The Student Room Group
Reply 1
physicsguy
How is Richard Feynman perceived in academia? Would it be unwise of me to start my PS with a quote by him?

Yeah, if your thinking of "Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." LOL :tongue:
physicsguy
How is Richard Feynman perceived in academia? Would it be unwise of me to start my PS with a quote by him?

I can't see it would hurt - the physics dept here at Soton have a picture of him up in the lobby (although they've yet to discover digital images and A3 printers so it's a tiny little picture)
Reply 3
Linda
Yeah, if your thinking of "Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." LOL :tongue:

Hehe, no. I'll save that one for the interviews:smile:
Reply 4
Pencil Queen
I can't see it would hurt - the physics dept here at Soton have a picture of him up in the lobby (although they've yet to discover digital images and A3 printers so it's a tiny little picture)

It's your personal statment, why start if with a quote from somebody else? I personally think that finding quotes from academics/politicians just for the hell of it is pointless. Just state your case and back it up.
Reply 5
J.S.
It's your personal statment, why start if with a quote from somebody else? I personally think that finding quotes from academics/politicians just for the hell of it is pointless. Just state your case and back it up.

It has to do with why I want to study physics, I was just afraid he's not viewed as a very "serious" scientist.
Reply 6
physicsguy
It has to do with why I want to study physics, I was just afraid he's not viewed as a very "serious" scientist.

Not a very serious scientist? Richard Feynman? Your joking right? :confused:
Reply 7
Weasel

Not very conventional was what I meant.
Reply 8
May I ask what the quote is?
Reply 9
Are you kidding? Richard Feynman is God. He wouldn't have won the Noble Prize if he was some mad eccentric no one took seriously, would he?

Rosie
Reply 10
go for it, as long as the quotes relevant and you are prepared to talk about it at interview if needed. Maybe dont just state it, but expand on it and say why you think its important. and yes, he was a fantastic (and serious) scientist.
Reply 11
Who's Richard Feynman? Isn't he one of the mods?
Reply 12
Weasel

many ppl have problems with feynman. they percieve him as arrogant.
Reply 13
Yes I don't see no reason why you shouldn't use quotes.

Latest

Trending

Trending