Turn on thread page Beta

What grades to you potential oxbridge ppl have? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Is this another "lets all compete to see who's got the most ridiculous number of A*s so we can marvel at our own intellectual superiority" -type thread? I suspect so... :rolleyes:
    Yes, probably.... but I thought I'd join in anyway -- I haven't had a chance to on any of the earlier ones

ReputationRep:
    I have worse GCSE's (well IGCSE's) than all the people who have posted in this thread thus far. I'm still giving it a shot though xthup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Terrible, ain't it...
    looks like it is 2me:-p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    I have worse GCSE's (well IGCSE's) than all the people who have posted in this thread thus far. I'm still giving it a shot though xthup

Fear not, Kildare - I 'only' got 3A*, 5As and 1B at GCSE, and I still managed to get pooled by the Cambridge college I applied to (St Catharine's). However, it is worth bearing in mind that Cambridge certainly do pay attention to your GCSEs, and if they are deemed comparitively weaker than other applicants', this could well disadvantage you. My GCSE grades were mentioned in the interview feedback from St Catharine's as one of the reasons for my eventual rejection - though it must be stressed that this was only one factor among several.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE: 2A* 7A 1B 1C

AS: AAAA

Quite an improvement! Should I tell cambridge I went through a phase of not trying very hard in year 10/11?

ReputationRep:
    1*, 7A's 1 B
    AS ABBC
    - we dont get told our predicted grades. but anyway. im applying to oxford to do medicine. if they dont want be they dont want me. I have 6 retakes so ill be busy this year.
    I have my reasons!

ReputationRep:
    GCSE:

1 A*
    6 A
    1 D
    1 F

(yes, argh!!! indeed. that said, they were a while ago, i spent a year in employment before doing A levels, so hopefully it shouldn't be too bigger deal.)

AS level:

AAAAA

A level predicted:

AAA

ReputationRep:
    Well In My GCSE Exams I got:

English Literature: A*
    Religious Education: A*
    History: A*
    Science: A*
    Science: A*
    English Language A
    English Speaking & Listening:A
    Mathematics: A
    Graphic Products: A
    Business Studies: A
    French: A

AM I OXBRIDGE MATERIAL OR IS IT NOT GOOD ENOUGH?

ReputationRep:
    Doh.

Everyone seems to have ridiculously good GCSEs and are taking ungodly amounts of A-Levels.

*hides in a corner*

ReputationRep:
    well, if people are taking more than 4 a-levels (excluding gen studies) then i think they should get a life. you only need to do 3 full a-levels, with an extra AS. That is the norm, and thats what Uni's want. Anything else is just extra for yourself, and has no benefit for getting into a good uni.

e.g.) a guy gets 3A's at full a-level and an A at AS Level
    a guy gets 4a's at full a-level and an A AT AS Level.

there is no preference for doing pointlessly more.

it will be determined by factors such as interview, personal statemnt, any test the uni sets, and personality.

I chose Mathematics (Pure and stats), Physics, Economics, Computing and Gen Studies (compulsory).

ReputationRep:
    dear mr white, iv come to the conclusion that U r not human, with that many grades im concluding that your some kind of super artificial intelegent being sent by the squirls to try AND TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

or was that a cartoon?

LOOK A SQUIRREL! *skips happily away.......

ReputationRep:
    I would rather ahve my grades anyday of the week than Mr White, and so would oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyuuki)
    dear mr white, iv come to the conclusion that U r not human, with that many grades im concluding that your some kind of super artificial intelegent being sent by the squirls to try AND TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

or was that a cartoon?

LOOK A SQUIRREL! *skips happily away.......
    Oh no, my secret is out!

Fly, my pretties! *releases winged monkeys*

ReputationRep:
    personally, i belive photoshop has been the thorn in my education, ever since i discoverd my love for design and media advertising all my other subjects have slowly floped, philosophy being the next victim,

but sein as im not going to oxbridge i dun have to worry about that

woot for graphics degree !

ReputationRep:
    GCSE: 3 A*s, 4 As, 1 B, 3 Cs
    AS: AABB

Hoping to do Maths at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    you wont be doing maths at cambridge with a b and 3 c's at gcse and 2 b's in AS Levels mate, not when its so competitive. sorry, but i gotta be truthful. a girl in here got few 2 stars, mainly a's and 3 b's, with straight A grade predictions, yet it was her gcse results that mainly cost her a place, despite being pooled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BABYGUY)
    you wont be doing maths at cambridge with a b and 3 c's at gcse and 2 b's in AS Levels mate, not when its so competitive. sorry, but i gotta be truthful. a girl in here got few 2 stars, mainly a's and 3 b's, with straight A grade predictions, yet it was her gcse results that mainly cost her a place, despite being pooled.
    As long as the person is good at maths and has the potential that oxbridge want then they should be fine. You seem very certain that you know what you are talking about even though you probably do not have any experience of the admissions system at oxbridge. Maybe it should be left to the admissions tutors to decide.

ReputationRep:
    bad guy, dont put the poor lad down, aspiration is the most powerfull thing you can haven, hell get knowhere if everone just shot him down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyuuki)
    bad guy, dont put the poor lad down, aspiration is the most powerfull thing you can haven, hell get knowhere if everone just shot him down.
    I ain't letting this loser say anything to affect me! I coasted GCSEs (literally did no work) hence the slack grades, but I have a real desire to do Maths at uni, and the commitment to work hard. And the potential is there! I always get the top grades in Maths. So all the haters can hush!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BABYGUY)
    i cant believe how rude that is. do you have the authority to say that? i know several people personally who got alot worse grades and are at oxbridge. Oxbridge have the brains to look past some letters at interview and actually see what this person is. i personally dont believe you have the right to put him down so badly, people need hope and things like that just ruin it.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2004
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.