Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which is the best uni regarding nightlife?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Sere)
    Which is the best uni regarding nightlife?
    Uni - UEA and Exeter
    City - Bristol (much as it pains me to say it), Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool, Newcastle and London

ReputationRep:
    Any of the major cities guarantees you a range of good nightlife

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Uni - UEA and Exeter
    City - Bristol (much as it pains me to say it), Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool, Newcastle and London
    Umm what do you base the 'uni' part on?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Dam)
    Umm what do you base the 'uni' part on?
    The facilities for hosting and attracting big and growing bands to play live. Some campus unis (eg Lancashire, Royal Holloway and even Birmingham) don't seem able to attract any bands and the facilities for nighttime entertainment are limited (of course where they're near enough to a big city that hardly matters), in contrast UEA and Exeter both seem able to drive the nightlife for their areas rather than providing a cheap safe alternative to non-uni entertainments.

ReputationRep:
    Well from my knowledge, its brighton.
    For both the amount of it, and the variety of places for all types of people (and at this point, i will refrain from making comments regarding [email protected] and Kemp Town).

ReputationRep:
    Well with UEA, it is the only big city for miles (well in the east on England) with the facilities to host big bands, which happens to be student union owned, which is why we get them!!! The nightlife in the city is pretty good as well, as long as you stick to studnet nights you won't go bankrupt!!! I don't think I've even found half the pubs/bars/clubs here yet and i've been here nearly 2 months now!!!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Well from my knowledge, its brighton.
    For both the amount of it, and the variety of places for all types of people (and at this point, i will refrain from making comments regarding [email protected] and Kemp Town).
    True - but Brighton uni isn't that well respected (not to say it's crap either) and Sussex Uni (the "old" uni in Brighton) is bloody miles from the town (or is it a city now) centre.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds.

Between the uni and the met, alot of bands perform in the city every years, and then there are venues like Cockpit in the city centre which are popular with bands, but there aren't any arenas so you have to go to Sheffield for that.

I think Leeds has just about every type of club you could want in the city centre, although the union itself is a bit pants! And then theres Headingley and Hyde Park which are just full of students and student pubs, and then theres always the challenge of the infamous Otley Run!

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle

ReputationRep:
    nottinghams got loads, it depends what you're looking for.
    there are lots of studenty places that go from very very cheap --> pretty expensive. theres a resonable hip hop/drum n bass scene and a couple of "alternative" clubs, but it is only a couple.
    hundreds of pubs and bars. every other place here is one.
    and lots of shoe shops for day time

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham is really, really good for nightlife. The student Guild isn't that good (IMO- some people really like it) but there are clubs and pubs for every taste in Birmingham- you name it!

ReputationRep:
    The facilities for hosting and attracting big and growing bands to play live. Some campus unis (eg Lancashire, Royal Holloway and even Birmingham) don't seem able to attract any bands and the facilities for nighttime entertainment are limited (of course where they're near enough to a big city that hardly matters), in contrast UEA and Exeter both seem able to drive the nightlife for their areas rather than providing a cheap safe alternative to non-uni entertainments.
    I would still disagree on Exeter. I love exeter, and deliberately chose to come here because it is not regarded as having the same kind of nightlife as nottingham or birmingham etc. But we only have one pub on campus. Also the university attracts a few biggish name bands but only very occasionally, there are about 3 gigs on between now and christmas.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester Academy, which is owned by the University of Manchester Student Union gets huge acts regularly! Suede, All American Rejects, Electric Six, Bob Geldoff are all on in the next few weeks. We've already had Athlete, Elbow, Super Fury Animals and that is just to name a few.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Birmingham is really, really good for nightlife. The student Guild isn't that good (IMO- some people really like it) but there are clubs and pubs for every taste in Birmingham- you name it!
    I like the Guild .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Manchester Academy, which is owned by the University of Manchester Student Union gets huge acts regularly! Suede, All American Rejects, Electric Six, Bob Geldoff are all on in the next few weeks. We've already had Athlete, Elbow, Super Fury Animals and that is just to name a few.
    Yeah manchester is the best place for gigs definately, many of my favourite bands have played there recently and although it would be cool to be there for that reason I really wasn't gonna go to manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dam)
    Yeah manchester is the best place for gigs definately, many of my favourite bands have played there recently and although it would be cool to be there for that reason I really wasn't gonna go to manchester.
    yup, manchester's where i go to gigs... although we do occasionally get bands in liverpool, there's not that many and none of the really big bands come here (except the lostprophets next year- there is a god)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Believe it or not, the nightlife isn't extreme in Cumbria

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    We've had most of those bands as well. We've also had Misteeq, The darkness, Kosheen, Starsailor, Jools Holland, The Thrills, and in December we even have the Human League!!! they haven;t announced the gig list for next term yet though, but hopefully there should be some good bands playing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    We've had most of those bands as well. We've also had Misteeq, The darkness, Kosheen, Starsailor, Jools Holland, The Thrills, and in December we even have the Human League!!! they haven;t announced the gig list for next term yet though, but hopefully there should be some good bands playing.
    LOL I was just arguing Manchester's case I'm not saying it's alone! I'm glad there are plenty of other student who get to see some proper bands.

I think we actually have identical bands coming round our respective uni venues. I forgot to mention The Darkness, Kosheen, Jools Holland and The Thrills! Didn't get Starsailor though...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2003
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.