The Student Room Group

How to revise for GCSE History

I haven't a clue how to, you see. I realise there have been a hundred or so threads on this in the past, but I'm at that point where I need to be doing more than just Spanish orals. History, as we all know, requires extended periods of revision before the exams due to the large amount of information that needs to be remembered, but I can't think of any practical methods to do so - apart from reading from the book (which isn't all that useful) or using flash cards (which I always lose and never find particularly good anyway). Help? :confused:
Alot of it is exam technique, do a load of past papers in exam conditions and get your teachers to mark them for you. And also do what you find best to remember the actual facts. If you can form your own opinions on different things it should make them easier to remember and you'll get higher marks too. Debate things, this'll help you form your own opinions and if you can argue something verbally you should be able to do it on paper.
Reply 2
Do the past papers, make mind maps of different topics. Go through your notes over and over again even when you are bored of it lol. Make sure you look at different sources and know how to derive info from sources. You'll be fine :biggrin:
At the moment, I'm doing mind maps - I find them really useful because I just put little trigger words & statistics on them. Oh, and highlighters help, just highlight really important info, that when you just want to revise quickly, just scan over them and voila! Past questions in timed conditions help too. But remember, everyone has revision techniques that work for them individually, so whereas I can learn from mind maps, others would prefer just reading from a text book etc. etc.
Reply 4
Good tips.I might start making mind maps and posters. Fun times, lol.
Reply 5
1] Go over everything that you've been taught and if you've missed anything out or are unsure about a certain point, ask a teacher/friend/someone who can help.

2] Write everything that you know onto paper - it sounds tedious, but when you start, it's actually quite interesting and the feeling that you get when you know that you know what you need to know (hmmm) is fulfilling. Within what you do, you should write things out how they feel comfortable to you - like in a timeline, fact file, extended writing or even as if you're telling a detailed story - make it easy for yourself to remember.

3] Remember to do this pretty early so you've got everything where you want it, and there's no frantic last minute revision that might lead to an early death!

4] Don't get too involved, as there's obviously other subjects you need to revise for as well!

5] People say look over past papers - it does help some people, but if you know the content then there's no reason to fret about it. Past papers are more useful in more restrictive subjects, like Maths or Physics - but the exam technique in every subject is more important than a lot of people think, so know how your exam will be structured and the approach you need to take.

6] Have a positive attitude, because after you've done all the above (and providing you're a quick writer - that does come into play now and again) then nothing should hold a lot of fear for you at all. :smile:

PS: keep your revision papers in a safe place because losing them or not knowing where they are when the exam is looming can set alarm bells ringing.
Reply 6
I would recommend using an online resource that you can either purchase revision tools or look over facts
I would say firstly write down the key features of that time period and for each subtopic for example In medicine through time there's each time period (e.g prehistoric, renaissance, modern etc) and then the subtopic in each period (e.g fight against disease, surgery and anatomy, public health). once you're done make sure to practice exam questions and do source based work to become more familiar with it. hope that helped.
This thread was made 5 years ago.. but I guess this could help other history students!

I'd say get a revision guide, make key points on flashcards, mindmaps etc Add some colour too!
Bit late really....Lol! I say print off markschemes , memorise them!!! Worked for me! I am currently doing History IGCSE. In Yr 10 I got 100% and in Yr 11 mock i got 95% ;P
Reply 10
Original post by maryam716
I would say firstly write down the key features of that time period and for each subtopic for example In medicine through time there's each time period (e.g prehistoric, renaissance, modern etc) and then the subtopic in each period (e.g fight against disease, surgery and anatomy, public health). once you're done make sure to practice exam questions and do source based work to become more familiar with it. hope that helped.

medicine through time, what a b*tch
Original post by Mahel
medicine through time, what a b*tch

No. British Depth Study, 1939-75 is a b**ch.
Original post by WhiteButterfly
Bit late really....Lol! I say print off markschemes , memorise them!!! Worked for me! I am currently doing History IGCSE. In Yr 10 I got 100% and in Yr 11 mock i got 95% ;P

How did you revise every markscheme
Original post by TheMeister
I haven't a clue how to, you see. I realise there have been a hundred or so threads on this in the past, but I'm at that point where I need to be doing more than just Spanish orals. History, as we all know, requires extended periods of revision before the exams due to the large amount of information that needs to be remembered, but I can't think of any practical methods to do so - apart from reading from the book (which isn't all that useful) or using flash cards (which I always lose and never find particularly good anyway). Help? :confused:

I managed to get the powerpoints my teachers uses in class and made big A2 mindmaps for each topics and stuck them on the bedroom wall. Now I'm finding possible sources and analysing them.
Original post by tropical-twist3
Alot of it is exam technique, do a load of past papers in exam conditions and get your teachers to mark them for you. And also do what you find best to remember the actual facts. If you can form your own opinions on different things it should make them easier to remember and you'll get higher marks too. Debate things, this'll help you form your own opinions and if you can argue something verbally you should be able to do it on paper.

What should I do? I am doing the new GCSE History, first exams in 2018. There is a lot of content, and no past papers. What would you suggest?
Original post by euanjamie
What should I do? I am doing the new GCSE History, first exams in 2018. There is a lot of content, and no past papers. What would you suggest?

Again, mindmaps are super useful. Tailor your mindmaps towards your exam questions, for example if there is a question like 'Give two consequences of *insert event* then when making mindmaps on events, make sure to have a bit where you have two consequences written down. You need to read over your mindmaps regularly so you have memorised them by the time of your exams.

Make quizlets or flashcards on key dates and facts.

Find practice questions in your textbook, or the specimen ones online. You could even make some up or buy revision guides which always have a couple of exam-style questions. Practise them and ask your teacher to mark them. Exam technique is key.
Reply 16
Original post by euanjamie

I've just come across Seneca Learning, which has courses for different History topics and exam boards. I've found it really useful in helping me understand everything and remember it..
There are probably other good online resources also, but this is the one I came across and found effective, and it's free!
Reply 17
How early should I start to revise history before exams and is a few months alright to get a very good grade
thank you! that's really helpful!!
Reply 19
For anyone studying the Medicine Through Time or Medicine in Britain course, I'd recommend revising with the Jack Hartell books from Amazon. Super concise, very easy to understand and perfect revision for all grades! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest