LEA wont pay PGCE tuition fees

Watch
This discussion is closed.
J A A C K
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
My local LEA is not paying my tuition fees - stating that because I have already gained a
postgraduate qualification, under no circumstances will they pay my PGCE tuition fees.

Anyone else had this and if so any making them pay since the government states tuition fees
are paid LEA.

TIA
Martin Nicholso
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In article <[email protected] uk>, J A A C K <[email protected]> writes
[q1]>My local LEA is not paying my tuition fees - stating that because I have already gained a[/q1]
[q1]>postgraduate qualification, under no circumstances will they pay my PGCE tuition fees.[/q1]

I assume from what you say that you already have a first degree and another post graduate
qualification?

Perhaps they are short of money and feel that you have already had your share?

Just a thought.
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Anyone else had this and if so any making them pay since the government states tuition fees are[/q1]
[q1]>paid LEA.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>TIA[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Martin Nicholson, Daventry, UK

International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Centre - Observatory Code 456
http://www.gcse-ict.info/astronomy/front.htm

Does anybody really believe that Princess Diana was buried on that island?
Amadis
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Harry the Horse wrote:

[q1]> "Martin Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]>> In article <[email protected] uk>, J A A C K <[email protected]> writes[/q2]
[q2]>> >My local LEA is not paying my tuition fees - stating that because I have already gained a[/q2]
[q2]>> >postgraduate qualification, under no circumstances will they pay my PGCE tuition fees.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> I assume from what you say that you already have a first degree and another post graduate[/q2]
[q2]>> qualification?[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> Perhaps they are short of money and feel that you have already had your share?[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q1]> That would make sense. After all, there's a vast surplus of good, well qualified teachers at[/q1]
[q1]> the moment.[/q1]

I was doing supply at an inner city secondary today. There's a vacancy for an ICT teacher, but they
want another instructor, having one already. This is nothing to do with qualifications and
everything to do with costs. They have 5 teachers from Africa too because they get 5 of them for the
price of 3 home grown teachers.

A long chat with the DH revealed that recruiting cheap staff is the school and the LEA policy and
that there really isn't quite the shortage that is claimed.
`P
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"amadis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Harry the Horse wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > "Martin Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q2]
[q2]> > news:[email protected]...[/q2]
[q2]> >> In article <[email protected] uk>, J A A C K <[email protected]> writes[/q2]
[q2]> >> >My local LEA is not paying my tuition fees - stating that because[/q2]
I have
[q2]> >> >already gained a postgraduate qualification, under no[/q2]
circumstances will
[q2]> >> >they pay my PGCE tuition fees.[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> I assume from what you say that you already have a first degree and another post graduate[/q2]
[q2]> >> qualification?[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> Perhaps they are short of money and feel that you have already had[/q2]
your
[q2]> >> share?[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> > That would make sense. After all, there's a vast surplus of good,[/q2]
well
[q2]> > qualified teachers at the moment.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I was doing supply at an inner city secondary today. There's a vacancy[/q1]
for
[q1]> an ICT teacher, but they want another instructor, having one already.[/q1]
This
[q1]> is nothing to do with qualifications and everything to do with costs.[/q1]
They
[q1]> have 5 teachers from Africa too because they get 5 of them for the[/q1]
price of
[q1]> 3 home grown teachers.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

If that *is* their stated policy then they are breaking huge heaps of recrutiment/race relations
laws, there has to be no available qualified EU citizen before they can apply for a work permit for
non EU nationals.

[q1]> A long chat with the DH revealed that recruiting cheap staff is the[/q1]
school
[q1]> and the LEA policy and that there really isn't quite the shortage that[/q1]
is
[q1]> claimed.[/q1]

Well, there wouldn't be if they are recruiting like that. If you ever apply for a job in a similar
situation and they recruit a non EU teacher then it will cost them mega bucks in compo and fines.

The same thing is currently ongoing in the IT industry . . . .
--
`p
Amadis
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
`p wrote:

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "amadis" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> I was doing supply at an inner city secondary today. There's a vacancy[/q2]
[q1]> for[/q1]
[q2]>> an ICT teacher, but they want another instructor, having one already.[/q2]
[q1]> This[/q1]
[q2]>> is nothing to do with qualifications and everything to do with costs.[/q2]
[q1]> They[/q1]
[q2]>> have 5 teachers from Africa too because they get 5 of them for the[/q2]
[q1]> price of[/q1]
[q2]>> 3 home grown teachers.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> If that *is* their stated policy then they are breaking huge heaps of recrutiment/race relations[/q1]
[q1]> laws, there has to be no available qualified EU citizen before they can apply for a work permit[/q1]
[q1]> for non EU nationals.[/q1]

I think the fact that they are on temporary/long term supply contracts is a get out clause. There's
the other problem of a policy that someone will tell you about in the staffroom but wouldn't admit
elsewhere.

[q2]>> A long chat with the DH revealed that recruiting cheap staff is the[/q2]
[q1]> school[/q1]
[q2]>> and the LEA policy and that there really isn't quite the shortage that[/q2]
[q1]> is[/q1]
[q2]>> claimed.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Well, there wouldn't be if they are recruiting like that. If you ever apply for a job in a similar[/q1]
[q1]> situation and they recruit a non EU teacher then it will cost them mega bucks in compo and fines.[/q1]

The ICT job is a teacher job but they actually want an instructor. They appointed one instead of a
teacher the last time they recruited too. There are plenty of people with 'A' level IT who fit the
bill at 10k a head.

[q1]> The same thing is currently ongoing in the IT industry . . . .[/q1]

And elsewhere. Education is a major spending commitment for a Government looking for ways of
maintaining a low tax economy and it should be no surprise that there are all sorts of cost cutting
initiatives dressed up in
pseudo educational guise.It's not that different from coal. The workers who mine the coal we now
import are paid peanuts.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
34.18%
No (518)
65.82%

Watched Threads