Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ...because they get a bad press when compared to some of the more traditional subjects. This thread is for you to kill some myths, set out how important it is -and why, and to defend your subject against old skool onslaughts.

Keep it polite.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the media is everywhere, so surely it is important to look at it critically rather than just absorb it like a sheep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AustralAlien)
    Well, the media is everywhere, so surely it is important to look at it critically rather than just absorb it like a sheep?
    How about hydrogen atoms ? They are everywhere too.
    In fact there are hydrogen atoms in places where the media does not exist ( like in my left nostril ).

So surely, the critical study of hydrogen must be more important than the critical study of media ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    How about hydrogen atoms ? They are everywhere too.
    In fact there are hydrogen atoms in places where the media does not exist ( like in my left nostril ).

So surely, the critical study of hydrogen must be more important than the critical study of media ?
    Did I say otherwise? Regardless, you're simply a troll that would argue with a brick wall if you thought it would get someone wound up. Unfortunately for you, this brick wall doesn't give a rat's tit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AustralAlien)
    this brick wall doesn't give a rat's tit.
    So is that media criticism or is that sociology ?

ReputationRep:
    I do both, and I think they are actually really important subjects!

For example, if I wasn't doing Media, I wouldn't know half as much. It's shocking how much you learn about absolutely everything with something that seems like an easy subject.
    Media is all around us! If we didn't have the media, this site wouldn't exist. A lot wouldn't exist.
    Take a look around you and everything you're using is influenced by the media, how you bought everything, where you got it...you were influenced by some media source to do what you're doing right now.
    So don't say it's not important!

Also, sociology is about SOCIETY! It's about learning how society works, so it is also very important.
    If we didn't know how society works, then we are just plain ignorant. It's shocking to learn some statistics and realise that that is how society is.

Both subjects have a purpose, even if those who think that nothing matters beyond maths and science think that.
    We're behind you, knowing more about the world than how many molecules something has and what the perpendicular of a square is.
    So there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicky_innit)
    It's shocking to learn some statistics and realise that that is how society is.
    You have managed to combine a non sequitur and doubled word.
    You make a great ambassador for your choice of subjects. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    You have managed to combine a non sequitur and doubled word.
    You make a great ambassador for your choice of subjects. :cool:
    I'm guessing you're the one who neg repped me xD

Ah well
    You could actually correct my mistakes and it may be considered as constructive criticism!

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you're the one who neg repped me xD

You could actually correct my mistakes
    No, I was not the person who neg repped you.
    Others in this forum must have been offended by your post too.
    Being completely clueless about how to write even a single sentence in English does not convey a great impression of the " subjects " (Media and Sociology) that you are studying.

You could actually correct my mistakes
    I corrected your errors.
    It is your problem if you are unable to work out how to implement those suggested corrections.

ReputationRep:
    No, I was not the person who neg repped you.
    Others in this forum must have been offended by your post too.
    Being completely clueless about how to write even a single sentence in English does not convey a great impression of the " subjects " (Media and Sociology) that you are studying.

I corrected your errors.
    It is your problem if you are unable to work out how to implement those suggested corrections.

Oh no.
    My life is over because someone mocked my use of English.

I actually want to continually use bad grammar, et cetera, just to annoy.
    Bring on the negative reputation I say

And if people find my use of English "offensive", then so be it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 12, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.