The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Uhh, I'd say for the most part mine is, except I've always found my nose to be too rounded for my face (which is already round). But eh, whatever.
Reply 21
Odd eyebrowssssss!

Ugh
nope
Reply 23
you had a stroke?
Reply 24
well, facial symmetry is interesting.

It is true that generally the more symmetrical the face the more attractive it is rated, but there are two interesting quirks:

1) the curve is inverted U shaped - basically, there is a peak (i'm not sure what it is, something like 98% or 99% symmetrical), but the ones that are VERY symmetrical (almost 100%) are rated as less attractive, theoretically maybe because is more likely to be fake.

2) people can't tell how symmetrical a face is. The evidence suggests that the more symmetrical a face is the more attractive it is rated, but if you ask the people directly "How symmetrical is this face?" they are very bad at it.

Did it in my evolutionary psychology lectures :smile:
I'm pretty sure my eyes are different sizes :tongue: Although when I ask people they don't see it, hmmmm.
Reply 26
Nobody's face is symetrical.

Apparently though, facial symmetry is often a qualifier of beauty.

I once heard however, that your brain actually interprets your face one side at a time or something like that, so if you flip your face the opposite way you'll look more masculine or feminine than the other way... :p:
Reply 27
yes i have a symetrical face, is it good/bad?!
thecdon
yes i have a symetrical face, is it good/bad?!

Doesn't matter.
Reply 29
Nope, I love covering one half of my face, and then comparing it with the other..so trippy...
Reply 30
Sephirona
Doesn't matter.
ok cool :smile:
Reply 31
Having had to research on this, I found out the symmetry has very little to do with facial beauty. Sure, very asymmetric faces are rated as less good looking, but in the range that most of us fall in, the asymmetries are so minor that they aren't really noticed.

In a study, people were shown 2 faces of a particular person, one being how they actually looked, and the other being a symmetrical version, and generally the original image was chosen as more attractive. Basically, it only really affects beauty if your at either extreme, too symmetrical or too asymmetrical.

Also, you would only be able to judge symmetry if looking at a person and their face was pointing directly at you and you then had the time to judge their face, which doesn't happen in the real world.
Reply 32
My face may be symmetrical but my features are vile and ruin it.
Yuffie
My face may be symmetrical but my features are vile and ruin it.

:lies: Are you hispanic?

By the way, my drawing. :whip:

Spoiler

Reply 34
Liz Hurley's face is, some evolutionary thing makes us more attracted to them, supposedly.

It is rare, though.
Uhmmmmmmm mine vaguely is
Drewski
Liz Hurley's face is, some evolutionary thing makes us more attracted to them, supposedly.

It is rare, though.

hers isn't compleeeetly identical
i'm that bored that i did this ahahhaa:

Reply 37
I'm just quoting the tv show I saw with her on.

To be fair, the picture you used doesn't look like it was taken exactly head on.
Reply 38
Sephirona
:lies: Are you hispanic?

By the way, my drawing. :whip:

Spoiler

Yeah I reeeally need to remember to do that. I promise I will one day :moon:

and THANKYOU for being the only person ever to realise I'm quarter hispanic :p:
Yuffie
Yeah I reeeally need to remember to do that. I promise I will one day :moon:

and THANKYOU for being the only person ever to realise I'm quarter hispanic :p:

Let's say I'm a good genealogist. :cool:

Latest