?!!! I dont even wanna use the kitchen and Im also the only one who cleans the bathroom, even though the very next day the same person who is always leaving the power to the shower ON. leaves it in a mess!! the house is filthy and stinks and the only clean room is mine! Ive seen theirs, can't even see the floor its so messy! this is a 5 person house and people are soooooooo lazy!

(b) rubbish pilling up= I'm the only one who puts the wheelie bin out but couple of weeks the council didnt take it so its building up as there is 5 people's rubbish, landlord sent an email to them after I asked him for assistance in getting them to help me sort it out otherwise we WILL get rats

(c) gas and electric is metered. This was a real issue when I first moved in, there was no gas as no one wanted to top it up and the electric kept running out 4/5/6 times a WEEK cos they kept either not bothering to top up or just putting small amounts on and then having their heates on full blast in their rooms (I only got one in january cos it was -5 and I was freezing to death in here).

The landlord sorted this, we each now put in £30 a month towards both but it hasn't quite worked out in the first month of doing this!!! We had 75 on gas and 75 on electric right (on 26th of february), no one seems to know where the thermostat is so the heating was on soooooooo hot that they kept turning it off and back on when it got cold, I got told this is the worst thing you can do! So yes, the gas ran out almost a week ago :rolleyes: the electric was going down slow enough but since the gas ran out people have had their heaters on again so basically we now have £10 to last through till thursday when rent is due and utilities money, no one has said what we will do if it runs out beforehand!

(d) other bills... so far since Ive been here Ive paid £10 in internet to the girl who sorts it, but other bills such as water/ tv licence etc NOWT

I sorted through all the post by the front door the other day, most of it belongs to names I do not know but in that pile was a ton of unopened water bills addressed to my housemates so I put them in a place they could see them, they are still sitting there. I found an old bill from last year when it was some of the people here now plus Im guessing other people, REALLLLY overdue in payment! I don't wanna get in trouble for living here and water not getting paid for! but I can't exactly open post not in my name to see how much we owe and why it has not been paid, I told the landlord and he didn't respond :s:

They are sooooooo lazy about everything! they basically are like children because they can't even pick up after themselves! An example of this is that one of them (girl) did some laundry and dropped a pair of knickers on the floor, now you'd think she would have noticed and picked them up?? nopes, still on the floor getting filthy, someone even pushed them into the corner and she hasnt seen them yet!)

Another thing, in regards to cleaning the bathroom, I was fed up of finding the cardboard bits from loo rools on the floor in the bathroom so put my own little bin in there for them, they still didnt use it! Also one of the girls thought it was ok to put her used period pads in there UNWRAPPED for the whole world to see what her period looks like! so basically I bleached my bin thoroughly and took it back!

I don't wanna have to move but these people are making my life hell!!! The other day, all my food had started to defros cos some idiot didnt bother to close the freezer! It was wide ******* open for probably hours before I noticed :eek3:

Any words of advice?

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, your sanity is worth more than the hassle it would take to move out....
    Me and my gf are going through similar problems at our house, although not as bad as that and we've finally had it so we're moving out now.

Atthe end of the day, what's the point of staying there if it's making you unhappy and no doubt affecting uni etc.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your response and sorry to hear about your current place! Ive put an ad up to see what interest I get but I doubt any, the knicker girl had a couple of people come to see her room since jan, from my understanding she had another place on hold cos she was expecting someone to take her room and it hasnt happened, Im guessing people were put off by the mess and general smell

Sounds like my worst nightmare. I've had similar issues but not to the same extent but somethings sound very familiar like nobody bothers to put the rubbish out except me (so if I'm not home that night it doesn't go out) and the toilet roll cardboard on the floor is just like my house. Just things like that but I can totally sympathise because when all the little issues build up it makes home not a very nice place to be. If it were just one housemate I'd say then as a group the rest of you need to take action, cleaning rota type thing just to wipe down the work surfaces and sweep the floor once a week but if everyone is lazy that won't work and it looks like you are stuck with the situation.

It doesn't help that because you can't stand it you tidy and clean and therefore everyone else gets into the habit of not having to bother because they know someone will sort it eventually. I have the problem that some of my housemates just won't buy toilet paper when we run out, perhaps they know it will be bought eventuallly so I've started buying my own and hiding it with my bathroom stuff so only I know where it is. If they can't ever be bothered to sort out the issue then so be it, I've come up with my own solution!

How long do you have left in the house? It might have to be a case a just putting up with it until you move out unless the landlord could intervene somehow, no idea how that would work though?

ReputationRep:
    That sounds awful - I don't understand how people can be like that...do they expect their Mum to come round and clear up after them when they own a house in a future?!
    I can't really offer anything other than my sympathy tbh! Maybe you could take over the managing of the water bills etc?

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.