The Student Room Group

Manchester or Durham: Physics/Nat Sci

Basically I'm still pretty stuck on which uni to go to. Overall i've got offers from all 5 (Edinburgh, Manchester, St Andrews (physics) and Durham, Leeds (Nat Sci). I'm stuck between Durham and Manchester as my firm and Edinburgh is definitly by insurance (ABB)

I visited durham on wednesday however did not stay at my college (castle), the university seemed quite nice and the city was pretty. But there were an awful lot of posh folk and southerners and it had a very fake atmoshpere. Yeah its more presitigious than Manchester for physics and nat sci, does this even matter?

Manchester is an awesome city, awesome modules and course within physics, far more relaxed and down to earth. Even though i kind of prefer manchester, i keep feeling im cutting myself short by going to the less presitigious uni. Is there even a real difference between the two? Where should i go? HELP.

Durham (Nat Sci, Castle) AA
Manchester (Physics) AA

Predicted: AAAAa
Reply 1
I thinks it probably more important to got to the university that you prefer, and the area that you like
Unless you feel whichever job you want requires a university degree from somewhere such as Durham
Suppose I'm biased towards Manchester... :-)
Reply 2
Most universities have a largely middle class student body and Durham cetainly does have one of the highest independent (non-state) intakes in the country. But even posh southern people are humans too! I don't really know what you mean about it being "fake" as I've never got that impression. I appreciate it's not to everyone's taste, the size of the city plus the large affluent student body does make it quite claustophobic to some and that's not something you'll have in Manchester (even if it's also rather middle class). I don't know what you mean by fake. I suppose open days aren't always the best time to visit a city and university and experience it. I was in Durham on Wednesday and, with all the applicants everyhere, reps etc it just was....different. I think it's always to visit a place twice if you can. On the open day, so you can see the department etc. then on just a normal, average day to explore the city. I realise this isn't always possible.

Anyway, unless the collegiate system of Durham, or the flexibility of the Natural Sciences programme appeals to you then it seems as if you've already made up your mind. It's always far more important to go to a university you think you'll prefer and be happier at. Don't really get obsessed with going to one university as it has more prestige than the other. Both are excellent universities and have excellent physics departments. Whether one has more prestige than the other, it's all meaningless. You will not harm your career prospects by going to Manchester at all.
Reply 3
I would take into consideration whether you want to do Physics, or Natural Sciences... The courses are not the same, a Physics degree will always be more specialized and if that's what you want then go to Manc.
If you love the collegiate system (like me) then go to Durham. I would have, had I got in.

Latest

Trending

Trending