Wrapping up warm with a sore throat Watch

Danielle89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Had a bit of a dispute with my flatmate about this. I have a sore throat at the moment thats been giving me headaches also, possibly a mild throat infection like ones I've had in the past. She and others keep telling me to wrap up warm/cover my chest/wear a scarf etc. Now is it just me or is this crap? Cos I'd have thought if the infection is there, it's because a virus or bacteria has lynched on, and wrapping up warm will do nothing to remove it?

If its not crap, what is the reasoning behind wrapping up warm when you have a cold/throat infection?
Oladz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I heard cold/flu virus survive/multiply better in colder conditions (such as those found in the nose in comparisson to other parts of the body for example) and this may be why part of the immune response is to raise core body temperature slightly. If parts of your body where the virus is present are cooler, then they may be more succeptible to infection.

That said, i thonk its unlikely that the inside of your throat would be warmed up due to you wrapping up warm.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are a lot of old wives' tales about whether you should treat someone with a fever by wrapping them up warm (and letting them "sweat it out") or cool them down. Generally cooling down is now felt to be the better thing to do. But if we're talking about a mild throat infection, neither is likely to have much of an effect. Do what makes you feel most comfortable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (4)
44.44%
No - I got the required grades (4)
44.44%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (1)
11.11%

Watched Threads