The Student Room Group

s's vs s' (Ross's or Ross')

Scroll to see replies

SillyFencer
Wrong. It is the former. Some people use the latter as it looks tidier and they get confused with the difference between showing ownership of a plural word compared to other words that end in s. The correct way is Ross's.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/words/grammar/punctuation/apostrophes/factsheet1.shtml
Reply 21
Urgh apostrophe rule! Worst nightmare!
I thought it was the latter until I saw a tube station called 'St. James's Park' or something similar.

I think London Underground has some linguistic authority.
Reply 23
Either.

I write Ross', though.
Reply 24

the examples are all plurals there, it's different with singular words that end in the letter s. i personally prefer ross's.
imtired
the examples are all plurals there, it's different with singular words that end in the letter s. i personally prefer ross's.

http://www.mantex.co.uk/samples/apo.htm :cool:
Reply 26

Correct. And it is this rule that leads people to become confused with words like Ross.
Ross'.
St Thomas' Hospital.
etc.

The extra s is becoming more common, but honestly I'd rather spork my own eyes out than use it.

**** those authorities that use the s, and also **** those who remove the apostrophe from everything, e.g. St Pauls Square in Birmingham. *foams at mouth*
Reply 28
common_person
Ross'.
St Thomas' Hospital.
etc.

The extra s is becoming more common, but honestly I'd rather spork my own eyes out than use it.

**** those authorities that use the s, and also **** those who remove the apostrophe from everything, e.g. St Pauls Square in Birmingham. *foams at mouth*

St Pauls Square can be correct, just as Regent Square would be correct. It would only be St Paul's Square if you are attributing ownership of the Square to St Paul. If you are merely naming the square after St Pauls, it's fine :wink:
SillyFencer
St Pauls Square can be correct, just as Regent Square would be correct. It would only be St Paul's Square if you are attributing ownership of the Square to St Paul. If you are merely naming the square after St Pauls, it's fine :wink:

:curious: There was a St Pauls or more than one St Paul, after whom the square is named? Surely the square is named after only one St Paul and the 's' can thus signify nothing but possession?

I agree that Regent Square is fine though, as there is no possession (Regent is being used adjectivally).
Reply 30
Ross' jumper is rather sexy
Reply 31
jismith1989
:curious: There was a St Pauls or more than one St Paul, after whom the square is named? Surely the square is named after only one St Paul and the 's' can thus signify nothing but possession?

I agree that Regent Square is fine though, as there is no possession (Regent is being used adjectivally).

I don't know who St Pauls is. I don't even know if Pauls is a surname. It's possible though :wink:

Oh, and in case you didn't realise... I am TTP.
SillyFencer
I don't know who St Pauls is. I don't even know if Pauls is a surname. It's possible though :wink:

Oh, and in case you didn't realise... I am TTP.

I'm pretty sure that it's named after one St Paul. Let's see what Wikipedia thinks... yep, it agrees. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Paul%27s_Square,_Birmingham

What's TTP

EDIT: Oh, I geddit! :eek: :ninja:
Reply 33
jismith1989
I'm pretty sure that it's named after one St Paul. Let's see what Wikipedia thinks... yep, it agrees. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Paul%27s_Square,_Birmingham

What's TTP

EDIT: Oh, I geddit! :eek: :ninja:

lol :biggrin:
Both are acceptable. What do I win?
Reply 35
increaseyourfanbase
Both are acceptable. What do I win?

A strawberry :smile:
SillyFencer
A strawberry :smile:

Eurgh, seriously? I won a book yesterday just for buying a bar of Galaxy.
Reply 37
increaseyourfanbase
Eurgh, seriously? I won a book yesterday just for buying a bar of Galaxy.

Strawberry's are nice :wink:
SillyFencer
Strawberry's are nice :wink:

Easily the most overrated of all the fruits.
increaseyourfanbase
Easily the most overrated of all the fruits.

:no: That's the peach.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending