Prettyinpunk1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I don't know whether to go to Birmingham City or Herts, I've spent like all day thinking about it and wanted to accept my offers today, but I still don't know where to go!
Is anyone doing Diagnostic Radiography at Herts? What do you think of the course? What is the teaching like?

I've spoken to people who have said they have heard bad things about Hertfordshire uni, but they haven't said what bad things. I know the town doesn't look so good, but it doesn't really look that much different to Perry Barr In Birmingham which is my other choice. Herts is closer to where I live, don't know if that is a good or bad thing though ahah.
Vokes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In my experience if people cant say why its normally either 4th hand information that they have taken at face value or something they dont like but dont want to say as it shouldnt really be a problem but is for them.

The main complaints I've heard are normally people who want to go out and party all the time but dont want to goto the uni bar or travel futher than Hatfield, which if that what you want to do Herts isn't ideal for. Considering London, Watford and St Albans are a only a bus / train ride away seems a bit silly to me

I dont know anything about the other uni or radiography unfortunatly but when I visited everyone seemed dead keen and helpful in the Physics and Astronomy department.

Have you been to an open day to look around them both?
Prettyinpunk1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vokes)
In my experience if people cant say why its normally either 4th hand information that they have taken at face value or something they dont like but dont want to say as it shouldnt really be a problem but is for them.

The main complaints I've heard are normally people who want to go out and party all the time but dont want to goto the uni bar or travel futher than Hatfield, which if that what you want to do Herts isn't ideal for. Considering London, Watford and St Albans are a only a bus / train ride away seems a bit silly to me

I dont know anything about the other uni or radiography unfortunatly but when I visited everyone seemed dead keen and helpful in the Physics and Astronomy department.

Have you been to an open day to look around them both?
Alright thanks
Yeah I've been to both... twice.
It really is a hard decision :lolwut:
I might just accept the Herts offer though, I didn't think about London and Watford not being far away, which I like.
MandaJR86
Report 10 years ago
I knew someone who did radiography and he thought it was a good course, he's probably graduated now though!
DoktaUH
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know two people who've done courses based in radiography type stuff. Both are really enjoying it and their only complaints are about the hospitals they're sent to for placement, but that would be the same with any uni
**R**
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hiya, sorry i'm probably a lil late with replying for this, but i do radiography at herts. I'm happy with my choice of uni, and with all aspects of the course and how it's run, lecturers are great . Without experiencing this course in other uni's I can't say if it's better than the rest, but I have no regrets on my choice.

If you have any specific course questions let me know, i'l try help you out
amt250
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Prettyinpunk1)
I don't know whether to go to Birmingham City or Herts, I've spent like all day thinking about it and wanted to accept my offers today, but I still don't know where to go!
Is anyone doing Diagnostic Radiography at Herts? What do you think of the course? What is the teaching like?

I've spoken to people who have said they have heard bad things about Hertfordshire uni, but they haven't said what bad things. I know the town doesn't look so good, but it doesn't really look that much different to Perry Barr In Birmingham which is my other choice. Herts is closer to where I live, don't know if that is a good or bad thing though ahah.
I think im going to Herts starting 09

It would be good to get to know some people before starting! But the radiography people are few and far between on these boards
Vokes
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by amt250)

It would be good to get to know some people before starting! But the radiography people are few and far between on these boards

Know the feeling, not doing radiography but Im still to find anyone doing the same as me lol.
fmckean1990
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by amt250)

i'm going there too!!!!!!
i'm so excited! i really loved it when i went there although i didn't look around Birmingham City because people were like: "you don't want to go there" but never told me why lol!

Have you applied for your accomodation yet?? where have you applied??
amt250
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fmckean1990)
i'm going there too!!!!!!
i'm so excited! i really loved it when i went there although i didn't look around Birmingham City because people were like: "you don't want to go there" but never told me why lol!

Have you applied for your accomodation yet?? where have you applied??
I just replied to your msg :P
But no, Im going to live at home and just travel in Especially as we would only be on campus half the time and the other half on placement you are going to have to travel anyway :P
amt250
Report 10 years ago
How old is everyone on here btw?
Cos I was about 20 years younger than everyone at my interview! :P
DoktaUH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Probably about 20years younger than you then :p: Most entering students are in the 18-20 range
amt250
Report 10 years ago
ooh I meant *older.
Other wise they would be like.. -2... :P

Does anyone know about the health test? And what kind of thigs would make you fail it?
DoktaUH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Health test? As far as i'm aware thats only for paramedic science.

Most students are 18-22ish but i think most years theres a few mature students who have come to retrain.
JadoYeates
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wow, I haven't been on this site for ages. Just thought I would add something as I just finished my 3rd year in Diagnostic Radiography. You don't have a proper health check, but before you go on placement the uni needs to check up on your jabs. I think they take a blood test to check you are immune to certain things...and you need to have a criminal record check too.

Lecturers are ok - some awesome, some awful but I suppose that's gonna be the same wherever you go!
Prettyinpunk1
Rep:
?
I haven't been on this website in aagess! And now I look and people have replied to this hah.
I didn't go for an interview at Herts but I went to look around with two other people and both of them were at least 20 years older than me.
But I'm 19, so there will be at least one other young person there ahah. Also when I did work experience in two hospitals there were Herts Radiography students there and while some must have been in their 30s/40s, there were younger people there as well.
steventhfc
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Prettyinpunk1)
I haven't been on this website in aagess! And now I look and people have replied to this hah.
I didn't go for an interview at Herts but I went to look around with two other people and both of them were at least 20 years older than me.
But I'm 19, so there will be at least one other young person there ahah. Also when I did work experience in two hospitals there were Herts Radiography students there and while some must have been in their 30s/40s, there were younger people there as well.
Sods law aint it ?
:p:

Ah well I'm glad you've made the right decision , to come here of course , haha.

Yeah I'm starting in September and have been told about the age varying between courses , I find it quite good to be honest. It'd be boring if everyone was the same age.
Prettyinpunk1
Rep:
?
(Original post by steventhfc)
Sods law aint it ?
:p:

Ah well I'm glad you've made the right decision , to come here of course , haha.

Yeah I'm starting in September and have been told about the age varying between courses , I find it quite good to be honest. It'd be boring if everyone was the same age.
There does seem to be a good mix of people on the course. I agree, will make it more interesting.
Whoop I seem to be finding more and more radiographers to be on this website

Oh I added you on facebook by the way, so if some random person adds you, that's me
steventhfc
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just accepted.
ninin
Report 10 years ago
I Start Radiography in Sept too!

I'm really nervous.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 12 Oct '19
    All Subjects Postgraduate
    Wed, 6 Nov '19
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (29)
6.94%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (244)
58.37%
No (145)
34.69%

Watched Threads