This discussion is closed.
Nk
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Whats the difference exactly? I know UMS is the mark you get in light of everyone's performance(i
think)...but how much different can it be from the raw mark? Also, this might be obvious but still -
do all boards use UMS or do some just publish the raw mark and have fixed grade boundaries?

If someone gets 60/100 as thier raw mark, can that in be a 'B' one year and an 'A' another year(or
C, or any other grade) depending on the overall performance in that particular year?

thanks for listening..any thoughts are appreciated... /nk
John Porcella
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"nk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Whats the difference exactly? I know UMS is the mark you get in light of everyone's performance(i[/q1]
[q1]> think)...[/q1]

Correct.

but how much different can it be
[q1]> from the raw mark?[/q1]

It depends on the severity of the paper and how well people did against it.

Also, this might be obvious but still - do all
[q1]> boards use UMS[/q1]

Yes, the 'U' stands for 'uniform'.

or do some just publish the raw mark and have fixed
[q1]> grade boundaries?[/q1]

No.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> If someone gets 60/100 as thier raw mark, can that in be a 'B' one year and an 'A' another year(or[/q1]
[q1]> C, or any other grade) depending on the overall performance in that particular year?[/q1]

Precisely, though the Chief Examiner would not be too pleased to see massive differences from one
sitting to another as it would imply that he is incapable of setting a standard examination.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> thanks for listening..any thoughts are appreciated...[/q1]

"Listening?" On Usenet?

--
MESSAGE ENDS. John Porcella
[q1]> /nk[/q1]
Rikki Prince
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"nk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:60afdc0a.0206241920.7ce1e[email protected]...
[q1]> Whats the difference exactly? I know UMS is the mark you get in[/q1]
light
[q1]> of everyone's performance(i think)...but how much different can it[/q1]
be

I'm not sure how much it is entirely reliant on other people's performances. There must be some
independant factor that rates how difficult the paper was as well. For example, I'm sure I was told
at GCSE or even KS3, that the length of papers is based on how long it takes for a maths teacher to
do it (eg. if it takes an hour for the maths teacher to do it, the students get 3 hours, that kind
of proportion). [NB. I can't remember if the lying maths teacher told us that one, so it may be
complete BS] That sounds like a reasonable guide. Whilst doing practice papers there were some
occasions when we came up against a tricky question, and even our teacher (who's a good
mathematician) had to think for a while to work out exactly what method was needed to solve it, so
if it takes them longer, it's going to take us a lot longer - hence it's a tougher paper and in
90minutes we are unlikely to finish it, so the UMS can suit this.

Rikki
Nk
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]>>thanks for listening..any thoughts are appreciated...[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "Listening?" On Usenet?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

thanks anyway ;-)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
34.05%
No (521)
65.95%

Watched Threads