The Student Room Logo

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

ravenn

Is there any colleges that are particularly big on sports? But I'm not thinking the traditional football, rugby type; I do a real lot of dancing (5 days a week) and would love to be able to carry it on at university.

The main dance classes and competitive teams at Oxford are organised through the University societies, so it's not likely to be crucial if you pick a College which doesn't have its own club, though some (such as LMH) have halls which are suitable for class venues. What sorts of dancing do you like? The OU Dancesport Club is brilliant, if you're into ballroom.
ravenn
Hey, I'm looking to apply to Oxford to study maths, but unsure which college to choose.
I have looked through all the colleges on the prospectus and the alternative prospectus but still no closer to a decision.
I don't want a college that is all about work work work;
Is there any colleges that are particularly big on sports? But I'm not thinking the traditional football, rugby type; I do a real lot of dancing (5 days a week) and would love to be able to carry it on at university.
Help much appreciated :smile: !

It's worth mentioning that New College has just undergone a change to its JCR constitution which add Dance to the previous MAD (Music, Art and Drama) position. From Michaelmas this year we'll have MADD events in college. I know a lot of people have high hopes for lots of new dancing classes etc. :smile:
Reply 1362
nexttime
x

Thanks, that was very helpful. Just one more question: I read somewhere that the tutors interview applicants blind of their BMAT score - do you know if BMAT is only used for interview shortlisting, or if it's an important factor post-interview for deciding on offers?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1363
scherzi
Thanks, that was very helpful. Just one more question: I read somewhere that the tutors interview applicants blind of their BMAT score - do you know if BMAT is only used for interview shortlisting, or if it's an important factor post-interview for deciding on offers?

The scores from BMAT and interviews are combined and the top however many candidates are then given places, with first choices colleges having first dibs on students. You might want to listen to the medicine admissions podcast, which can be found here.
Reply 1364
BJack
The scores from BMAT and interviews are combined and the top however many candidates are then given places, with first choices colleges having first dibs on students. You might want to listen to the medicine admissions podcast, which can be found here.

I see, thanks a bunch.
Reply 1365
roopeehoox
Is it really true that Trinity at Oxford is widely disliked in the same way as St John's at Cambridge?

No.
Reply 1366
Festina lente
What sorts of dancing do you like? The OU Dancesport Club is brilliant, if you're into ballroom.

I do ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop, street, freestyle. Ballroom's not really my thing :tongue:

So if dancing activities are mostly based in societies, that means that there's not one college that has a better reputation than others?
I just want to maximise my chances of getting in anyway possible :tongue:
And plus I still want to be able to dance somewhere reasonably local during my time at university!

Thanks so much :smile:
Just wondering which college has a more "literary-esque" tradition? In terms of writing/poetry etc...

But are societies open to all oxford people rather than people just in the college themselves?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1368
spacepirate-James
But are societies open to all oxford people rather than people just in the college themselves?

There are societies both at college and at university level, and the former would normally just be open to members of that college. Having said that, though, if you were desperate to join the Keble cake-baking society, you'd probably be able to persuade them to let you in, provided they had a place to spare.
xCHiiBiEverlastingx
Is it far from the science area?

It would be probably the furthest college you could choose given that the exp' psych building is the far side. However, not actually very far at all - maybe 15 mins walk, much shorter cycle? Also, bear in mind that some colleges make you 'live out (private accommodation) or waaay off site for second year - i think Worcester is pretty good as far as that goes...?
(edited 13 years ago)
Hey, I'm currently applying for UCAS 2011, for history. I found a college that I really liked, which was Wadham. However, I may not be able to apply there because a boy from my school who is also applying for history also likes it. Was wondering if anyone could tell me a college that is similar to Wadham, or maybe a bit more about Wadham in general. It just seemed like on the open day that there was no catch to it.

Thanks
Frank
Reply 1371
Why would it make any difference applying to somewhere that someone else from your school is applying to?
Reply 1372
Just apply to Wadham, if you like it. It shouldn't make a difference.
skotch
Why would it make any difference applying to somewhere that someone else from your school is applying to?

Because some schools, like mine, actually don't allow two applicants to go for the same subject in same college, as they'd be competing...apparently this would make it awkward if one got in one didn't.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1374
Felix101
Because some schools, like mine, actually don't allow two applicants to go for the same subject in same college, as they'd be competing...apparently this would make it awkward if one got in one didn't.

Such schools should be told to grow the **** up. In the year below me, there were two people from the same school studying the same subject.

If one gets in and one doesn't, they will have to deal with it.

Regardless, your school can't actively stop you. To the OP, I say apply to Wadham, and tell your school to stick their idiotic opinions.

Addendum: that said, Balliol is awesome, and I would encourage anyone to apply there over Wadham (which is probably a close second). But still, tell your school to **** off; it's your future.
(edited 13 years ago)
cpchem
Such schools should be told to grow the **** up. In the year below me, there were two people from the same school studying the same subject.

Regardless, your school can't actively stop you. To the OP, I say apply to Wadham, and tell your school to stick their idiotic opinions.

I agree! Or tell the other boy to go choose somewhere else - why does it have to be you?!
What in particular did you like about Wadham? The size, the grounds, the facilities (which ones?) etc. Its pretty hard to recommend a college that is simialr in every way! Also, not all colleges have to have a downside!

cpchem

Addendum: that said, Balliol is awesome, and I would encourage anyone to apply there over Wadham (which is probably a close second). But still, tell your school to **** off; it's your future.

Given the actual amount of difference between colleges, why all the unnecessary conflict? :confused:
**** what your school thinks. At the end of the day it's your decision. Don't let them stop you from doing what you want to do.

Your school cannot stop you applying to Wadham, so if you want to go, go!
Reply 1378
nexttime
Given the actual amount of difference between colleges, why all the unnecessary conflict? :confused:

I've never really bought into the argument that there's very little difference between colleges. I may have propagated it when required (open days, interviews etc.), but there are differences - some are quite minor, but others are pretty important. The ability of the college to accommodate you through your degree, for example. The presence of (a decent range of) tutorial fellows in your subject, to save you being sent around the houses. The levels of financial support for international students.

Ignoring that, it's hardly the point. It is not the business of the school to veto someone's application because it might upset someone else applying there. That's just pathetic - if you can't cope with the possibility that someone you know is better than you at something, you have serious issues. If you're that insecure, if your self-worth depends on your superiority to that extent, then Oxford is probably a dangerous place to be - because it's one place that you are guaranteed to meet people more talented than you.

(and apologies for the last paragraph; as I read it, it sounds awfully personal - all those 'you's everywhere. I would write 'one', except it sounds ridiculous!!)
(edited 13 years ago)
cpchem

I agree, it's just what they say. Although if I do now I wouldn't be around for them to get pissy as I've left :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Latest