The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Does LSE reconsider unsuccessful candidates?

As the title says really.. if someone has been rejected, does LSE ever reconsider you on any basis?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Flavity
As the title says really.. if someone has been rejected, does LSE ever reconsider you on any basis?

I received an 'unsuccessful' on ucas track for LSE today and am absolutely gutted, the offers I have from other universities aren't particularly fabulous as I did not likem all that much to be quite frank. Was really hoping for LSE.. so has anyone had any experience of them changing their minds?

Thanks

As far as I'm aware they're final

And I say this as an LSE reject.......
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Yes, but very very rarly

Which course did you apply?
Reply 3
Flavity
M100 Law

Is it as competitive as Economics?

On their website they did state that they will consider appeals,
and do you have any good reasons to go with your appeal?
Like a bad school ect...
Reply 4
Flavity
Ah.. I may appeal then. Thanks :smile:

Edit: And yes it is really really competitive.

Think carefully how are you going to appeal though, but don't leave it after tommrow
this maybe your only chance
Reply 5
Flavity
M100 Law

Same here. Rejected today.
No, it kills them. :yep:
They take forever deciding though... so if you couldnt stand the wait first time.. well.. don't expect this to be any quicker! :P
Reply 8
how do you go about appealing? and how can you ask for feedback?
If you're an exceptional candidate, yes :wink:
Lmao jk, I appealed... and got in... =D
So it's possible, but don't count on it!
Ask for feedback first, if it's something really stooooopid then obviously u can appeal :smile:
Reply 10
veryyy unlikely they will change their minds as they are a very competitive uni
it is very very very very very very very very unlikeley they will change there mind tbh.. particularly if you have no mitigating circumstances.
Reply 12
1 Economic Historian
Ask for feedback first, if it's something really stooooopid then obviously u can appeal :smile:

On what grounds was your appeal?
1 Economic Historian

you appealed and got in???!! congratulations! when was this? and what did you say to them?
Flavity
Congrats on getting in with the appeal. I would like to do this as there are several mitigating circumstances about my whole application. How do you appeal? What is the procedure?

Thanks

Thank you, and sorry for your unsuccessful application. Why were these mitigating circumstances not mentioned in your UCAS form though?
I got in by appealing, yes, however only because i was given feedback from LSE stating that the only reason I was rejected was because I was predicted a B in Maths, even though I have 470/500 in Maths already, only needing 10/100 in c4 to get an A overall! Therefore the appeal was ofcourse successful, but the offer that resulted was unfortunately ridiculous; perhaps to deter people from trying to get in by appealing?...i don't know.
The offer is: AAAa (Maths, Econ, Psych, Further Maths)+AEA Econ Distinction + AEA Maths Merit btw in case you're interested; hopefully well on the way to making it (pretty much just the AEA's to account for now).

To appeal you have to first ask for feedback, and they have to provide an academic reason which you can conclusively challenge and be able to win; this is where most people fall short (you will most likely be given generic feedback- too much competition etc or 'poor GCSE's are standard and used alot by LSE as you cannot challenge these!)- and then be able to present a coherent case whereby you can proove it was beyond your control and in fact unjust.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck guys :smile: But in all honestly, don't pin your hopes on it...
I received an offer in the end (can't help but think I deserved it since it was only because of Maths) but it's a ridiculous offer for an AAB course.
Not Economic History; Economics & Economic History. But I made it perfectly clear I will try switch to either Economics with Econ History (Econ dept.) or Bsc Econ in year 2 if I am to get in, so perhaps that's why? I was incredibly arrogant to be fair lol.
Thanks anyway mate :smile:
Reply 16
1 Economic Historian

How long did it take them to reply to your appeal? Because i appealed as well but it hasnt been acknowledged...and how does it work?? do they just say Yes like that??
rifeca88
How long did it take them to reply to your appeal? Because i appealed as well but it hasnt been acknowledged...and how does it work?? do they just say Yes like that??

It took literally about a 6 min discussion over the phone. Sorry mate, can't really talk about the standard procedure...
One word: Contacts. :cool:
Original post by Economic Historian 1
Thank you, and sorry for your unsuccessful application. Why were these mitigating circumstances not mentioned in your UCAS form though?
I got in by appealing, yes, however only because i was given feedback from LSE stating that the only reason I was rejected was because I was predicted a B in Maths, even though I have 470/500 in Maths already, only needing 10/100 in c4 to get an A overall! Therefore the appeal was ofcourse successful, but the offer that resulted was unfortunately ridiculous; perhaps to deter people from trying to get in by appealing?...i don't know.
The offer is: AAAa (Maths, Econ, Psych, Further Maths)+AEA Econ Distinction + AEA Maths Merit btw in case you're interested; hopefully well on the way to making it (pretty much just the AEA's to account for now).

To appeal you have to first ask for feedback, and they have to provide an academic reason which you can conclusively challenge and be able to win; this is where most people fall short (you will most likely be given generic feedback- too much competition etc or 'poor GCSE's are standard and used alot by LSE as you cannot challenge these!)- and then be able to present a coherent case whereby you can proove it was beyond your control and in fact unjust.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck guys :smile: But in all honestly, don't pin your hopes on it...
I received an offer in the end (can't help but think I deserved it since it was only because of Maths) but it's a ridiculous offer for an AAB course.

Hi, I am a IB student who marginally failed my offer of 38 points overall with 766 in higher level (subject not specified) at LSE (I graduated this year 2015). I know you are not an IB student so you are probably not familiar with the conditions! So we got our results this July (a month ago) and the UG admissions team at LSE told me that I marginally failed my offer and was to be informed later in August (today).

I only missed my offer because I got a 5 in Maths for higher level and my course is Politics and International Relations. So I didn't get that 766 but a 775. (So kinda similar to your case for Maths?) We don't even need maths for politics and international relations anyway..

I just checked my UCAS and found I was unsuccessful. Do you think I should talk with them for any chance of reconsideration? Any reply will be really helpful. Thx! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending