What grades to you potential oxbridge ppl have?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
BABYGUY
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well Don, Looks Like I Will Be Seeing You In Oxford Then. You Are Certain To Be Going Into Oxford Wit Those Grades Mate, Well Done
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by theone)
However, an A grade or a high grade does indicate potential to succeed at a higher level, since it implies comprehension and familiarity with the work done.
I'm not all that sure about that. What if someone's ability in a subject only stretches to an A at A-Level, and they couldn't hack it at degree level? That's why Oxbridge have the interviews, to see if the applicant can hack it (by way of assessing potential).
jigar
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by BABYGUY)
??? Why Is It Ludicras? Gcse's Are Qualifications, Tehrefore Gcse's Are Important For Applying To Oxford. The Idea Is That People With High Grade Qualifcations Go To Good Uni's......its Called The Education System.
Of course GCSEs are important, though the level of competence in a subject required to get a high grade at GCSE is arguable. However, I am sure there are many worthy candidates without sparkling GCSE results. AS-Level results are more useful to the Cambridge tutors, I feel - that's why they want the marks for every module of every subject I've taken at AS-level.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well Don, Looks Like I Will Be Seeing You In Oxford Then. You Are Certain To Be Going Into Oxford Wit Those Grades Mate, Well Done
No, grades dont mean jack all to the examiners. Though they want to see u get the grades, ie their minimum offer, but to get the minimum offer, u have to be like show u are the right person. I know this person in my school, who is like Yorkshire chess champion, and wants to study law. He is like got 11A* as well but missed his step papers by 1 grade. even though he like got 4 A's. But because if his grade cam said "fuk off" (not actual words)
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
??? Why Is It Ludicras? Gcse's Are Qualifications, Tehrefore Gcse's Are Important For Applying To Oxford. The Idea Is That People With High Grade Qualifcations Go To Good Uni's......its Called The Education System.
For Oxbridge applicants, GCSEs are a piece of piss. Not a useful indicator of ability or potential.
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I Dont Get All Of This. There Are People With A Couple Of A Stars, A Lot Of A's And A Couple Of B's Who Pretty Consistenyl Get Into Oxbridge, So How On Earth Can A Straight A Star Gcse Kid, Who Got Straight A's At A-level, Get Rejected? How On Earth Does That Bloody Work?
jigar
Report 17 years ago
I Dont Get All Of This. There Are People With A Couple Of A Stars, A Lot Of A's And A Couple Of B's Who Pretty Consistenyl Get Into Oxbridge, So How On Earth Can A Straight A Star Gcse Kid, Who Got Straight A's At A-level, Get Rejected? How On Earth Does That Bloody Work?
The stars after the A's on the sheet containing the applicants' exam results don't shine so brightly in front of the tutors.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Because they don't prove their potential, and for several of them their personalities are non-existent or bad. And they will not in the universities' point of view get the full benefit of the university experience. And on a more cynical note, it might be to make way for the sort of people Oxbridge are trying to entice to remove the stereotypes... I don't believe that one though...
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jigar)
The stars after the A's on the sheet containing the applicants' exam results don't shine so brightly in front of the tutors.
Excellent analogy.

BABYGUY, the harsh fact is that cam wanted the guy from my school, (they offered him BBB for law!) but had to reject him as he missed a gradef fro on of the step papers.
Ben.S.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It works because further education (degrees and beyond) is more than just factual recall.

Ben
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Excellent analogy.

BABYGUY, the harsh fact is that cam wanted the guy from my school, (they offered him BBB for law!) but had to reject him as he missed a gradef fro on of the step papers.
step paper?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
step paper?
Yes, i think its some maths thing
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Yes, i think its some maths thing
You said he applied to do Law... how could he do STEP?
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Well when I visited Cambridge the six colleges I visited all mentioned potential much more than proven ability. Straight from the horses' mouths. So go masturbate.

In an ideal world, Oxbridge would value 'potential' rather than academic grades to date. However, i suspect that they are slightly 2 faced over this issue - they want to have their cake and eat it, so to speak ie students with original spark which is revealed at interview, AND who have top formal exam grades. It's very odd that offers are made very much on the quality of the interview, yet when the student misses a 2 on his/her STEP paper, suddenly their Oxbridge dreams are shattered. If Oxbridge truely valued potential as much as they say they do, then shouldn't all offers be unconditional?
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
In an ideal world, Oxbridge would value 'potential' rather than academic grades to date. However, i suspect that they are slightly 2 faced over this issue - they want to have their cake and eat it, so to speak ie students with original spark which is revealed at interview, AND who have top formal exam grades. It's very odd that offers are made very much on the quality of the interview, yet when the student misses a 2 on his/her STEP paper, suddenly their Oxbridge dreams are shattered. If Oxbridge truely valued potential as much as they say they do, then shouldn't all offers be unconditional?
A person with 10 Gs at GCSE has the potential to improve on them. In this sense potental is present but would you have them at Oxbridge?

The point is that they want to see that not only can you hack it at Oxbridge but that you have already realised that potential in some way, and you have not just hacked it but smashed it at a lower level.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Grades aren't everything for Oxbridge.
Bumblebee3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Happens all the time. People may or may not have reached their academic potential at GCSE. There are those who are capable of an A* at GCSE who have reached their full potential and don't do nearly as well at A' level. Then there are those who continue on to get good A' level grades but aren't right in some way for Oxbridge. That's what the interviews are for.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
You said he applied to do Law... how could he do STEP?
STEP used to be taken in all subjects if I'm not mistaken until a few years ago when they were replaced by AEA's. However, Maths was a subject still judged to have needed the STEP paper to discriminate between candidates.
rzarektah
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
about something someone said before about gcse's not mattering
they do, oxbridge want people who are well balanced so gettin A's in 4 subjects is not enough, they expect at least 5A's at GCSE as well so you have a good foundation in wide ranging topics

I got 5A*,4A's,2B's, 1 Dist, 1 Merit
and 4A's for AS
BABYGUY
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Oxbridge hate people with Any B and C grades at GCSE. they really like a clean sweep of A's and A*'s, at GCSE and A-level. B and C grades stand out and put you at a bit of a disadvantage.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (480)
51.84%
No (446)
48.16%

Watched Threads