Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine missed the deadline for application to Medicine, because she was basically messed in the head (she wanted to do Medicine real bad but she didn't know it). So now she's applying to Biomedical Sciences and Biochemistry courses in the hope that she can transfer to Medicine after the first year. How easy is this to do? And is it rare or common to 'cheat' the system this way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    A friend of mine missed the deadline for application to Medicine, because she was basically messed in the head (she wanted to do Medicine real bad but she didn't know it). So now she's applying to Biomedical Sciences and Biochemistry courses in the hope that she can transfer to Medicine after the first year. How easy is this to do? And is it rare or common to 'cheat' the system this way?
    think its very rare to go that way, lots of people drop out and go the other way tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    think its very rare to go that way, lots of people drop out and go the other way tho.
    <puffs cheeks> Medicine is that hard???

ReputationRep:
    <puffs cheeks> Medicine is that hard???
    well it shouldn't be, but its more common to drop out than move in.

ReputationRep:
    Messed in the head? I wouldn't go anywhere near her if she was doctor. Who knows, she might sow my limbs the wrong way round!

mmmmmm........i think the unis have caught onto that "cheat"......not much chance really...come on.....biomedical sciences requires bbc/bbb.....i've been offered that at kings london and sheffield......they are gonna take me and then let me transfer to medicine!!

ReputationRep:
    Yes your friend won't have a chance now, left it to late and will never be able to do medicine. Your friend won't be able to switch from biomed or biochem either, because quite simply the demand for med courses is just way too high. They won't even consider 'course switchers'. He/she will just have to re-think their career plans. It can't be med now i'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weasel)
    Yes your friend won't have a chance now, left it to late and will never be able to do medicine. Your friend won't be able to switch from biomed or biochem either, because quite simply the demand for med courses is just way too high. They won't even consider 'course switchers'. He/she will just have to re-think their career plans. It can't be med now i'm afraid.
    well your wrong, because if she gets a good degree she can try to get onto a graduate 4yr course, but that's very competitive. If she really wants to do medicine then she should apply next year.

ReputationRep:
    She could always re-apply next year.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    well your wrong, because if she gets a good degree she can try to get onto a graduate 4yr course, but that's very competitive. If she really wants to do medicine then she should apply next year.
    It depends how old she is at the moment. She had better hurry up + had better get/have at least 4 A's + had better have loads of voluntary work etc under her belt + better have the appropriate character/personality for medicine + had better be hardworking. I really think some people aren't very realistic about themselves and aim too high, I don't mean to sound harsh, but 'messed up in the head' sounds like she doesn't want to do medicine bad enough, if you know what I mean. Loads of people that get rejected would give their right arm for a place. She doesn't seem that determined thats all i'm saying.

ReputationRep:
    I think you can actually still cheat the system as long as you do the correct modules. She would also need to ace them but I have heard of people taking that route so I think it is do able there is normally alot of flexibility for changing uni courses in the first year. It does obviously depend on which uni you choose.

she won't be able to swap biomed - med, but could have done it the other way round. Basically biomed is easier and has lower entry requirements that med. The unis have caught onto people trying to use this as a 'back door' method to get into medicine and have stopped allowing people to do it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Even if there is a small possibility of being able to transfer (unlikely in any uni which offers patient contact on med courses from the start - they're much to expensive to run to allow biomed students to take part in) it's incredibly daft to place all your hopes on a slight possibility instead of either re-applying or taking a biosciences degree she will enjoy and do well at in with the aim of getting entry onto a 4 yr graduate course.

She's as deluded as the people who apply to do politics with law in the hope of transferring onto the straight law course.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how old she is at the moment. She had better hurry up + had better get/have at least 4 A's + had better have loads of voluntary work etc under her belt + better have the appropriate character/personality for medicine + had better be hardworking. I really think some people aren't very realistic about themselves and aim too high, I don't mean to sound harsh, but 'messed up in the head' sounds like she doesn't want to do medicine bad enough, if you know what I mean. Loads of people that get rejected would give their right arm for a place. She doesn't seem that determined thats all i'm saying.
    Well she has a fair bit of relevant work experience, already has an A in A-Level Turkish, and a bright friendly personality. She's always been determined to be a doctor, it's a burning ambition for her. She also has Grade 7 in piano and Grade 2 in violin... hard-working and useful fingers...

ReputationRep:
    hard-working and useful fingers...
    lol... my friend enquired about a similar type of thing because she wasn't positive that she wanted to go into medicine so she thought she would keep her options 'open' by doing biomedical sciences and seeing how it went and then maybe transferring. It was strongly recommended not to go this way about it as chances of success are minimal. She did enquire about it at a few london unis who did stress that they would not consider transferring a biomed student into medicine (unless you had received an offer for medicine, then decided to change to biomed, and then decided to go back to medicine).

If it really is a 'burning ambition' then she should be willing to and determined enough to reapply next year which would definitely be the best bet (as long as she meets the minimum requirement grades) unless she would consider going for the accelerated graduate entry course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    lol... my friend enquired about a similar type of thing because she wasn't positive that she wanted to go into medicine so she thought she would keep her options 'open' by doing biomedical sciences and seeing how it went and then maybe transferring. It was strongly recommended not to go this way about it as chances of success are minimal. She did enquire about it at a few london unis who did stress that they would not consider transferring a biomed student into medicine (unless you had received an offer for medicine, then decided to change to biomed, and then decided to go back to medicine).

If it really is a 'burning ambition' then she should be willing to and determined enough to reapply next year which would definitely be the best bet (as long as she meets the minimum requirement grades) unless she would consider going for the accelerated graduate entry course.
    She's the type to do whatever it takes, so if it means reapplying or doing it post-grad she will do so. But maybe she can take encouragement from DanMM, if she works hard enough (and it sounds like hard is extremely hard in this case) she could be considered.

ReputationRep:
    I can't say about specific unis/courses, but switching from related sciences to medicine is possible. The argument about different standards of applicants wouldn't really apply, assuming the person realistically assessed themselves of being able to do the course. Just because entry for biomed sciences is BBB doesn't mean straight A candidates won't do the course, nor does it mean they're not good enough to do medicine. I don't think it's cheating the system to go through a 'back route', as you'll still be assessed to be capable of doing the new course no matter which route you take.

As people have already said, if the person really wants to do medicine, then they'll do whatever it takes. Taking the post-graduate course would be a waste of time in my opinion, unless the person actually wants a biomedical sciences degree, which they could probably get through an intercalated course anyway. A gap year seams to be the easiest option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rIcHrD)
    I can't say about specific unis/courses, but switching from related sciences to medicine is possible. The argument about different standards of applicants wouldn't really apply, assuming the person realistically assessed themselves of being able to do the course. Just because entry for biomed sciences is BBB doesn't mean straight A candidates won't do the course, nor does it mean they're not good enough to do medicine. I don't think it's cheating the system to go through a 'back route', as you'll still be assessed to be capable of doing the new course no matter which route you take.

As people have already said, if the person really wants to do medicine, then they'll do whatever it takes. Taking the post-graduate course would be a waste of time in my opinion, unless the person actually wants a biomedical sciences degree, which they could probably get through an intercalated course anyway. A gap year seams to be the easiest option.

i'm probs replying to your message kinda late, but course your friend can go do medicine, my mum just did a biochemistry degree, her friends have gone of to do medicine cos they got 1st class degree, you have to tell your friend that they won't let her on the course if she don't get a first, well hope i helped. x

ReputationRep:
    My mother did exactly this. She still got on to medicine just fine, just made sure she chose suitable modules. Of course, the system may well have changed since then....

(Original post by SugarPlum)
    My mother did exactly this. She still got on to medicine just fine, just made sure she chose suitable modules. Of course, the system may well have changed since then....
    mine did as well (strange pattern emerging) she has like a B and an E at a-level in french and english or something(remember this is like 20 years ago) but then did a science degree with the OU, got a first and then did medicine at barts and also got a first

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 1, 2004

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.