How hard is it to get into Nottingham maths? Watch

milliondollarcorpse
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
It says on the entry requirements page AAA/AAB, why would they give some people an AAB offer and others an AAA offer? Would it be based on you doing Further Maths, or just how strong your applicatior on is? And do they tend to reject a lot of people who have AAA (and possibly AAB) predictions?

Any information would be great because it's one of the universities which I'm interested in applying too
Mr Snips
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
\sqrt{-1}

This hard
TomLeigh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As far as I know, they primarily look at your AS results. I didn't do greatly in GCSEs compared to what I hear on here, with my only full A* in Maths, but my AS results were equal to the standard offer meaning I had evidence of meeting their requirements. As long as you have an enthusiastic PS which holds some promise, and 2-3 As at AS you should get an offer.
milliondollarcorpse
Rep:
?
(Original post by TomLeigh)
As far as I know, they primarily look at your AS results. I didn't do greatly in GCSEs compared to what I hear on here, with my only full A* in Maths, but my AS results were equal to the standard offer meaning I had evidence of meeting their requirements. As long as you have an enthusiastic PS which holds some promise, and 2-3 As at AS you should get an offer.
Thanks for the reply. Like you, I only got 1 A* at GCSE in Maths (with 6 A's, 3 B's and embarrassingly an E in french :p:) but I'm predicted AAAB for AS and taking on AS further maths next year...so I hope I have a chance
kingtoke
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by milliondollarcorpse)
It says on the entry requirements page AAA/AAB, why would they give some people an AAB offer and others an AAA offer? Would it be based on you doing Further Maths, or just how strong your applicatior on is? And do they tend to reject a lot of people who have AAA (and possibly AAB) predictions?

Any information would be great because it's one of the universities which I'm interested in applying too
AAA if you're not doing further maths, AAB if you are doing further maths (with A's in maths and Further maths)

I applied and didn't expect to get an offer as my predicted grades were lower than their standard offer. However I got an offer anyway, which means that nottingham obviously take into account more than just grades. I know that my reference was good, and I spent a long time on my personal statement. So I'd say just make sure you start preparing for that stuff now by making an effort to be enthusiastic and contributing in class. As well as doing as much extra curricular maths stuff as you can afford to do. If you genuinely enjoy maths, and can demonstrate the ability to do well in the course, then i'm sure you'll be fine!
milliondollarcorpse
Rep:
?
(Original post by kingtoke)
AAA if you're not doing further maths, AAB if you are doing further maths (with A's in maths and Further maths)

I applied and didn't expect to get an offer as my predicted grades were lower than their standard offer. However I got an offer anyway, which means that nottingham obviously take into account more than just grades. I know that my reference was good, and I spent a long time on my personal statement. So I'd say just make sure you start preparing for that stuff now by making an effort to be enthusiastic and contributing in class. As well as doing as much extra curricular maths stuff as you can afford to do. If you genuinely enjoy maths, and can demonstrate the ability to do well in the course, then i'm sure you'll be fine!
Well I'm head boy at my sixth form and I'm sure my reference will be fine, I also help out in a Year 11 GCSE Maths class. Do you think I would get an AABa offer if I do Further Maths AS?
conroe-killed-the-k8-star
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mr Snips)
\sqrt{-1}

This hard
Haha

Well , a mate of mine got an unconditional for next year but she got an S and 1 in STEP II and III respectively despite doing these a couple of years ago (she didn't take up her Cambridge offer because being an international student they wanted an absurd amount of money paid in advance).

Nottingham did oversubscribe this year with G100/G103 maths - they made too many offers like Warwick so I think they will be tightening up on who gets offers as well as how strictly to enforce them if you miss them.If anything though my experience is that the joint honours are a bit more lenient - we needed AAB with A in Maths/B in Physics and I know I also applied to Maths with Engineering which I was offered AAB or AAC including FM.
kingtoke
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well I'm head boy at my sixth form and I'm sure my reference will be fine, I also help out in a Year 11 GCSE Maths class. Do you think I would get an AABa offer if I do Further Maths AS?
The reason they don't require further maths for all their offers is that they know some schools don't have the facilities to provide further maths classes. So I'm guessing they might not like it if you're applying to do maths but haven't actually finished the further maths course. They would probably question your dedication. Unless of course AS but not A2 F. maths only was available to you. In that case then you should explain it in your personal statement.
conroe-killed-the-k8-star
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kingtoke)
The reason they don't require further maths for all their offers is that they know some schools don't have the facilities to provide further maths classes. So I'm guessing they might not like it if you're applying to do maths but haven't actually finished the further maths course. They would probably question your dedication. Unless of course AS but not A2 F. maths only was available to you. In that case then you should explain it in your personal statement.
Good point Kingtoke - burt I get the impression that here the attitude generally is that the course is pitched at not needing more than C4 - they will look favourably on you for having done 9 units of maths compared to those with six.There aren't as many people as you'd think who have FM , not sure what the exact proportion was but I would probably say around 40%.

But if your sixth form has FM available I agree , why not do it seeing as you're doing a mathematics degree?
milliondollarcorpse
Rep:
?
My sixth form doesn't actually offer FM, I will be doing it with a tutor outside of school. I thought it would be a good idea since it would show my dedication towards the subject, and plus, you can never do too much maths

And thanks for the replies
elsa_89
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by conroe-killed-the-k8-star)
Haha

Well , a mate of mine got an unconditional for next year but she got an S and 1 in STEP II and III respectively despite doing these a couple of years ago (she didn't take up her Cambridge offer because being an international student they wanted an absurd amount of money paid in advance).

Nottingham did oversubscribe this year with G100/G103 maths - they made too many offers like Warwick so I think they will be tightening up on who gets offers as well as how strictly to enforce them if you miss them.If anything though my experience is that the joint honours are a bit more lenient - we needed AAB with A in Maths/B in Physics and I know I also applied to Maths with Engineering which I was offered AAB or AAC including FM.
This is only true for some joint honours courses. I know some people doing Mathematics and Economics and their offer was AAA. I imagine that's because that is a more competitive course.

OP, as someone has already said, the standard offer is AAA or AAB with A's in Maths and F.Maths. Since you have AS F.Maths you might get an offer of AABa with A's in both maths subjects.
jhs08
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As far as I knew, if you were doing FM to A-level then the standard offer was AAB, otherwise it was AAA. In any case, the year I applied it seemed that everyone who was predicted AAB/AAA got an offer. But like someone has said, I think it was oversubscribed so they may have tightened up this year.

If I remember correctly I got A for maths AS, but a B for further maths AS. (Overall I had AABBC for as levels). I got an offer within a few weeks of applying (AAB including A in maths and FM), so it didn't seem like they were making a difficult choice...

If you're predicted A in maths and FM (if you do it), and AAA or AAB overall, then I'd think (note: just my personal thoughts!) you have a good chance of getting an offer. Go for it - nottingham is a great uni!

Best of luck.
HammaL
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Word of warning; if you are not prepared to do further Maths (at least up to AS-level) now then you will struggle in this department. It is a tough place to get a degree from but you'll be sorted when you come out, I have met quite a few actuaries at WW/Mercer, traders at goldman sachs, etc... with a degree in Maths at Notts. Goodluck
milliondollarcorpse
Rep:
?
(Original post by HammaL)
Word of warning; if you are not prepared to do further Maths (at least up to AS-level) now then you will struggle in this department. It is a tough place to get a degree from but you'll be sorted when you come out, I have met quite a few actuaries at WW/Mercer, traders at goldman sachs, etc... with a degree in Maths at Notts. Goodluck
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm self teaching further maths AS next year.
laura_beth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am doing further maths AS this year and my offer is AAA

Other factors you mentioned
I got AAAB last year (what you are predicted) [physics, ICT, maths and biology is its relevant at all)
and 1 A* at GCSE like you...

Manchester gave me an offer of ABBa with AS FM but when I was looking most places seemed to give an offer with FM or without it

you should get an offer though, provided your PS is alright, but i doubt it will be AABa

Still, work at it and you will be fine getting AAA :yep:
Edenr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by elsa_89)
I'm quite surprised that they didn't lower the offer and ask for an A in AS FM :confused:

I guess they must just be trying to avoid another bumper year.:rolleyes:
Yeah, they must be.
laura_beth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by elsa_89)
I'm quite surprised that they didn't lower the offer and ask for an A in AS FM :confused:

I guess they must just be trying to avoid another bumper year.:rolleyes:
Yeah, would have been nice for it to be slightly lower, but never mind guess I will just have to work harder for My 3 A's! :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (234)
27.34%
No (622)
72.66%

Watched Threads