The Student Room Group

The "I am finding it extremely difficult to choose my firm and insurance" thread

:stomp: This is the thread for all those feeling the angst and confusion over trying to select your firm and insurance choices. Gah...it's extremely difficult. Anyone else need to make a decision between two fantastic institutions but are unable to do so because, well, you'd be scared declining the other?

So:

Course:
List of institutions you're contemplating (+ offer conditions):
Which of the institutions are you most inclined to choosing if there is one:
Pros and Cons of each:
Any additional comments:

:redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Course: economics (and history/business studies)
List of institutions you're contemplating: Manchester(business and economics)
Sheffield (Acc, Finances and Eco)
Manchester (mod hist w/ eco)
Manchester for firm, not sure for insurance (Sheffield or Manc again)
Pros and Cons of each: Sheffield is lower grades but I prefer Manchester
Any additional comments: Definately choosing modern histoy with economics as my firm at Manchester but not sure about insurance :confused:
Course: M100 or M120 Law
List of institutions you're contemplating: Queen Mary, Kent, De Montfort (and Keele)
Which of the institutions are you most inclined to choosing if there is one: Queen Mary for firm
Pros and Cons of each:
Queen Mary:
+ Absolutely loved it
+ Good links with city firms
+ Living in London (currently live in N Somerset)
+ year abroad
- Need AAA which is going to be really hard with my current AS grades although I'm doing retakes.

De Montfort:
+ Really liked it
+ Brand new facilities
+ City centre campus
+ They'll pay me to go there if I get over certain grades
+ Low offer
- Reputation isn't great and I might find it hard to have a good legal career with a degree from here

Kent:
+ Year abroad
- Haven't visited it yet but a friend has and she didn't like it. Am booked in to visit in the next month though.

Any additional comments:
Physics/Theoretical Physics.
Imperial's my firm, but I can't decide between Warwick (prefered the place but want the same grades as Imperial) or Sussex (place was okay, but quite close knit, but they want AB and might be willing to decrease that...)

How brave do I feel? :rolleyes:
I have no idea what to choose. I wouldn't say they are fantastic institutions, and I'm not scared of declining offers but I still don't know what to choose. I have applied for Diagnostic Radiography and it's out of Birmingham City, Hertfordshire, and St Georges. I like all of them, but at the same time there is something about each that I don't like. At the moment I think I'm swaying towards Birmingham City but the one thing that's holding me back is the amount of travel I will have to do to get to placements. I'm doing a BTEC as well so the firm I choose I will actually end up going to. I have set myself a deadline to have decided and accepted an offer by Saturday. That's only 4 days away and I'm getting nervous thinking about it haha.
Reply 5
I've definitely decided that my firm is Durham (AAB).
But I need help deciding on insurance.

I got three other offers:

Bristol - I really liked it, and I want to put it as insurance, but the entry requirements are the same - AAB, and I don't know how leniant they would be with the grades, especially if I'm only putting them down as insurance. Also most of the accomodation looks a pure trek from the chemistry department.

Leeds - I liked here too, not as much as Bristol though. Entry is ABB. The accomodation was nicer than Liverpool, but I've heard that the department isn't as good.

Liverpool - Also ABB. I really want to move away from home, and I already live in L'pool :/. I'd have to live in the accomodation, which I wasn't really fussed on... (No offence to anyone living there :p:). The department is meant to be good though.

So yeah, I really don't know which to put down.
I suppose it doesn't matter that much as I'm gonna work my socks off to get into Durham because I love it :redface: .
If I did miss out though I can't see myself at Leeds or Liverpool.
What would you guys do?
Reply 6
I'm stuggling to decide too! I think I have narrowed it down from my original four, to having to choose between Bangor and Hull for Psychology (with sociology at Hull). I liked them both when I visited.
Bangor has the advantages of nice scenery/surroundings, nice acommodation, and everything being within walking distance. Disadvantages are that is is a long drive to get there (about 4 and a half hours) and that it seems to be rather lacking in terms of nightlife.
Hull has the advantages of a decent nightlife and a shorter journey of about 2hrs 50 mins. Disadvantages are the reputation of the city, which doesn't bother me too much as it didn't seem that bad, although am slightly worried about there being chavs everywhere, and also that i'd have to get a bus from the acommodation to the campus/city centre.
Theres not much point in me having an insurance as I'm on an access course, so I will end up going wherever I choose as firm. Its soo hard! My other option to consider is Keele but that didn't really have as much that I liked about it as the other two :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Anyone? :/
As my sig suggests I should have thought through the old insurance...
Reply 9
NoPurposeTortoise

Lol, same - all my offers are the same (AAB)

Course: Mechanical Engineering
Unis:
Loughborough
Birmingham
Nottingham
Warwick
Decisions: Firm - Loughborough
Insurance - :s-smilie: probs Nottingham

Comments: Liked 'em all, Loughborough best for engineering.
Reply 10
Course: Nat sci
List of institutions you're contemplating (+ offer conditions): Durham AAA
UCL AAA
Reaplication (effectivly AAA as well :tongue:)
Which of the institutions are you most inclined to choosing if there is one: 33 : 33 : 33 split
Pros and Cons of each: Durham - Cheaper, more social. However not sure about course
UCL - I love london, really want to live in a city. But expensive blah blah blah
Reapplication - get to put more thought into application rather than deciding 3/5 of my choices on the morning of the deadline, con is that its lots of effort
Any additional comments: not putting a convential lower grade offer insurance
Reply 11
BA Geography.

Decision between Liverpool, Lancaster and Aberyswyth.
I could write pages about the pro's and con's of each, but I wont.
I dont need an insurace; I already have my grades, so wherever I pick is where I shall be going.
Cannot decide between the three at all, they all seem equally different, but good in their own respects.
Reply 12
Deavsie
Anyone? :/
If you don't like Leeds or Liverpool, you've answered your own question. Better to finish up in Clearing than to go to a uni you don't like and drop out?
Reply 13
I have no idea, really :/ once King's replies (hopefully soon, hmph), decision making time! ;/
I can make my decision pretty easily when Leeds replies. =( I can't do anything until then! I will only have a firm though, no insurance.
Reply 15
Course:
Economics

Notts (AABB), LSE (AAA), Warwick (AAB)

Notts

Pros and Cons of each:
Notts everything but reputation as high as LSE ... campus, city and grea course.
Warwick everything but city around it.
LSE just reputation.

Any additional comments:
Yes i know its London school of ECONOMICS but there is more to uni than just going to one with repuation, even though in the UK notts and warwick still have great rep.
Reply 16
Course: Biochemistry with Molecular Biology or Genetics

- UCL: 36 points in IB
- Bristol: 35 Points in IB
- Leicester: 34 Points in IB

Which of the institutions are you most inclined to choosing if there is one: There kind of is and isn't so nevermind.

Pros and Cons of each:

UCL:

- Great Reputation
- Loads of Research Funding
- London= awesome+expensive+NOT a UNI city.

Bristol:

- A pretty good ranking
- A good course
- A pretty fun city that can kind of be like a Uni-City

Leicester:

- Pretty much the best ranked course for Genetics and I WANT to be a geneticist in the future.
- Very, Very, VERY freaking cheap.
- Is a town/village and is apparently EXTREMELY boring.

Any additional comments:
- SOS
Reply 17
NoPurposeTortoise

Pick the one that is most likely to let you in with AAB.
Lindath
Pick the one that is most likely to let you in with AAB.

This is what I'm planning to do, the only difficulty being that I don't really know which is more likely to do so!
I was thinking of going for St Andrews, just because I like it best after Cambridge. Their standard offer was always AAB, but this year it's gone up. They might be more leniant... I hope :smile:
At least you people have a choice, I went and rejected my other offers as I only want Leicester for English! Sounds a bit mad to even me now but I liked Leicester far more than the others.

Latest

Trending

Trending