Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    Jesus college, Oxford. Theres Dr Patricia Daley (fellow)
    She's tutoring me next term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    They havent. There is still an all male option in Oxford, its called St Benets Hall.
    What is St Benet's Hall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    What is St Benet's Hall?
    It's a Roman Catholic Permanent Private Hall (a religious mini-college). It's really small, only about 45 undergrads, and there are monks about. I don't think it can really be compared to St Hilda's as it isn't a fully-fledged college. See http://www.st-benets.ox.ac.uk/ for more info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    It's a Roman Catholic Permanent Private Hall (a religious mini-college). It's really small, only about 45 undergrads, and there are monks about. I don't think it can really be compared to St Hilda's as it isn't a fully-fledged college. See http://www.st-benets.ox.ac.uk/ for more info.
    Yeah there are a couple of PPHs which are single sex I think, I dont know of an all female one though.
    As a point of interest, you dont actually have to be Catholic to go to St Benets. I think ts the same with Greyfriars which I think is the Anglican one.
    The point I was making though is that it would be incorrect to suggest that there is no all male undergrad option within the University of Oxford, because there is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    Yeah there are a couple of PPHs which are single sex I think, I dont know of an all female one though.
    As a point of interest, you dont actually have to be Catholic to go to St Benets. I think ts the same with Greyfriars which I think is the Anglican one.
    The point I was making though is that it would be incorrect to suggest that there is no all male undergrad option within the University of Oxford, because there is.
    Oh, so it isn't essentially a "college" for Christian men...
    Theoretically, could you be assigned one of these PPHs if you made an open application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Oh, so it isn't essentially a "college" for Christian men...
    Theoretically, could you be assigned one of these PPHs if you made an open application?
    I'm pretty sure not, as I don't believe they take a set amount of undergraduates in each subject unlike the colleges. Also they are strongly religious in character, so you would have to positively want that sort of environment in order to fit in. However a friend of mine was sent on for a third interview at Benet's because he wasn't wanted by the first two colleges at which he was interviewed, and he went to a Roman Catholic school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I'm pretty sure not, as I don't believe they take a "set" amount of undergraduates in each subject unlike the colleges. However a friend of mine was sent on for a third interview at Benet's because he wasn't wanted by the first two colleges at which he was interviewed, and he went to a Roman Catholic school.
    Why do they provide these PPHs in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Different Christian denominations decided to found them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    They all have separate histories but basically they weren't created as part of the university, for the most part they grew up independently as separate institutions and were incorporated into the university later on. They can matriculate a certain (quite small) number of students every year. I'm not sure how old they all are, but since non-Anglicans were effectively debarred from university til the mid nineteenth century-ish I can see why they might have grown up alongside it. I suppose the university just felt expanding would be to its advantage. I know its possible to train for the priesthood at Cambridge, but I'm not sure if they do it at separate colleges or not.

ReputationRep:
    An interesting insight, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    well im totally in support of womens colleges...ive applied to one and i think theyre great...in a male dominated environment, women need a support system......i think too many sterotypes exist about all female colleges and thats the problem!

ReputationRep:
    From UK-Student.info -

(Original post by mons1914)
    These feminist arguments are wearing rather thin. Fact: women for years have outlived men, yet all the medical facilities and special programmes are for women. Fact: how many homeless women do you see?-answer very few. Fact: more women are now admitted to universities. Fact: women are far less likely to be victims of crime, or to commit suicide. Fact:women get preference in childcare and divorce. Fact: the media is full of contempt for men yet women are treated with exaggerated respect, not to mention all those man-hating soap operas-come to that every time I turn on a TV there are pictures of women slapping men-women are now condoned for dishing out corporal punishment to men at random while even verbal aggression toward a woman is now treated as domestic violence.. Fact: it's imposible to survive now in academia or the media if you openly disagree with feminism-show me one newspaper that regularly criticises feminism-even the Telegraph now carries germain Greer. Feminism has become the new fascist.

If it's a male dominated world then the dominant males must really hate men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    From UK-Student.info -
    Hmm, some extremely contentious points.
    The whinging on of some men because women now supposedly have it better (yeah right, maybe when there arent women still being denied access to basic education cos of their gender I might not laugh in the face of anyone who makes that argument) makes me have soooo much respect for those of you who dont! So all of you worthy boys, and you know who you are, pat yourself on the back from me!

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.