This discussion is closed.
physicsguy
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
How is Richard Feynman perceived in academia? Would it be unwise of me to start my PS with a quote by him?
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by physicsguy)
How is Richard Feynman perceived in academia? Would it be unwise of me to start my PS with a quote by him?
Yeah, if your thinking of "Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." LOL
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I can't see it would hurt - the physics dept here at Soton have a picture of him up in the lobby (although they've yet to discover digital images and A3 printers so it's a tiny little picture)
physicsguy
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
Yeah, if your thinking of "Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." LOL
Hehe, no. I'll save that one for the interviews
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I can't see it would hurt - the physics dept here at Soton have a picture of him up in the lobby (although they've yet to discover digital images and A3 printers so it's a tiny little picture)

It's your personal statment, why start if with a quote from somebody else? I personally think that finding quotes from academics/politicians just for the hell of it is pointless. Just state your case and back it up.
physicsguy
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
It's your personal statment, why start if with a quote from somebody else? I personally think that finding quotes from academics/politicians just for the hell of it is pointless. Just state your case and back it up.
It has to do with why I want to study physics, I was just afraid he's not viewed as a very "serious" scientist.
Weasel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It has to do with why I want to study physics, I was just afraid he's not viewed as a very "serious" scientist.

Not a very serious scientist? Richard Feynman? Your joking right? :confused:
physicsguy
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Weasel)
Not very conventional was what I meant.
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
May I ask what the quote is?
crana
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Are you kidding? Richard Feynman is God. He wouldn't have won the Noble Prize if he was some mad eccentric no one took seriously, would he?

Rosie
purple
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
go for it, as long as the quotes relevant and you are prepared to talk about it at interview if needed. Maybe dont just state it, but expand on it and say why you think its important. and yes, he was a fantastic (and serious) scientist.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Who's Richard Feynman? Isn't he one of the mods?
icy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Weasel)
many ppl have problems with feynman. they percieve him as arrogant.
TubbyGirl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes I don't see no reason why you shouldn't use quotes.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (485)
51.82%
No (451)
48.18%

Watched Threads