The Student Room Group

Class system in britain

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by YUke
Hi.
I'm from Belgium and I'm dealing with the subject ''class system in Britain''.
There are several documents on the internet that already gave me a fine approach to the facts.
But I would really appreciate the opinion from people all over the world, and especially British people.
I already know that it's a very complex situation and that the terms ''working class, upper class, middle class'' are way too vague.
Could you please help me to get a better grip on the life in England, due to the ''class system''? If you are British, do you "feel" that there still is a class ridden society? On this moment, I would rather say there is, because of 'The house of Lords' for instance.But who am I?
Thanks!

There is.
Reply 61
If you stayed on at school to do A levels, you are middle class. If not, you are working class with money. Middle class people are very sensitive to how they are percieved, and tweet things like this to exhibit their affluence:

27 Middle-Class Problems
http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/middle-class-problems

University is still a middle class thing. Working class people can go to university in Britain, get a degree, and a middle class job. They just won't have any friends in uni, or at work, and will have a paltry network in their career. A degree for a working class student is as useful as the Emporer's New Clothes. Drop out or change career, you won't look back.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kickflip
University is still a middle class thing. Working class people can go to university in Britain, get a degree, and a middle class job. They just won't have any friends in uni, or at work, and will have a paltry network in their career. A degree for a working class student is as useful as the Emporer's New Clothes. Drop out or change career, you won't look back.

What utter nonsense.
Reply 63
Original post by Kickflip
If you stayed on at school to do A levels, you are middle class. If not, you are working class with money. Middle class people are very sensitive to how they are percieved, and tweet things like this to exhibit their affluence:

27 Middle-Class Problems
http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/middle-class-problems

I call bull**** on this one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending