The Student Room Group

A little help (about Dentistry)

I want to study Dentistry at uni in 2007. I'm in Year 11 now studying GCSE English Lang, English Lit, Maths, Double Award Science, I.T. (Short Course), French, Geography, French, Music and Art. I'm predicted to get A's in everything, apart from Art, which I'm predicted a B. I've already got an A in GCSE Chinese. I'm going to be studying A Level Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology and Music Technology this September. I've also attained my grade 8 distinction in electric guitar (I heard they want you to have good hand dexterity). I've planned for a weeks work experience in early September at my local dental surgery.

I'v seen a lot of people saying they had at least 4 or 5 A*s who go to med school, and I don't think I'll be getting any this year! Would this lower my chances of getting in? Is there anything else I should do (like work experience-wise) that I should consider doing?

I'm sorry if there have been similar posts already but I've not even started done my GCSE exams yet and I'm worrying already!

Thanks!
hiya, ive applied for dentistry and i only have one offer at qm. i spent my entire secondary education in a crap school so i got 9a's and 2b's for gcse. my parents then sent me to a slightly better school for my 6th form. at my interview they asked me what the differences were between my 2 schools and how they affected my gcse results. i think as long as you get mostly a's and ur a level predictions are fine ul get an interview atleast. you also should have a lot of work exp too beacause it shows that ur keen, i got my first bit of dental work exp after i did my gcses. so to cut it short i think u need to try ur hardest with ur a levels but u should be fine! pm if u need mor info. :smile:
Reply 2
Hey Lizzie, you seem to have a good foundation there!

I suggest loads of work experience....not just in Dentistry, but go for some general ones too....summer jobs with kids, go into different departments in the hosp (mircobiology etc), spend a while (even a day is fine) in a Dental Tech Lab etc. It shows that you've thought about subjects alllied to Dentistry but have still chosen Dentistry as your choice.

And work hard....cos the entry A-level grades have gone up already to AAB at some places...although I just checked UCAS and Bham, Cardiff, Glasgow, Manchester still ask for ABB, but Dundee and Bristol (but the latter says ABB - AAB), Kings, Liverpool, Newcastle, QM London and Sheffield ask for AAB...and QM Belfast ask for AAA! It's said that most of these ABB's will go up to AAB pretty soon.

But even saying that, places are increasing. I know they've increased them here at Sheffield to 85-ish for 2005 entry and I think they mean to increase it to 100 gradually.

Latest