The Student Room Logo

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Woostarite
Well, cost was certainly not an issue for Emma. I would have imagined she chose Worcester precisely for the reason of it being 'off the beaten path'.
If you mean undergrad accommodation, we're one of the few colleges to guarantee on site accommodation for the entire duration of your degree. Most of the accommodation is ensuite, modern and have kitchens, and price-wise is just slightly above average (reflecting the fact it's better than average accommodation).
Food-wise, Worcester is well known throughout Oxford for consistently having the best food of any college, to the extent that in the graduate student body we have a 'waiting list' of colleges to have exchange dinners with us.
Here's all you need to know about food: http://mcr.worc.ox.ac.uk/lifeatworcester/food

Ooh sounds good then. Is the grass in Worcester 'walkable'? :rolleyes:
Original post by punctuation
Ooh sounds good then. Is the grass in Worcester 'walkable'? :rolleyes:

Everywhere except the front quad.
Everywhere except the front quad.

Okay. Thanks for the information! Will definitely consider Worcester. :smile:
Reply 1903
Just to add to that, the food is widely considered the best, but is (I think) the second cheapest across the university. As an undergrad, First Hall and Formal Hall are £2.36. And the formals are amazing.

Just in case that influences you at all :wink:
Original post by Kinti
Just to add to that, the food is widely considered the best, but is (I think) the second cheapest across the university. As an undergrad, First Hall and Formal Hall are £2.36. And the formals are amazing.

Just in case that influences you at all :wink:

I'm really leaning towards Worcester now, despite the fact that it was the lowest ranked choice out of the top four I narrowed down to.

Good, cheap food... mmm...
Good, cheap food... mmm...

I feel that i should point out that literally every college claims to have "the best food". I really wouldn't base your entire decision on the posts of a couple of loyal undergrads :tongue:

It is undoubtedly a very nice college though, consistently being the most popular i believe.
Reply 1906
Original post by nexttime
I feel that i should point out that literally every college claims to have "the best food". I really wouldn't base your entire decision on the posts of a couple of loyal undergrads :tongue:

It is undoubtedly a very nice college though, consistently being the most popular i believe.

Nah, nobody from Teddy Hall would bother making that claim.

It's one you hear from Lincoln, Merton, Worcester, and ChCh, definitely. Possibly others too?
Original post by Bezzler

It's one you hear from Lincoln, Merton, Worcester, and ChCh, definitely. Possibly others too?

I dunno... the medics had a thing about going to other college lunches in first term and everyone always had a lot of loyalty to their college's food, even if the only thing they sold for lunch was cold sandwiches! I did not go to Teddy Hall or Worcester though :dontknow:

I've certainly yet to see a college lunch anywhere near as good as Merton's having been to perhaps 7. Its hard to beat a hot meal, dessert, soup and unlimited salad and meats for £2.60!

Our library now has a JCR motion banning sex in it. http://www.cherwell.org/news/2011/03/03/jcr-motions-no-mis-steak
It was getting to be quite an issue
Best quotation from the motion was that it noted "that the Library is not a human petting zoo in which members of the JCR partake in the rampant swapping of bodily fluids"
Original post by tuesday91
Our library now has a JCR motion banning sex in it. http://www.cherwell.org/news/2011/03/03/jcr-motions-no-mis-steak
It was getting to be quite an issue
Best quotation from the motion was that it noted "that the Library is not a human petting zoo in which members of the JCR partake in the rampant swapping of bodily fluids"

Uh... Well then, I'll be staying away from Brasenose...

Haha:

"All have been found to be missteaken in one way or another. The members have never been counted. Meatings steak place on Mondays.</p>

[The Steak Society] brings wonder and joy to the lives of poor and oppressed students by ‘meating’ all of their protein-based needs."
Original post by Bezzler

all souls. then again, you don't meet a lot of members of all souls as an undergraduate...

(i have eaten in most colleges. all souls is the best.)
All colleges may claim to be the best college, but I have yet to meet anyone from another college who has claimed it has better food than Worcester. And having eaten at about 15 colleges, I am still convinced Worcester has the best. Some colleges have formals which equal Worcester, but these are usually special dinners which occur on an irregular basis.
Even in an Oxford student newspapers when the reviewed our hall, they opened their article by dwelling on Worcester's reputation for having the best food in Oxford.
It's more a statement of fact than opinion. :wink:
All colleges may claim to be the best college, but I have yet to meet anyone from another college who has claimed it has better food than Worcester. And having eaten at about 15 colleges, I am still convinced Worcester has the best. Some colleges have formals which equal Worcester, but these are usually special dinners which occur on an irregular basis.
Even in an Oxford student newspapers when the reviewed our hall, they opened their article by dwelling on Worcester's reputation for having the best food in Oxford.
It's more a statement of fact than opinion. :wink:

ok, i'll bite. st antony's, nuffield, and all souls all have better food than worcester.

(you may note a theme running across the three colleges i have mentioned.)
Magdalen have deer...
Original post by fluteflute
Magdalen have deer...

I have deer in my backyard. :rolleyes: On that note, I have ducks in my backyard too... hahaha.

I have deer in my backyard. :rolleyes: On that note, I have ducks in my backyard too... hahaha.

I did see a dear run across my road once (well the road my close joins to).

Still, if I can't pick between colleges, it's a reason to give people who ask :wink:
Hi :smile:
was just wondering is there any colleges that can guarantee you will have your own single room? I really don't like the idea of sharing!
Also any colleges with a higher proportion of ensuites? not essential for me but would be nice maybe in 2nd/3rd year??
I'm looking into Merton and maybe Baillol, but i don't really mind which college, would just like some information on it!!
Original post by pudsey_h11
Hi :smile:
was just wondering is there any colleges that can guarantee you will have your own single room? I really don't like the idea of sharing!
Also any colleges with a higher proportion of ensuites? not essential for me but would be nice maybe in 2nd/3rd year??
I'm looking into Merton and maybe Baillol, but i don't really mind which college, would just like some information on it!!

I think (almost?) no college requires its student to share a room. This isn't the US!

Merton doesn't have that many en-suites. Maybe 50 or so? Reasonable chance of getting one in third year, although not really in other years. Kind of a side affect of having older buildings in the crowded centre really.
Reply 1918
The closest you'd come to sharing a room in any college is having a set, i.e. separate bedrooms with a shared living space for two people.
Worcester has loads of en suite accommodation, something like 2/3 to 3/4 of all its rooms.
Reply 1919
6/7 of Mansfield first years get en-suite accommodation.

Quick Reply